Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty Seats in F?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wonder if U space ever showed up to allow for paid upgrades....on a 5+ hour transcon flight, I would think they could find to people in Y willing to upgrade....never heard any announcement at the gate.
I have been on a flight where two F passengers were seated and then got into a huge argument. Both got up and left the plane before the door closed.... No upgrades were processed for the empty seats.

James
Old May 27, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have been on a flight where two F passengers were seated and then got into a huge argument. Both got up and left the plane before the door closed.... No upgrades were processed for the empty seats.

James
I had a similar story on a SEA-LAS flight where I was first to be upgraded and some guy in FC stormed off the plane because someone had a cat in the cabin and he claimed he was deathly allergic. I’m allergic too but I brought my Allegra so I ended up getting the seat.
safari ari likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
KOA-SAN with Empty Seats in F

I fly between SAN-KOA several times per year, SAN-OGG, HNL less frequently. Historically, I would use GGUs, mileage or paid F upgrades to guarantee a seat up front for the afternoon / evening return. I would occasionally be annoyed when the local staff would fill F (and Y+) with friends/family, particularly when they do not understand the etiquette (was once bullied to change my seat). Wife and I recently made the trip, received upgrades T-36 on saver awards, we came home separately, upgraded with either mileage of GGUs. On all three flights, there were empty seats in F (I did not check Y+), despite being a full load in the back, no apparent efforts by the gate staff to fill them (offering paid upgrades, etc). Difficult to say if this is due to the fact that AS increased service from 3x weekly to daily for the summer, on a leisure-heavy route. I am flying HNL-SAN at the end of the month, on a Saturday, half of the 16 F seats are currently open, I am debating if it will be worth burning my last GGU, or wait for the last-minute free upgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by diver858
received upgrades T-36 on saver awards
I assume you mean main cabin awards?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
W=saver award or used to

I'd be tempted to burn a gguc on this to secure my preferred seat (2A). But that's me
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Main cabin saver award, upgraded to first. As a long-time AA refugee, I am still getting used to the concept of award reservation elite upgrades.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
@diver858, its a tough call. I do the PDX-HNL run a fair bit. For any AS flight over 5 hours, I tend to want to use the GGU and secure my preferred seat, like @beckoa. That said, if you are seeing U space open two weeks out (and assuming the upgrader is working) that means no one is currently on an instant upgradeable fare. So then its just the guess of how many non-instant elites are ahead of you (plus any last minute elite bookings, though on leisure routes I worry less about this.) Sometimes I will try to look at the PC seats/exit rows to guess at elite bookings. But thats crude math. I have to admit I tend to use the GGU when they are possible and on longer hauls just because U space is so fickle at times, I want to take it when I can get it.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
Main cabin saver award, upgraded to first. As a long-time AA refugee, I am still getting used to the concept of award reservation elite upgrades.
AA EXPs (and CKs) have been able to upgrade award tickets for a couple of years now. It's really an excellent benefit.

Sometimes, when a flight in Y is pricing at something like $700-800, F at >$1000, and a MileSAAver award is available for 12,500 miles or 8,750 with reduced mileage awards (equivalent of 'W' class on AS)... and you subsequently get a comp EXP upgrade out of it also, it's a pretty nice feature of the elite program.

In fact, the ability to get comp upgrades on Y award tickets is definitely one of the few remaining elite benefits left at AA or AS that I actually care about these days.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
3 empty seats in F on BWI-SAN this morning. Y was full, but they didn’t make any announcements offering paid upgrades at the gate.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:20 am

7/20 SEA-SFO went out with two (of eight) empty F seats with eight people on the upgrade list. No attempt to upgrade anyone or to sell the seats.

We departed out of a bus gate so that adds a lot of confusion.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
7/20 SEA-SFO went out with two (of eight) empty F seats with eight people on the upgrade list. No attempt to upgrade anyone or to sell the seats.

We departed out of a bus gate so that adds a lot of confusion.
beat me to it

I got the upgrade email at T-2 hrs; 1D was the only available seat ... the GA did a double-take as he came through the F cabin and saw me in 2A; we had a bit of a laugh as I explained (pointing to 1D) that I hadn’t actually self-upgraded

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 21, 2019 at 11:23 am Reason: left out the key part of the story
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

beat me to it

I got the upgrade email at T-2 hrs; 1D was the only available seat ... the GA did a double-take as he came through the F cabin and we had a bit of a laugh as I explained (pointing to 1D) that I hadn’t actually self-upgraded
I was behind you in 2F until you moved to the window. Too bad they didn’t upgrade two people to replace the two no shows.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
7/20, SFO-SEA had 1 empty seat (of 16), 4pm. No one on waitlist. Very quiet at SFO, but SEA was much busier.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by akdancer
7/20, SFO-SEA had 1 empty seat (of 16), 4pm. No one on waitlist. Very quiet at SFO, but SEA was much busier.
lol, I was on that jet also (1F)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by jrl767

lol, I was on that jet also (1F)
Wish I'd have known. A post-flight "hi" from 3D. Should FT'ers wear a distinguishing beanie or something?
GlobalMatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.