Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Honolulu service???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Would this be one of the reasons for pulling their SEA-IAD flight?
I'm not in RASM but I don't think the two are related. AS was flying SEA-IAD on a 737-700 and would be flying anywhere-hawaii with 737-800's...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eastwest
I'm not in RASM but I don't think the two are related. AS was flying SEA-IAD on a 737-700 and would be flying anywhere-hawaii with 737-800's...

well ANC-ORD has been 737-700 since the beginning. i noticed this summer it is going to 737-800 (which is great news because of the bigger F cabin). looks like the entire schedule is being tweaked for better utilization of aircraft. <of course when ORD-ANC began the 737-700 was the only plane that could make that trip -- it is great AS has some longer-range aircraft>
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Chugach
What might be an interesting idea is to have AS go daily on ANC-HNL, and then have NW route their flight ANC-OGG-KOA-ANC as opposed to the current triangle through Honolulu.
That would work too, and with more islands covered. You mentioned earlier the NW ANC-OGG route is seasonal. Forgive my newbie question, but when do those flights start/stop?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
The first clue to AS starting service to HNL would be ETOPS approval. I remember a thread a few months ago that implied that might be happening - however ETOPS is not just filling out paperwork you need to show some signifigant results in operations (no big engine problems etc). I wonder if the recent string of presurization issues might have a negative impact on the FAA granting ETOPS 120+ to AS. It would suck to depressuriaze in the middle of the pacific as decending to a lower flight level would dramatically increase fuel burn and perhaps have the plane end up in the drink.

I agree with the other poster that a 737 to hawaii dosen't sound fun. I just think of the plane as the baby boeing and that makes me think it shouldn't be flying over 2,500 miles of water by itself

I suspect loyal AS flyers would really enjoy being able to fly them to the HI islands. I just wonder if AS can serve that destination profitably. SEA-HNL on AS would have to be slightly more expensive then some of the connections currently offered on other airlines. UA/NW/AA has a lot of 777s/767s/757s that have plenty of cheap seats avaliable.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by AKronin
That would work too, and with more islands covered. You mentioned earlier the NW ANC-OGG route is seasonal. Forgive my newbie question, but when do those flights start/stop?
Roughly December through April is when they operate. Basically just the spring tourist season, which seems to be top for tourist travel to Hawaii. It makes good sense for NW to operate the route too, because otherwise the 753 would just sit at gate B10 in ANC for about 18 hours. Can't make any money if it's not flying. I've taken it before, and it's a great flight. It's perfectly timed for a long weekend on Maui.

They also ran the flight during the summer last year, but it doesn't appear to be on the schedule for this year. I suspect it has as much to do with NW being in bankruptcy as anything else, as they have decreased all of their Alaska flying (as has DL) somewhat substantially from the last few years.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: SWA, US AIRWAYS DIVEND MILES
The 800 model is the only one to be ETOPS equip for AS so it would be the 800 doing the routes. My money is on both ANC-HNL and SEA-HNL considering NW's load factors are high. With AS odering and taking deliverly of 800's this year, it doesnt surprise me. ANC-HNL is about 2500miles and SEA-HNL are 2000miles, both within the 800's range w/ the winglets.

If they wanted too, AS could get the 700's equipt. for ETOPS.

Just my opinion.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hunterton
The 800 model is the only one to be ETOPS equip for AS so it would be the 800 doing the routes. My money is on both ANC-HNL and SEA-HNL considering NW's load factors are high. With AS odering and taking deliverly of 800's this year, it doesnt surprise me. ANC-HNL is about 2500miles and SEA-HNL are 2000miles, both within the 800's range w/ the winglets.

If they wanted too, AS could get the 700's equipt. for ETOPS.

Just my opinion.

Actually, per the great circle mapper (http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=a...OR=&MAP-STYLE=) ANC-HNL is 2777 and SEA-HNL is 2677. Not a lot of difference, but both are a little farther than suggested. In fact, ANC-HNL is just about as far as our longest current route (ANC-ORD) which measures up at 2846 nautical miles.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
The 73G can fly 3752 miles according to the AS website and the range from ANC-HNL, and SEA-OGG/HNL is only in the 2600-2700 mile range so there is plenty of leeway. The one thing I like about the 757 than the 73G is just teh longer cabin as for me its a psycholigcal thing of more space.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't go as far as saying plenty of leeway since Westjet flies from YVR using the 800s and has to make the occasional tech stop in SFO where the head winds are brutal going to Hawaii. Maximum range is not a number that takes into account a fully loaded aircraft flying into head winds.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
The 73G can fly 3752 miles according to the AS website and the range from ANC-HNL, and SEA-OGG/HNL is only in the 2600-2700 mile range so there is plenty of leeway. The one thing I like about the 757 than the 73G is just teh longer cabin as for me its a psycholigcal thing of more space.
According to the Boeing Website the ranges of the 737-8 is ~3,000 nm and the 737-7 is about ~3,300 nm. I believe these ranges include 1 class with all optional fuel tanks, but I am not sure. I doubt the AS planes are equiped with the extra tanks and probably don't have much range beyond your typicall transcon.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:27 am

Programs: SWA, US AIRWAYS DIVEND MILES
AS uses the 738 on the SEA-MIA, MCO runs, which are pretty long. They need to get the 700 version ETOPS certified. It will benefit them in the long run. In my opinion, AS uses the 737 like it was designed to be used, short to medium long haul routes. What is needs to order are the 739ER, and 737ER versions for more range and capacity.

Hunterton
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Hunterton
AS uses the 738 on the SEA-MIA, MCO runs, which are pretty long. They need to get the 700 version ETOPS certified. It will benefit them in the long run. In my opinion, AS uses the 737 like it was designed to be used, short to medium long haul routes. What is needs to order are the 739ER, and 737ER versions for more range and capacity. Hunterton
Unfortunately, Alaska won't be certifying the 737-700's for ETOP's operations. From what I gather, they would love to have an all 737-800 fleet. The 737-700 has higher operating costs because of the fewer number of seats.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Unfortunately, Alaska won't be certifying the 737-700's for ETOP's operations. From what I gather, they would love to have an all 737-800 fleet. The 737-700 has higher operating costs because of the fewer number of seats.
That's good news for me. The new exit row configuration on the 700 isn't as comfortable as on the 800.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:47 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
On my flight from SEA to LAS last week, the FAs were talking about the upcoming "raft training" they will have to do for the 738s. When I asked the FA why they would need raft training for the desert, she replied that it was for the "new Hawaii runs" and said she did not know when they will start.

As for going overwater on a 737, I have used the all-business class BBJ (same as 737-700) route from EWR into FRA on Lufthansa-branded metal several times. It really is not that bad if you are travelling at night and able to get some sleep. During the day, on the return, can be a challenge if you like to get up and move about.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by flyingpharmd
On my flight from SEA to LAS last week, the FAs were talking about the upcoming "raft training" they will have to do for the 738s. When I asked the FA why they would need raft training for the desert, she replied that it was for the "new Hawaii runs" and said she did not know when they will start.

As for going overwater on a 737, I have used the all-business class BBJ (same as 737-700) route from EWR into FRA on Lufthansa-branded metal several times. It really is not that bad if you are travelling at night and able to get some sleep. During the day, on the return, can be a challenge if you like to get up and move about.
Are you sure it was FRA? I thought LH only operated the BBJ on the EWR-DUS and EWR-MUC routes...

I would hate for FRA-EWR to be cut from mainline, I have taken that flight several times and find it quite convenient to visit friends in Jersey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.