Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any snacks left on AS when not in F?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
Cool Any snacks left on AS when not in F?

Flying 532 SEA-SFO on a standby, I was unable to get the comp upgrade. I was put in 13F, so I had plenty of space and was content, although, surprised when the FA only provided drinks, and no pretzels/etc. Not that I needed them, but, having flown AA several times lately, and noticing that they only provide drinks, I wondered if this was a new AS policy. I will admit, the FA knew I was a Gold and brought me complimentary wine, but the snack thing perplexed me.

Last edited by jmayo; Aug 20, 2007 at 12:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
MVP Gold as well. Generally I get peanuts/snack mix in coach and the FAs ARE very good about the comp drink.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by whjensen
MVP Gold as well. Generally I get peanuts/snack mix in coach and the FAs ARE very good about the comp drink.
MVPG also. I've had pretzels & the Tim's chips they serve in the Boardroom on my recent flights. Comp drinks has been spotty at best. Not free on most of my flights.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:16 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
hmmm... I've had FA's thank me for being Gold but I've never had comped drinks when in the back.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
MVPG, but Comp drinks are hit and miss for me, however, I usually got pretzels or peanuts when I was in the back.

BW
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Yep, there are still snacks in Y.

As 230 sfo-san and AS 351 sfo-sea early am got a package of Cougar Mountain bananas and oats breakfast cookies. Tasty but small...I usually ask for a couple more when in F.
san-sea (5:15 pm) had warmed ginger cookies in Y.
sfo-san (6:31 pm) tonight had AS 75th anniversary spinzels in F and Y. Incidentally, the guy who was serving F was very convivial and did a great job. Wish I caught his name, but he didn't have a nametag on.

Last edited by EIPremier; Aug 21, 2007 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:41 am
MGL

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Comp drinks when sitting in Y...who would have known? Not I as I haven't had that experience.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's happened to me once. I'm more likely to get free drinks in coach when the plane's delayed, but that's true for everyone. (I usually get Red Bull and vodka on the SEA-LAS runs I do on Friday nights...)
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Bonvoy Silver; OneWorld Sapphire; Miss Traveling for Work
I mostly fly SEA-SFO and catch the SFO-SEA in the evening...which is delayed 9 out of 10 times it seems.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by whjensen
They are supposed to be. When I asked about a coupon thing ala the 1K coupons on UA, AS clearly did not want to get into another kind of "currency" and rather, take the comp drink approach. I have seen the pre-flight manifest review by the FAs to be able to clearly identify the MVPGs in the Y cabin. My sense from the last luncheon is that the company wants to know if we are NOT getting a comp drink as MVPG. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a comp drink as an MVPG in the Y cabin because I haven't been in the Y cabin in a few years
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:53 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum Lifetime, UA- MM, AS- MVPG75
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They are supposed to be. When I asked about a coupon thing ala the 1K coupons on UA, AS clearly did not want to get into another kind of "currency" and rather, take the comp drink approach. I have seen the pre-flight manifest review by the FAs to be able to clearly identify the MVPGs in the Y cabin. My sense from the last luncheon is that the company wants to know if we are NOT getting a comp drink as MVPG. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a comp drink as an MVPG in the Y cabin because I haven't been in the Y cabin in a few years
Very interesting. Other than one FA who I have gotten to know very well on the SEA-DCA run (which I do about monthly) no FA has ever offered me a comped adult beverage in coach. Of course they are very good with the free water Of course getting scotch from that FA is a very nice treat. Just haven't had the fortune to fly at the same time since early last month.

Since this doesn't happen for me I was thinking about AS making this a benefit along with free DV player for "platinum" if/when they roll that out.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:54 pm

Lightbulb Apparent reasons

As an ASA FA, I can only guess the original author on this thread was on a plane that was catered for several flights (cost saving) and that the final flight did not get all of the snacks they needed. When that happens to me, knowing we have so many freq. passengers, I try to apologize. Some FA's, though, prefer not to say anything. Regardless, if you don't get a snack it's usually just a catering error--not the airline's choice.

Concerning the MVPG comps--we try very hard to comp in the back. BUT, we often don't get our "Final" (manifest) so we simply can't know where the Golds are. As well, because it is a new system, FA's aren't yet in the habit of remembering to get that list from the Final. Given all of that, demanding freebies, based on your assumption we KNOW your status, isn't usually welcomed. A nice, "Hey...are ya willing to...blah blah <insert FRIENDLY mention of status>" will, more likely, encourage an "on-the-house" offer (perhaps even bring back a glass of FC wine).

Many of us truly appreciate and love to spoil our MVPG's. Even though I learned several years ago the true value of that status to ASA, it's more the fact that 99% of the MVPG's treat US like gold that motivates me to return the respect and kindness. Thank you to the [large] majority
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:47 pm

I think I must look like I fly more than I do (just a lowly MVP here) since I get waved off when trying to pay for my minis in Y about 30% of the time. Never had anyone ask my status or check a manifest before doing so, either.

Not complaining, mind.

(Props to AS for continuing to stock the Glenlivet...)
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by terrier
I think I must look like I fly more than I do (just a lowly MVP here) since I get waved off when trying to pay for my minis in Y about 30% of the time. Never had anyone ask my status or check a manifest before doing so, either.

Not complaining, mind.

(Props to AS for continuing to stock the Glenlivet...)
This usually happens on flights with problems causing pax issues IMHO. Delays, mechanicals, etc. seem to lead to more comps than on the occasional on time flight. Last time I had free drinks in back was a flight that turned back & we were put on another flight that was also seriously delayed. Status had nothing to do with the free drinks. Poor performance was the reason for it.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I found the trick to getting my free drink as an MVPG concistently- hand them the $5 with my MVPG card. I get both of them back, along with the drink (I had the Johnnie Love pineapple vodka + pineapple juice- pretty tasty).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.