Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America moving into AS territory

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Virgin America moving into AS territory

Just wondering what other FTers think about the announcement that Virgin America will start 3x daily flights between SFO and SEA, and 4x daily LAX and SEA flights in March and April. I feel as if this will be the first real test against AS.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I agree. I'd be all over Virgin America. 55 inch pitch in First? Personal entertainment throughout? Assuming miles are easily used on Virgin Atlantic, and assuming their network expands quickly to include other SEA>XXX NonStops, AS product isn't good enough to keep me loyal.

AS needs to start upgrading services and equipment. Frankly, they probably should have a big international carrier take a stake in them (ala LH in JB).

The king is dead. Long live the king.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Er... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687298
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, Gardyloo. Didn't do much research on previous threads...did I! :-)
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Virgin Atlantic & Virgin America aren't allowed to cooperate. US Legacies kick up too much of a fuss. Still, there's always Virgin Blue & the new transpacific V Australia to cooperate with, & i think this is far more relevant given that all the activity will be on the West Coast.

Hopefully Alaskan will improve there product. I don't reckon fares will be hit that much, but who knows what we may see. PTVs in economy with AVOD...Self service buffets...Free meals...
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Alaskan?

Never heard of them.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
Alaskan?

Never heard of them.
You know Alaskan...just like Hawaiian!
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
The Virgin flights between San Francisco and San Diego are probably going to be seeing some of me next year now that Alaska isn't flying the route.

I'm just barely going to make MVP this year, so I may end up giving up on AS and putting all my AS miles on AA. Granted, I'm a relatively low-rev customer for AS, since most of my mileage was on partners, and they would still see most of the rev they get anyway if I credit to AA.

Virgin has been dragging its feet on posting details of its mileage program, so it's impossible to know if there will be much attractive about it. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if it set up a reasonable partnerships with Virgin, Virgin Blue, etc, that would necessarily violate prohibitions of foreign control of U.S. domestic airlines. I just wish we knew.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdquick
The Virgin flights between San Francisco and San Diego are probably going to be seeing some of me next year now that Alaska isn't flying the route.

I'm just barely going to make MVP this year, so I may end up giving up on AS and putting all my AS miles on AA. Granted, I'm a relatively low-rev customer for AS, since most of my mileage was on partners, and they would still see most of the rev they get anyway if I credit to AA.

Virgin has been dragging its feet on posting details of its mileage program, so it's impossible to know if there will be much attractive about it. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if it set up a reasonable partnerships with Virgin, Virgin Blue, etc, that would necessarily violate prohibitions of foreign control of U.S. domestic airlines. I just wish we knew.
The VX website says that space travel will eventually be possible using VX points, which is a clear hint that tie ups with other Virgin entities are in the works. As a Bay Area flyer who hates UA, I will be all over VX if they actually manage to create a good FF program. If they come out with something like Jet Blue's program, however, I'll stick with a CO/AS combo.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:47 pm

VX have already announced their intentions regarding their loyalty program. It's not a frequent-flyer program at all - points are accrued per dollar spent, not per mile flown.

Totally uninteresting to the savvy flyertalker, since there's no way to improve the cost per point earned.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by terrier
VX have already announced their intentions regarding their loyalty program. It's not a frequent-flyer program at all - points are accrued per dollar spent, not per mile flown.

Totally uninteresting to the savvy flyertalker, since there's no way to improve the cost per point earned.
Shouldn't this be how all programs are designed? Yes I know they are not but really to keep the value of earning these points rather than de-valuing them as they currently are?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by flyboy777
Virgin Atlantic & Virgin America aren't allowed to cooperate. US Legacies kick up too much of a fuss.
If AS can cooperate with BA, i don't know why VX can't cooperate with VS.

AS has all but ceded its quality / service differentiator in the west coast corridor. It'll be interesting to see if the VX foray encourages AS to try and regain it, or pushes them further toward cattle-car territory.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; BA Silver
Originally Posted by JHIN
Shouldn't this be how all programs are designed? Yes I know they are not but really to keep the value of earning these points rather than de-valuing them as they currently are?
Have opened up that discussion outside this thread/Forum to see what others think of the trend to $ based rewards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772968
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
VX is not invading AS

VX is not really invading AS territory as much as they are strengthing their SFO and LAX bases. SFO is competing against UA and AS, a possible preemptive strike at WN opening SEA-SFO. UA is two of their four LAX flights to CR7's and this may be a strike to take DL (XE) out of the market and steal some revenue from WN onestops. If VX really wanted to annoy AS and carve a SEA niche they would open up ANC a few times a day akin to Reno Air. In addition they would open up SAN, and JFK (or IAD). I posted a possible schedule in the "Other North and South American Forum" in the "Virgin America to expand?" thread. I posted at post 104 and 105. See link at post 18

Note: I am not a VX representitive but I would like for any airline to succed and grow in as many routes as possible from SEA. I just live in SEA and want more choices from my home airport.

Last edited by prismwiz; Dec 30, 2007 at 4:26 pm Reason: corrections
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might fly VX once, to see what it is all about. Otherwise AS and OneWorld have no competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.