Bye Bye AS

Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Cool Bye Bye AS

After 30 flights and 120 segments to Mexico from YVR, there is a new player in the game. Westjet started flying to SJD last December. No more getting up at 4:00 a.m. to make the early flight to Mexico, and the very best part, no more LAX!! This winter all the talk around the pool from the Canucks was the new route. I will still use my points on Alaska to fly one way in November as WS doesn't start til December but otherwise, bye bye. I have nothing but good things to say about AS, no lost baggage and very few delays. Everyone I ever dealt with was great from Mileage Plan, check-in and flight crews. So adios AS and thanks for everything.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Adieu! Tant pis pour toi. Mais, alors, il y aura plus de siege en premiere pour moi!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by Nobbi
Adieu! Tant pis pour toi. Mais, alors, il y aura plus de siege en premiere pour moi!
For our non Francophone FTers, this is approximately "Farewell! Too bad for you. But, then, there will be more seats in F for me!"
Nobbi, I presume you mean upgrade space. Not paid F.

Regardless, WestJet (WS) is fascinating. Driving by PSP this afternoon, there were three WS 737s parked at the gates, and only one AS 737.

Last edited by dieselbear; Apr 20, 2008 at 1:02 am Reason: Updating WestJet IATA Code
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:39 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
hmm I think that AS rates to mexico are fairly good and competitive. Although I have no experience flying out of YVR or Canada for that matter. Usually they are + or - $25 to $50 of all the other US airlines. Aeromexico and some others are cheaper out of LAX but Mexico operated airlines arent exactly on the top of my list of trusted foreign airlines
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
$50 or even $100 more is a small price to pay to avoid a stop over in the U.S. especially on the return trip, where you have to recheck your bags as well as change terminals. It's about 4.5 hours compared to AS's fastest at 6 hours and it leaves at 11:00 a.m. a rather civilized time.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:04 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bajacondo
$50 or even $100 more is a small price to pay to avoid a stop over in the U.S. especially on the return trip, where you have to recheck your bags as well as change terminals. It's about 4.5 hours compared to AS's fastest at 6 hours and it leaves at 11:00 a.m. a rather civilized time.
well I can fully understand wanting to avoid layovers...especially when you have to change terminals Yeah I agree $50 or $100 is worth it to avoid that hassle!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bajacondo
It is hard to argue with a non-stop flight on a brand new 737 with personal IFE and live TV.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dieselbear
For our non Francophone FTers, this is approximately "Farewell! Too bad for you. But, then, there will be more seats in F for me!"
Nobbi, I presume you mean upgrade space. Not paid F.

Regardless, WestJet (WS) is fascinating. Driving by PSP this afternoon, there were three WS 737s parked at the gates, and only one AS 737.

Yes, I meant U bucket.

And sorry re the French. Whenever I think of Canada, I go into French mode. Despite the fact I know BC is anglophone--I got married there!

Originally Posted by sxf24
It is hard to argue with a non-stop flight on a brand new 737 with personal IFE and live TV.

I'm sure I would also prefer a direct MEX to CDN flight without having to deal with Big Brother.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nobbi
I'm sure I would also prefer a direct MEX to CDN flight without having to deal with Big Brother.
You could move to Mexico or Canada - then those flights would be domestic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.