Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big QX cuts in GEG

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Big QX cuts in GEG

Lost in the press release for new MSP and KOA service from SEA - Alaska/Horizon is cutting the (1) nonstop flight from GEG to SMF and the (2) nonstops from GEG to LAX! The LAX runs will now run via a stop in BOI. While the schedules aren't loaded I'm assuming that means a Q400 running GEG-BOI-LAX, since QX currently operates BOI-LAX with the Q400. Additionally that'll eliminate the current (2) one stops from GEG to SMF via BOI.

Big cuts! Just a year ago AS was running a 737-900 nonstop from GEG to LAX.

There's been a thread on a pilot website questioning whether QX could pull off a GEG-LAX on the Q400. Guess this answers that. GEG-LAX is Horizon's longest current route and it uses the CRJ-700's and we know those are going away. Maybe this is the first of many cuts as QX removes the fleet type.

While this is a pretty hefty reduction by Alaska/Horizon, can we assume it's a victory for ExpressJet? It runs GEG-SMF/LAX/ONT all nonstop. The LAX runs as Delta Connection but my understanding is ExpressJet takes all risks with the route.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, if the fuel costs for direct jet service are bad for some of those routes, it might count as "pyrrhic" victory ("Great! You win the prize of running money-losing rout- um, wait...")

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...probably-toast
Old May 21, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
QX Saving Face......

The QX routing through BOI has to be a face-saving measure at best.

I can't imagine a GEG-based flyer ever taking that route when:

(1) Mainline connections are still available through SEA (although the opportunity to upgrade may be limited), and

(2) The Delta Connection (Express Jet-operated) nonstop flights allow MP miles to be obtained via the partner.

It will be interesting to see what the fares go to on the GEG/LAX route. It's been a bloodbath for about a year now.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:03 am
Suspended

No more non-stops LAX-GEG on Horizon OR Delta/ExpressJet

Wow - ExpressJet and Delta announced yesterday that they are ending their Delta Connection relationship which means that LAX-GEG is going from 240 seats a day today (70x2 on Horizon and 50x2 on ExpressJet/Delta Connection) to 0 as of Sept 1, with the only non-stop flights left from the LA area into GEG out of Ontario on ExpressJet.

Any thoughts on what this will mean for Alaska/Horizon for this market? I would hope this would help the chances of a return of non-stop 737 service like there was up until a year ago.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

...and ExpressJet is all but likely to cease its branded operation sometime this fall. Not guaranteed but expected with the new Continental agreement. If and when that happens GEG will be left without the 100 seats a day to Ontario too!

In 6 months GEG has seen 5 SMF nonstops disappear (3 XJ, 2 QX); 2 SAN nonstops disappear (1 XJ, 1 QX); 4 LAX nonstops disappear (2 DL/XJ, 2 QX); 1 RNO nonstop disappear (XJ); 1 TUS nonstop disappear (XJ). That's 13 nonstops! And it'll be 16 when ExpressJet drops branded service to ONT (2 daily) and SAN (1 daily).

I thought Alaska/Horizon's pulldown of LAX nonstops was silly to begin with. Who wants to ride a Q400 one-stop through Boise? oc2005 is right: it'll be interesting to see if AS brings back the once daily 737 nonstop.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I believe that AS's reaction has been normal. When there are effectively three sets of competitors, AS/QX couldn't make money and changed their schedule appropriately. Now the ExpressJet will apparently discontinue service, then I would expect to see AS return mainline service on the GEG-LAX route.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
I believe that AS's reaction has been normal. When there are effectively three sets of competitors, AS/QX couldn't make money and changed their schedule appropriately. Now the ExpressJet will apparently discontinue service, then I would expect to see AS return mainline service on the GEG-LAX route.
I agree. It's a different world now that Delta is pulling out. With no direct competition, I have to believe that AS will start with a daily 700 or 400(probably early morning, returning late evening) and work their way up from there. It may be early 2009 before they can work that into the schedule. This is now a niche route, which is what Alaska likes, but not at the expense of the WestMost schedule.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:03 am
Suspended

By all indications GEG-LAX was unprofitable for AS before and was largely operated to rotate aircraft for the morning bank of flights to Mexico. With oil significantly higher and demand softening, I don't think GEG-LAX will return. This route is very well served via SEA (like 16+ connecting opportunities) in addition to PDX and BOI.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure the Q400 can do GEG-LAX nonstop. Some pilots over on a different message board have debated this specific route for the Q400 & there's a lot of thought it's too long. Maybe that's why AS/QX is running the Q400 via BOI on GEG-LAX this fall.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: WN | UA
Its hard to believe that the only flights for AS/QX from GEG will be SEA, PDX, BOI,

With all of this, I can only see WN expanding with their already existing service from GEG to SEA, PDX, BOI, OAK, SLC, LAS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see F9 or UA cut DEN down. NW's 2nd MSP flight would probably be gone and I dont know about US' PHX.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joechickens
Its hard to believe that the only flights for AS/QX from GEG will be SEA, PDX, BOI,

With all of this, I can only see WN expanding with their already existing service from GEG to SEA, PDX, BOI, OAK, SLC, LAS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see F9 or UA cut DEN down. NW's 2nd MSP flight would probably be gone and I dont know about US' PHX.
WN hasn't expanded in GEG for quite a few years - since LAS was added. It's not a growing market and AS will continue to have a strong position.

If anyone leaves, it will be F9 or US. UA has a pretty loyal following.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
WN hasn't expanded in GEG for quite a few years - since LAS was added. It's not a growing market and AS will continue to have a strong position.

If anyone leaves, it will be F9 or US. UA has a pretty loyal following.
WN's T100 Load factors are really bad for GEG...especially PDX and BOI service. Until things cool down on the oil front and heat up on the economic front, don't plan on any new non-stop service from GEG for awhile.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

It's official: ExpressJet disappears Sept. 2

ExpressJet quietly announced, after the close of markets Tuesday, that it is discontinuing all branded, scheduled operations September 2. This was predicted. ExpressJet will retain it's branded, charter operations but everything else goes back to Continental Express.

So for Spokane...it's quite the fall from 6 months ago! Nothing nonstop to the LA basin. In the matter of 2 days, ExpressJet pulls 2 dailies to LAX and 2 to ONT. If you look at their numbers for ONT, XJ pulled good load factors (don't know about yield/revenue per seat).

Curious what AS/QX will do, if anything. My hunch is they already market planned without ExpressJet operating long-term...so nothing changes.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:54 am
Original Poster

United cuts GEG-ORD

It doesn't directly compete with AS but United is axing its decades-long-running GEG-ORD nonstop in November. And UA is cutting GEG-DEN down to just 2 daily. Surprised that UA doesn't keep running ORD with United Express...Spokane is just getting clobbered this fall with reductions.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by n7371f
It doesn't directly compete with AS but United is axing its decades-long-running GEG-ORD nonstop in November. And UA is cutting GEG-DEN down to just 2 daily. Surprised that UA doesn't keep running ORD with United Express...Spokane is just getting clobbered this fall with reductions.
I read this online yesterday too. Quite a shocker. I thought the GEG-ORD route would be pretty solid but I guess with the parking of several older 737s, something has to give. Leaving just two flights to DEN means fewer connection options and more travelling time for some destinations sadly. As it stands now, both of the GEG-DEN flights are going to be those all Y ex-Ted A320s...so no F from GEG any longer. And those EM2s to SEA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.