Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-80s gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
MD-80s gone?

Was perusing the My Trips section of alaskaair.com and saw a message that my ticket to SEA DO (yay!) required confirmation of some changes. I called, and the agent said they were minor changes--flight numbers changed and departures/arrivals changed by under five minutes.

On a lark, I asked if there was an equipment change (since the flight times were modified), and she said yes--they changed from MD-80s both ways to a 73H down and 734 back.

The last thread I read around here said that AS was looking at accelerating the retirement of the -80s but nothing conclusive had been posted. Any further info on the situation?

(Unfortunately, now, though, it looks like there's no U inventory on the return flight...and the next flight out, a half an hour later, now has U inventory, since it was changed from the 734 Combi to a 73G. I should have had the presence of mind to take action before I OK'd the schedule change, but it's too late for that now. I know a lot can change in the next 7.5 months, but in the event of a schedule change, what options are there for changing flights--i.e. what could I have done to move myself to the one with U inventory available? How about meshing day-of-departure $25 confirmed schedule changes with securing an MVP upgrade?)

(Just remembered: we may have options, since the Other Person on my PNR is Gold and therefore change fees are waived... But if it were just me as a lowly MVP traveling alone, what could I have done/what could I still do?)
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
The MD-80's are still around. The last one will be out of the fleet by Dec. They are retiring at least one frame a month throughout the year with the exception of the summer months.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
MD-80s are still on the SEA-LAS run. Usually the last plane out of SEA is an MD-80, and it overnights there to be the first plane out of LAS.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:51 am

Those ever so lovely planes still come to the bay area. Usually with a mechanical problem. Oh how I won't miss them.

But I do admit, they are beautiful looking planes. Much nicer to LOOK at then the 737's. I will miss seeing them. (yes, SEEING them...not dealing with them)
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:26 am

Yeah, the Mad Dogs are rustbuckets, but I'll miss their 3-2 seating in Y. I really, really hate middle seats.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Jackal---if you are booked for SEA-ANC, then AS probably decided to pull any remaining MD-80s from that route. Currently, AS doesn't schedule any MD-80 flights to or within Alaska. They basically fly them from SEA and PDX to California/LAS/PHX. According to wikipedia there are only 12 in the fleet, which would mean they have been retiring them at a pretty healthy rate.

Last edited by EIPremier; Jan 31, 2008 at 5:39 pm
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
They are still on the SEA-SAN run as well. That is what I was on the other day anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I just booked an AS SEA-RNO flight on an MD-80. Much better in my mind than going on QX.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by terrier
Yeah, the Mad Dogs are rustbuckets, but I'll miss their 3-2 seating in Y. I really, really hate middle seats.
..and the galley randomly in the middle of one of the rows...and the little club in the back next to the engines, where they hand out earplugs...and the cute little tail cone exit...

I got excited when one of these wasnt at the gate. see you later MD80. I guess i can always fly American to see you again.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by maokh
..and the galley randomly in the middle of one of the rows...and the little club in the back next to the engines, where they hand out earplugs...and the cute little tail cone exit...

I got excited when one of these wasnt at the gate. see you later MD80. I guess i can always fly American to see you again.
Yes, get your fill on AA - fly cross-country on a Super80. Fun fun!
I miss the 727 - that was a great plane. Loud engines, long take-offs, and the tail entry/exit as well. I miss all the old 3-engine aircraft.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Now I'm kinda excited to be flying on an MD-80... as I've not been on one in years... and recently booked into OAK over Prez' day's weekend with a friend to check out SFO, and further justify my MR'ing with comping UG's to companions... PDX-OAK and OAK-SEA both are on it, and if the UG clears- I'll be quite happy, as I've never been in F on this aircraft...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by sigueugis
I miss all the old 3-engine aircraft.
I agree. Three-holers are beautiful. I like seeing all the FedEx MD-11's come and go in ANC as I'm outside working...

As far as AS and MD-80's go, due to spare parts and crew issues, AS is making a concerted effort to keep them out of the state of Alaska. If you see one in ANC, don't panic, but know that it's the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sigueugis
Yes, get your fill on AA - fly cross-country on a Super80. Fun fun!
I miss the 727 - that was a great plane. Loud engines, long take-offs, and the tail entry/exit as well. I miss all the old 3-engine aircraft.
... and one of the fastest commercial aircraft ever to fly.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Online, rumors abound concerning flying the 727 right up the edge of the speed of sound. If you have a couple of minutes to kill here's a couple threads:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3790161

http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive.../t-305443.html

I believe Boeing's official top speed is .92 ... definitely faster than anything other than the Concorde.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eastwest
Online, rumors abound concerning flying the 727 right up the edge of the speed of sound. If you have a couple of minutes to kill here's a couple threads:
I was once on a UA flight where the pilot told me he had to slow it down because of this - I guess the winds made it such that we were quite close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.