Wiki Posts
Search

SEA baggage handling

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
SEA baggage handling

According to the rumor mill, SEA baggage handling will be changing on Oct. 1. It is great news if it is true. This has been a mess since AS fired the union rampers acouple of years ago.

Here is what I've heard...

Beginning October 1st, Delta will officially begin to handle the routing and sorting and handling of AS baggage in SEA. Menzies will be responsible fro the ramp only. Delta is already working on handling baggage in SEA right now as a "transition phase."

AS knows the system in SEA isn't working, but they don't want to pay what it would take to hire back AS rampers and run things the way they used to.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Would it make sense for DL, which only has a relatively small presence at SEA, to take on AS/QX's baggage handling as well?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Would it make sense for DL, which only has a relatively small presence at SEA, to take on AS/QX's baggage handling as well?
It would under several circumstances including:

1. They have hired some of the laid off AS rampers who already know the system

2. DL needs to keep their crews busy, so they add AS to their duties

3. AS is finally fessing up to a huge mistake
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:48 pm
Suspended

It will actually be DAL Global Services (DGS), which is DL's in-house service agency. Their pay, benefits and reputation aren't a whole lot better than Menzies, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

DL/DGS is already pretty busy in Seattle with Sun Country, Hawaiian (below the wing) and China Airlines.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:55 pm

How hard can it be to sort baggage?

Look at bag, send to right place.

Come on.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxf24
It will actually be DAL Global Services (DGS), which is DL's in-house service agency. Their pay, benefits and reputation aren't a whole lot better than Menzies, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

DL/DGS is already pretty busy in Seattle with Sun Country, Hawaiian (below the wing) and China Airlines.
Delta has an whole division that just provides ground support around the country. It's called DGS (Delta Global Services.) For example, in ANC DGS ground handles DL flights, is responsible for the fleet service (cleaning) of AS flights, and groundhandles other airlines at ANC as well. I'm pretty sure they ground handle CO flights in ANC.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Just to clarify, QX still has our own ground/baggage agents in SEA. Any "newcomer" will only be handling AS bags.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
How hard can it be to sort baggage?

Look at bag, send to right place.

Come on.
I know a few people here in Phoenix who work/ed the ramp for HP/US. It is not an easy job. Extreme temperatures, exposure to heavy hazardous equipment, and heavy lifting just to mention a few. These are hard working people and your attitude is an insult to all of them. I challenge you to take a job as a ramp services agent/baggage handler for one week. You'll have a better appreciation of just what these men and women do.

Last edited by COpltASgldPHX; Aug 15, 2007 at 10:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
I know a few people here in Phoenix who work/ed the ramp for HP/US. It is not an easy job. Extreme temperatures, exposure to heavy hazardous equipment, and heavy lifting just to mention a few. These are hard working people and your attitude is an insult to all of them. I challenge you to take a job as a ramp services agent/baggage handler for one week. You'll have a better appreciation of just what these men and women do.
Well, it's probably easier than picking grapes or peaches, and people who don't like Phoenix weather need to move.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Well, it's probably easier than picking grapes or peaches, and people who don't like Phoenix weather need to move.
In a perfect world, it doesn't sound like a hard job. Add in standby passengers, 30 minute connections, late flights, and understaffing...makes the job a little harder than putting some grapes in a bucket.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I can confirm that what Bob W heard is true. See this link: http://www.alaskasworld.com/newsroom...806_080801.asp

As far as the discussion about ramping? <odd smile> It's the hardest work for the least amount of money I have ever done in my entire life. Why do I keep at it? Some days I'm not sure. It's not a career path for me, but I love travel and airplanes and people and I get exposure to those things on a daily basis...so for now I'm sticking around.

FWIW: Here's some rough math about an average shift for me:

On a flight, I will work at least "one belly." If an average flight has 200 checked bags, I will handle or stack about half of those bags. The FAA counts bags at an average weight of 30 lbs. This doesn't include bags over 50 lbs (which are considered "heavy" and fall into a different category) or cargo or aircraft parts etc.

So on an upload or download I personally will handle 3000 lbs. Sometimes I just have to move that weight between the belt and the cart. Othertimes, I have to stack it three feet high while kneeling the entire time.

On an average ten hour shift, I will work 10 to 12 segments. (Either an "upload" or a "download.") So conservatively estimating...I move over thirty thousand pounds every day with my back, knees, and arms.

Youre right, reading bag tags isnt particularly difficult. LAS and LAX look similar, but there isn't an excuse for mixing them up. But please don't say that ramping is easy. I promise, it's not.

Your FT friend,
-eastwest

Last edited by eastwest; Aug 16, 2007 at 1:46 am Reason: typo...not content
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks, eastwest. As a customer who checks baggage part of the time I appreciate your conscientious approach to your job. It sounds like a lot of hard work.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

So, what we're saying is a low-paying subsidiary of Delta Airlines is going to be handling AS's bags. OK, I've known people who worked for DGS and, AFAIK, it wasn't infested with gang members.

Thank goodness that AS didn't sign a LONG term contract with Menzies and has the opportunity to change. It couldn't possibly get any worse. I still wish that management and the union had actually TALKED about the cost issues and resolved them internally.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
So, what we're saying is a low-paying subsidiary of Delta Airlines is going to be handling AS's bags. OK, I've known people who worked for DGS and, AFAIK, it wasn't infested with gang members.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, outside calling Menzies a bunch of thugs.

DGS is not a new hope for a better tomorrow. While it has an acceptable performance record at many airports, it - like other ground handlers - pays lower wages than the airlines and has a higher turnover of lower experienced employees.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, outside calling Menzies a bunch of thugs.

DGS is not a new hope for a better tomorrow. While it has an acceptable performance record at many airports, it - like other ground handlers - pays lower wages than the airlines and has a higher turnover of lower experienced employees.
I didn't explicitly call Menzies a "bunch of thugs". However, you are welcome to come to your own conclusions.

I continue to be sorry that the AS union and AS management refused to truly sit down and talk about this. The best possible solution would have been to keep AS employees on the ramp in SEA.

It's one thing to employ a ground handling service where an airline only has a handful of flights per day. It's another thing at your main hub airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.