Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS deliberately double charges for overweight bags!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS deliberately double charges for overweight bags!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:44 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Quokka
Hmmn. So the question comes down to what do various airlines do when the pax changes an itinerary at the gate? Is that eventually treated internally for accounting purposes as a passenger initiated change that gets the fare "adjusted" and the PFC for the skipped airport "refunded", where the refund just happens to go to the airline??
When a passenger stands by for a flight.. the actual ticket is not changed. Since the ticket receipt is what generates the PFC and Tax dispersments.. the taxes will go to the original airports as shown on the ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by missydarlin
You bought a NW First Class ticket on the AS website?

According to NW own contract of Carriage (which btw is not layed out nearly as nicely as the AS one, so I had to dig for it), they also charge subject to the connecting airlines fees as well.
D) EXCESS/OVERSIZE/OVERWEIGHT CHARGES

BAGGAGE IN EXCESS OF THE MAXIMUM ALLOWANCE SPECIFIED
ABOVE, OR OVERWEIGHT AND/OR OVERSIZED BAGGAGE AS
DEFINED IN 2) AND 3) BELOW, WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR
GFS TEXT MENU RULE CATEGORY TEXT DISPLAY
IN EFFECT ON: 01SEP06
AREA: US TARIFF: DGR CXR: NW RULE: 0190
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXCESS/OVERSIZE/OVERWEIGHT CHARGES –74 (CONT)

TRANSPORTATION ONLY UPON PAYMENT OF APPROPRIATE
EXCESS/OVERSIZE/OVERWEIGHT CHARGE(S). THESE CHARGES
WILL APPLY FROM THE POINT AT WHICH BAGGAGE IS ACCEPTED
FOR TRANSPORTATION TO THE POINT TO WHICH BAGGAGE IS
CHECKED. BAGGAGE CONNECTING TO OTHER AIRLINES WILL
ALSO BE SUBJECT TO THE CONNECTING AIRLINE'S CHARGES, IN
ADDITION TO NW'S CHARGES.
(bolding mine)

Whether or not NW "Asks AS to charge it" is a moot point. We have now established that both Contracts of Carriage state that the fee will be collected, and NW is within every right to ask us for the their portion of the fee, and vice versa. If NW wants to not collect from their passengers, and foot the bill themselves out of the goodness of their hearts, or they choose not to collect the fee from us that the Contract of Carriage seems to imply that they want...then thats their business decision.

So perhaps you should familiarize NW with their own Contract of Carriage, and encourage them to have a discussion with their accounting people as to whether or not these fees are being collected from AS?

ummm, Missy - see my post on page one where i did the exact same bolding as you did
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:02 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by OMAguy
ummm, Missy - see my post on page one where i did the exact same bolding as you did
oops...I missed that one.... didn't meant to steal any thunder!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:55 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AS, UA, CO, AA
Originally Posted by dcarmich
I wonder how long this has been happening... how many AS pax have gotten screwed out of $25 like this and didn't push it to the truth ... how much money has AS pocketed that they were not entitled to?
AS doesn't "pocket" those fees. They're charged and entered in the system in such a way that they are remitted to the other carriers. AS only keeps it's own portion. The airport agents have access to reference information in their computer systems that detail baggage policies and fees for all carriers, regardless of partner status, for which AS/QX have baggage transfer agreements. If the other carrier has neglected to keep AS/QX apprised of their latest fees and those passengers to which they are applicable, AS/QX has no choice but to use the most current information at their disposal.

I used to work at the airport and recall charging passengers connecting at SFO/LAX to longhaul trans-Pacific flights with international carriers that mandated several hundred dollars in excess/overweight/oversize baggage fees. In cases where the passenger refused to pay the fee or wanted to take it up with the next carrier, we had to "short-check" the bag to the final AS/QX destination, where they would need to claim it at baggage claim and recheck it directly with the carrier in question.

Further, an AS/QX employee cannot waive any fees charged by another airline without a specific authorization or waiver in the record from the other carrier, as AS could be held responsible for those fees by the other carrier, regardless of whether or not they collected them. Same logic goes for a travel agent - they have no choice but to collect the change fee or additional fare when you change a ticket through them. They get charged by the airline one way or the other, so they have no choice unless they feel like losing money on the deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.