Wiki Posts
Search

AS to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
AS to HNL

My wife and I are going to HNL in July. Our first no-kids vacation of any length in over 5 years. I cashed in ~240K miles to get first class both directions and we plan to spend 5 nights in HNL in July.

Not having experienced AS's SEA to HNL service before, can anyone give me a heads-up on the nature and quality of the meals on AS851/2?

Also, we like to hike and appreciate good food at good prices and the odd night club/concert/comedy show. Any suggestions? We'll be staying at the Aqua Bamboo and I was thinking of renting a car, but it'll come out to ~$250 between the rental and the hotel parking. If I forego the car, will it seriously limit our mobility or are taxis and feet going to do the job for less money?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Check this thread for a discourse on the F service to/from HI. I personally don't think you'll be disappointed!

My best recommendation for good food at good prices is Kincaid's Check out their happy hour from 4-7 and after 10 nightly for 1/2 price appetizers and great drink specials in the bar. This is a Restaurant's Unlimited place, so you might be familiar with one of their other brands such as: Cutters Bayhouse, Fondi, Maggie Bluff's, Palisade, Palomino, Stanford's, Stanley and Seafort's, Simon and Seafort's.

As for the car, I would highly recommend it, as there is plenty more to do on Oahu besides Waikiki (north shore, Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, etc); however, that really depends upon your preferences and style. FWIW, you may be able to find street parking and avoid the parking fee at the hotel - it is not easy, but I made it through a couple of days this way in March. Depends if you're comfortable with city driving, and have a bit of patience...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Check this thread for a discourse on the F service to/from HI. I personally don't think you'll be disappointed!

My best recommendation for good food at good prices is Kincaid's Check out their happy hour from 4-7 and after 10 nightly for 1/2 price appetizers and great drink specials in the bar. This is a Restaurant's Unlimited place, so you might be familiar with one of their other brands such as: Cutters Bayhouse, Fondi, Maggie Bluff's, Palisade, Palomino, Stanford's, Stanley and Seafort's, Simon and Seafort's.

As for the car, I would highly recommend it, as there is plenty more to do on Oahu besides Waikiki (north shore, Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation, etc); however, that really depends upon your preferences and style. FWIW, you may be able to find street parking and avoid the parking fee at the hotel - it is not easy, but I made it through a couple of days this way in March. Depends if you're comfortable with city driving, and have a bit of patience...
Thanks for the tips!

I guess we can expect a pretty good F experience. I'm particularly looking forward to the pinapple/macadamia sundae...

I'm pretty familiar with Restaurants Unlimited and I think they're at their best at happy hour. I'll check out Kincaid's for sure.

As for the car, I've been on the fence about it but it sounds like it's worth the investment.

Best,
IStream
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by IStream
My wife and I are going to HNL in July. Our first no-kids vacation of any length in over 5 years. I cashed in ~240K miles to get first class both directions and we plan to spend 5 nights in HNL in July.
You just spent $5,000 worth of mileage. What's another $250. Seriously, 240K miles can get you just about anywhere in the world in F so you must do everything to get the most out of this trip. Be sure to shop around for your car.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Check Budget. When I was in HNL earlier this year my car totaled ~$90 for a four day rental with taxes. I had a Malibu.

Of course, parking is another ball of wax. If you get the car, make sure you go to Alan Wong's on King Street. It's hidden and far from the beach, but the food is fantastic.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by westcoastman
You just spent $5,000 worth of mileage. What's another $250. Seriously, 240K miles can get you just about anywhere in the world in F so you must do everything to get the most out of this trip. Be sure to shop around for your car.
Yeah, this was a tough one. I would've loved to head to Europe or Asia and would've done so in a heartbeat if we had 10 days, but we only had 5 and I figured the 7-9 hour time difference would've thrown us both for a loop for too much of the trip.

The psychology of miles is funny. I'm sitting on ~750K miles. I looked at the coach awards and it would've been 140K for the two us round-trip, so I figured it was worth the 100K splurge to go F. Cash is a different matter. I got a great rate on the room, so my total cash outlay for flights + lodging is ~$650. Add another $500 for meals and you're still in kilobuck territory. You're right, $250 ain't much in the context of a once every 5 years trip but the cheapskate in me says "but it's an extra 20% cash outlay"...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Check Budget. When I was in HNL earlier this year my car totaled ~$90 for a four day rental with taxes. I had a Malibu.

Of course, parking is another ball of wax. If you get the car, make sure you go to Alan Wong's on King Street. It's hidden and far from the beach, but the food is fantastic.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the tip. Alamo seems to be running the best rates right now at ~$25/day but Budget's pretty close. Parking at the hotel is $18/day but if I can find on-street, it'll be a no-brainer and even if I have to pay the hotel, it's not bad overall.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Thanks for the tip. Alamo seems to be running the best rates right now at ~$25/day but Budget's pretty close. Parking at the hotel is $18/day but if I can find on-street, it'll be a no-brainer and even if I have to pay the hotel, it's not bad overall.
I'd just park at the hotel and not worry about it. That way you don't have to worry about it. $18 isn't that bad for parking. Well worth it, IMO.

When I went, I wavered about getting a car. I don't think I would have lasted without one.

By the way, if you could, write a TR when you get back. I might be going back to HNL in Sept/Oct and I'm wavering about flying NW or AS. It'll put me close to Gold and I'm interested in trying the AS first product over there. Though if NW brings the A330 back, it's a no brainer.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Depending upon how much traveling you want to do around Oahu, you can take the "Circle Isle" bus routes. Details are at:

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Oahu-S...de-With-TheBus

And a 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin article also describes the experience. It's not as flexible as having your own vehicle, but it is a lot less expensive.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I was able to priceline a convertible on Maui for $25 a day for next week.

Stuff you'll want to see/do on Oahu is pretty spread out, It's totally worth the car rental to not have to rely on a public or tour bus to get around.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Parking around Waikiki is horrible. I suggest you pay for hotel parking to avoid this hassle, especially you only got 5 days.

BW
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I say you figure out your rough itinerary and see what you'd be comfortable doing with/without a car- and possibly even rent a car DURING the day for a couple of days, and return the car to the rental agency at the end of the day (and thus don't have to pay for your car to sit idle at your hotel). When I go to LAX for a weekend, this is what I do- I don't rent the car until Saturday day, and return it Saturday night, and save $ from hotel parking.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Parking around Waikiki is horrible. I suggest you pay for hotel parking to avoid this hassle, especially you only got 5 days.

BW
I'd socond this, if you only have 5 days, you don't want to spend hours messing around with parking spaces and one parking ticket will pretty much eat up any savings you accomplished. Driving up to the North Shore in a convertable is really nice ... if possible, I'd splurge and try for that or as another poster mentioned, hit priceline for one.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Getting the car

Thanks to Missy, ANC RED-EYE, BW Flyer, eponymous coward, westcoastman, tusphotog, greg wiggins, jcrossen for the advice. I have booked the car, google mapped the restaurants, and am heading to the store for the guidebook!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The psychology of miles is funny. I'm sitting on ~750K miles. I looked at the coach awards and it would've been 140K for the two us round-trip, so I figured it was worth the 100K splurge to go F.
NWA is available in F at the lower level for nearly every day in July. So basically you're paying an extra 100K or so for a couple DVD player rentals and maybe slightly nicer food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.