Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The DigEplayer Dirge: Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA...I've Got You, Babe...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The DigEplayer Dirge: Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA...I've Got You, Babe...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Lightbulb The DigEplayer Dirge: Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA, Da DAAA...I've Got You, Babe...

Why does Alaska Airlines insist on using the DigEplayer to make every day I fly Groundhog Day? The damn thing hsn't been changed in close to two months, during with time I've flown close to 20,000 miles with the accursed thing. I've seen everything multiple times, including some of its lesser-watched fare: if I sit through The Banzi Pipeline one more time, my brain will implode.

What is so bloody hard about rotating DigEplayer content more than once every two bloody months? Failing that, why not load DigEplayer machines with alternating content, e.g., a version 'a' and a version 'b'? Failing that, why not install power points so we need not suffer through Garfield Gets Real?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
C'mon, you know you keep replaying the theme to Hawaii Five-0 (as I did a few times yesterday). I kept picking through each menu time and time again, snippets of most songs, and the "current" movie selections really suck.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
C'mon, you know you keep replaying the theme to Hawaii Five-0 (as I did a few times yesterday).
Busted. As an aside, on yesterday's BOS-SEA flight, the two month-old episode of Family Guy I'd been memorizing the dialogue to had not been loaded. Instead, I was treated to a four month-old episode of Geek Chic.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP (1K), Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
You are not alone! Last summer, I attended a focus group for MVPG. Overwhelmingly, the group begged for more frequent movie changes. When DigE Players first came out, films and features changed monthly. Now, it's more like quartely, with some films returning way too often. I mean, is "Ice Age" so great that we need to have it on the list nearly non-stop?

At any rate, I've pretty much given up on them. I bring my iPod and a nice, thick book. Those, I can change as often as I like.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
One MacBook and two batteries for me.

As a side note, I can sympathize with the OP...

Last edited by eastwest; Jan 28, 2008 at 2:14 pm Reason: ubb typo
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Although I may not fly as frequently as some others around here, I usually catch the same content at least three times/year. The worst in my opinion is no change between Nov and Dec - so if you travel for both turkey day and xmas you are treated to the same entertainment.

May not be a big deal on flights 3 hrs or less (time for only 1 movie), but when you're flying ORD-ANC you can get in at least 2.5 movies and I've fit three short ones in a couple of times. That's when the content REALLY starts to get old.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AS, UA, CO, AA
Originally Posted by BillScann
...if I sit through The Banzi Pipeline one more time, my brain will implode.
Book 'em, Dano. Saw that episode for the second time this past weekend. I think I saw it the first go-around in October! Gotta love that theme song, though.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by meej
Although I may not fly as frequently as some others around here, I usually catch the same content at least three times/year. The worst in my opinion is no change between Nov and Dec - so if you travel for both turkey day and xmas you are treated to the same entertainment.

May not be a big deal on flights 3 hrs or less (time for only 1 movie), but when you're flying ORD-ANC you can get in at least 2.5 movies and I've fit three short ones in a couple of times. That's when the content REALLY starts to get old.
Same for me, as I had a MR GEG-PDX-BOS & back, thxsgvng in ORD, and xmas in LIH... (AS segs all UG'd too...)

I do carry a laptop with extra battery, but it is nice to watch content I haven't seen before, and to not use my machine as much.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 28, 2008 at 4:13 pm Reason: Added laptop info
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I travel with a minimum of one print and one audiobook available per flight. Last time I flew First, those who chose DigE's encountered several dead batteries, including my seat opponent whose first and second ones were duds.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS FF Guru
Book 'em, Dano. Saw that episode for the second time this past weekend. I think I saw it the first go-around in October! Gotta love that theme song, though.
If anyone is flying ANC-ORD this evening and sees cerebrospinal fluid dripping out of my ears, please stop me from lip syncing to Dive Ollie Dive.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Talking Doing it for science?

I, too, was delighted when the Five-0 was added -- what does it say that the best programming on the digEPlayer is the theme song? If you see some guy bouncing around his seat in a decidedly arhythmic way, it could be someone needing the lav...or it's me, and I'm listening to it again.

But I thought they kept it in the rotation to renew Americans' interest in the sciences. After all, there's gotta be some unknown property of physics that allows Jack Lord to whip his head around that quickly and not disturb a single hair...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by amunter
But I thought they kept it in the rotation to renew Americans' interest in the sciences. After all, there's gotta be some unknown property of physics that allows Jack Lord to whip his head around that quickly and not disturb a single hair...
Especially atop the Ilikai Hotel

Now, I never remember those credit card "authorization" machines that were used to buy all the equipment. All I remember is the little booklets, and calling cards in if they were over a store floor limit.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I travel with a minimum of one print and one audiobook available per flight. Last time I flew First, those who chose DigE's encountered several dead batteries, including my seat opponent whose first and second ones were duds.
Do they still stock spare batteries on the flights? On the flight I took, they just handed me a new one when the battery was dead, but I could see this being a problem if lots of people want the digeplayers.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Do they still stock spare batteries on the flights? On the flight I took, they just handed me a new one when the battery was dead, but I could see this being a problem if lots of people want the digeplayers.
I've had them die on me mid-flight as well, and as they do stock spares, they are not always charged, as I've had more than one dead one given to me as a replacement...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Jeez, maybe AS should wire up their planes with on-board power just to power their own IFE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.