Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Question about Alaska flight number 123 from Seattle to Fairbanks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

I've been looking to fly SMF-FAI on Wed 7/2/08, and I noticed that I'm not given the option to connect in SEA on AS 123, the 12:55 pm departure to FAI. I can book this option, say, on Thursday 7/3/08, but not on any Wednesday, i.e. 7/2/08, 7/9/08, etc. When I try to book SEA-FAI alone, only Y and F fares are available on AS 123 on Wednesdays only--on Thursdays all fare classes are available. Any idea why this might be the case?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AS, UA, CO, AA
That's because AS123 SEA-FAI on July 2 is already booked quite full in the main cabin and about 3/4 full in First. The lower main cabin fare buckets have already sold out. If you go on alaskaair.com and search for just SEA-FAI on that date and then pull up the seat map, it'll give you an idea of the flight's approximate load. If you look at the seat map for the next day, the extra availability is quite apparent - hence the difference in fares.

It's possible that additional space may (or may not) open up in the future, as the cruise lines typically pre-reserve a lot of space into and out of FAI in the summer months. There really is no way to predict this, however, so it'd be "at your own risk" to wait. It could end up selling out, too!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by AS FF Guru
That's because AS123 SEA-FAI on July 2 is already booked quite full in the main cabin and about 3/4 full in First. The lower main cabin fare buckets have already sold out. If you go on alaskaair.com and search for just SEA-FAI on that date and then pull up the seat map, it'll give you an idea of the flight's approximate load. If you look at the seat map for the next day, the extra availability is quite apparent - hence the difference in fares.

It's possible that additional space may (or may not) open up in the future, as the cruise lines typically pre-reserve a lot of space into and out of FAI in the summer months. There really is no way to predict this, however, so it'd be "at your own risk" to wait. It could end up selling out, too!
Thanks--I figured that was the case; I'm just wondering what's so special about Wednesdays.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by card1953
Thanks--I figured that was the case; I'm just wondering what's so special about Wednesdays.
Summertime cruise ships and their related tours literally dump thousands of people "into the mix" on certain days in ANC and FAI. You must've found one of those days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.