Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Cholula
Before the Alaska Airlines Lounge is officially launched today, I'd like to give special thanks to Canarsie who is a valued member of FlyerTalk. And whose bust you'll see displayed right inside the entrance door to our Lounge.
I am honored...I think...

Anyway, I just dropped by to see what condition my condition was in...

...er...I mean...

...I just dropped by to wish everybody in the Alaska Airlines forum a successful and fun Lounge™ experience.

As an aside, I have been a passenger on Alaska Airlines several times, even back in the days when I earned TWA miles from a round-trip flight between Fairbanks and Barrow. I have been to Denali National Park, rented a cabin along the river near the park, eaten fresh salmon aboard a cruise on a small boat in the Kenai fjords near Seward, hiked up Exit Glacier, eaten at the northernmost Pizza Hut on the planet, stayed in Anchorage twice, did the touristy thing of dipping my toe into the Arctic Ocean in Barrow and ate at Arctic Pizza there, and traveled the Alaska Rail Road from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

I truly enjoyed Alaska and hope to return yet again some day. My third time to Alaska does not count, as that was simply a stop on my way from Atlanta to San Francisco...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by BOB W
Done..let me know when your back in town. Jackal & eastwest can be the impartial judges, unless they want to compete.
Oh jeez...
Thanks! This should be an exciting event

Originally Posted by akdude
Thanks to Frontier Airlines starting its seasonal service to ANC there's a little sale going on that AS is matching.
Sale is good for May 10-20 only with best fares on M-W-SAT prices are AI,RT
Den-$313
Lax-393
Ord-454
lots more towns available check out WWW.Alaskatravelgram.com
I wasn't sure if this was matched or not, so thanks for posting! Farecompare was acting up earlier... and I did see an F9 ad in the Spokesman Review this evening. For at least F9 flights, the "Leap Year Sale" lasts until 3/3, not sure about other metal though. ~YMMV

Originally Posted by Canarsie

I truly enjoyed Alaska and hope to return yet again some day. My third time to Alaska does not count, as that was simply a stop on my way from Atlanta to San Francisco...
This sounds like one crazy flight... dang! Thanks for developing the formula and concept for The Lounges™!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Looking forward to my flight from LAX/ YVR this weekend. Do you think I'll need a car with a GPS to find my way to the ferry which takes me to Victoria? Flt is expected to land at 11:30AM. Think we'll make the 2:00PM Ferry? Thanks for the help.
I don't think you need the GPS. It's pretty well marked with signage, I think, but the basics are:

Directions to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal from YVR:
Follow Highway 99 South to Highway 17.
Turn West on Highway 17 and follow it to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal.

I think you have a pretty good chance of making the 2 pm sailing, but hard to predict how many cars will be in line ahead of you.

Also, I don't think there is a 2pm sailing on Saturday, only on Friday and Sunday.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by scoow
*Peeking into the AS Lounge*
Hi. Looks like you've got a very nice place here.

Just dropping off a Lounge warming gift. I thought it would look nice in your lobby next to Canarsie's bust.

I hope you enjoy your AS Lounge!
Thank you for the lovely gift. What a wonderful idea!!!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Welcome Alaskans to the wonderful world of FT lounges!

I'm posting from a lounge at ATL; I was concerned coming to the airport today; it was snowing in Atlanta. Really coming down, maybe 15 snowflakes per square mile per minute. This being ATL, I was concerned they'd shut down the airport.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Feb 27, 2008 at 4:13 pm Reason: formatting
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:51 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Abby
I don't think you need the GPS. It's pretty well marked with signage, I think, but the basics are:

Directions to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal from YVR:
Follow Highway 99 South to Highway 17.
Turn West on Highway 17 and follow it to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal.

I think you have a pretty good chance of making the 2 pm sailing, but hard to predict how many cars will be in line ahead of you.

Also, I don't think there is a 2pm sailing on Saturday, only on Friday and Sunday.
Thanks Abby. We're flying up on Friday.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by akdude
Thanks to Frontier Airlines starting its seasonal service to ANC there's a little sale going on that AS is matching.
Sale is good for May 10-20 only with best fares on M-W-SAT prices are AI,RT
Den-$313
Lax-393
Ord-454
lots more towns available check out WWW.Alaskatravelgram.com
Hmm...they published this fare, I grabbed it, then they pulled it, and now it's back. Interesting. I didn't see the LAX option earlier, though. Too bad it's not one week earlier, or my family in CA might actually afford to come up for my graduation. (Most're coming anyway; it's just they're sacrificing to come on $600+ airfares...)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Can't get away from Cholula in this lounge either

Before the Alaska Airlines Lounge is officially launched today, I'd like to give special thanks to Canarsie who is a valued member of FlyerTalk. And whose bust you'll see displayed right inside the entrance door to our Lounge.

My eyes
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If I had not met myefre in person several times, I might have actually taken offense.
Originally Posted by beckoa
This sounds like one crazy flight... dang!
You think that is crazy?

Try going from Atlanta to Phoenix round-trip via Honolulu and Washington, D.C. three times each during that same round-trip, like I did last November...

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 27, 2008 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wild Alaska Cod

Product of China
I e-mailed a friend who is a gov't fish inspector, here's his reply:
"County of origin labeling or COOL as it's called is coming into effect for fish and by years end for food and vegetables. The "commercial" name should be compared with it's origin. Think of the promotion as in Italian sausage (made in Muncie)."
So, it's Alaskan style cod from China. Sort of like Chianti from California or Canadian Bacon from Wisconsin. Still, IMHO it's a deliberately misleading label.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
....they may give you a funny map that will go the wrong way, however.
I only get the wrong way map when I'm going south.... it helps to turn the map upside down but then I confuse my right and left,,,
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I e-mailed a friend who is a gov't fish inspector, here's his reply:
"County of origin labeling or COOL as it's called is coming into effect for fish and by years end for food and vegetables. The "commercial" name should be compared with it's origin. Think of the promotion as in Italian sausage (made in Muncie)."
So, it's Alaskan style cod from China. Sort of like Chianti from California or Canadian Bacon from Wisconsin. Still, IMHO it's a deliberately misleading label.
Very interesting! Thanks for the heads-up on the changes.

I always thought Brussels Sprouts were from Belgium.

Betcha they're actually from Mexico or Chile.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I always thought Brussels Sprouts were from Belgium.

A bigger shock: Hebrew National Hotdogs are not available in the Hebrew nation.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Can I use the Alaska Airlines Lounge while waiting for my Juno-Tel Aviv flight if I am flying Economy?
Yes, there is a nice theater in the back corner of the lounge, where you can watch Juno. However, you may actually be asking, in an inarticulate way, whether AS has IFE in Y, so you can watch your favorite cartoons.

I think TUS (Scotsdale) is the closest they fly to Tel Aviv.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
...whether AS has IFE in Y, so you can watch your favorite cartoons.
Fortunately, AS Lounge Thread access comes with a free lifetime supply of DigEplayers, so when one runs out of battery, you can just fire another one up. (Unfortunately, the content will run out long before you run out of DigEplayers...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.