Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BTT -- Where to go in 49th State?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
BTT -- Where to go in 49th State?

Folks --

I have a BTT that I want to use up to Alaska. I'd had my heart set on Adak, but have reluctantly concluded that it requires too much time off (because of the low frequency). So I'm trying to find another destination.

In part, depends how much I can bend the rules, since I'm coming from DCA. With 1/2 not going through for now and no more redeye, there are very few destinations possible with only one connection (but I've double connected on a BTT in the past). Also depends whether they'll let me overnight in ANC and if there's any chance of a code share.

All that said, any suggestions? Could travel anytime through Feb when it expires, although I'm thinking of Labor Day for better weather. I've already done ANC, BRW, FAI, HOM, JNU, KTN, OME and SIT. Looking for somewhere interesting, scenic, a bit off the beaten track but still easy to visit.

Thinking about BET, AKN, ADQ. Would love some suggestions/experiences.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Folks --

I have a BTT that I want to use up to Alaska. I'd had my heart set on Adak, but have reluctantly concluded that it requires too much time off (because of the low frequency). So I'm trying to find another destination.

In part, depends how much I can bend the rules, since I'm coming from DCA. With 1/2 not going through for now and no more redeye, there are very few destinations possible with only one connection (but I've double connected on a BTT in the past). Also depends whether they'll let me overnight in ANC and if there's any chance of a code share.

All that said, any suggestions? Could travel anytime through Feb when it expires, although I'm thinking of Labor Day for better weather. I've already done ANC, BRW, FAI, HOM, JNU, KTN, OME and SIT. Looking for somewhere interesting, scenic, a bit off the beaten track but still easy to visit.

AKN has some possibilities: there's not much to do in town, but Katmai NP is only a 20-minute flight away and is a truly amazing place. Bears, volcanoes, salmon, great scenery. There is an excellent NPS campground there.

ADQ: A good friend used to live in Kodiak and just loved it. Great fishing, hiking and kayaking opportunities. Weather is relatively moderate although windier than Juneau.

BET: Not a tourist destination.

You might look into PSG, WRG, or GST as well. All are served by direct flights out of SEA.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
They won't let you use a code share on a BTT. Alaska or Horizon metal only.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:30 am

You can't use code shares on a BTT. You can however overnight in ANC if it's a forced stopover.

One of my favorite places to burn BTTs on is OME ("There's no place like Nome!"), however since you've already been there and want to try someplace new, I'd recommend ADQ, AKN, CDV and OTZ -- probably in that order. BET would be near the bottom of any list of places I'd suggest; about the only place BET would preferable to would be Deadhorse/Prudhoe
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:02 am

Programs: AS, IHG
On a forced layover note... if your schedule would be better with a forced layover in SEA the Double Tree comes up on Priceline for $40-ish/night almost as often as the sun rises. Definitely not a hardship to overnight in SEA, plus the fact that some of the friendliest FTers are based there as well!

-A
(who is not based in SEA)
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:46 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
OTZ, then see if you can finagle a flight up the Kobuk with an airtaxi or mail guy. Some of the villages up the river are very nice; maybe you can overfly the Kobuk Valley NP - great stuff.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks folks. I vaguely seemed to remember someone sayng they'd let you fly Penair, although search didn't find it. Also, looks like GST discontinues later this month, so that won't work.

Actually went through OTZ to OME, but wasn't allowed off.

AinA -- I've spent many a night in that Doubletree, courtesy of the Line.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
If you can't go now (as suggestd from GST being a no go), then I suggest you stick to FAI or the SE part of AK. Too bad you can't go to GST, it is one of the prettiest places that AS goes to.

A good thing the people on this board are kind or they would have highly recommended BET and you would have arrived and said "What the ..."

I recommend JNU or Ketchikan. Both will cater to tourists for additional side trips. Any of the other locations, you will run out of things to see after a day. If you just want to go to a pretty place to relax, any of the towns along the coast are fine and vey scenic.

Glenn
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Thanks folks. I vaguely seemed to remember someone sayng they'd let you fly Penair, although search didn't find it. Also, looks like GST discontinues later this month, so that won't work.
I believe you can use the BTT to DUT- which is actually operated by PenAir but is treated as a wet-lease to AS.

You could also use the BTT to JNU and take an air taxi or ferry to Gustavus, Haines, or Skagway. Or fly to KTN and go visit POW (Prince of Wales Island).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.