Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Award travel to Italy?

Starting to research a trip to Italy for next April/May. Just wondering about how others have done this in the past. Which partner airline did you go with? Looks like going BA means switching from LHR to LGW for service into VCE and hoping to have an open jaw and fly out of FCO (Rome), which looks to have direct service to LHR. What about CO, NWA or AA? Thanks for any input.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
NW has seasonal service to FCO - I think May to October.

Rather than deal with a LHR/LGW transfer, you may want to just look into flying to and from Rome. The train to Venice is fast and cheap. Equivalent to if not less than dealing with the london transfer, and likely more fun and scenic.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:06 pm

Delta has nonstop flights from JFK into VCE and FCO. I doubt NW will be much of a help with the exit of KLM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Air, UAL Premiere, Hyatt Gold Passport
I have used my Alaska Miles for a trip to Italy in the last couple of years. I used American Airlines. PDX-ORD-FCO-ORD-PDX. The FCO service is seasonal, starting in mid april or may, and running through October. I also considered Continental and BA, American was the cheapest for miles and availability at the time. Call early, good luck.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Have you thought of using BA? Their should be a flight that works for the outbound that doesn't require a change of airport to FCO. The ability to do a stopover has been our big reason to use BA as our award airline for Rome.

Can also train it to Venice from Termini or v.v as Missy stated.

AA also has decent service (seasonal) from ORD and JFK to Rome. Would highly suggest ORD routing for Seattle routings.

lala
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by toadman
Starting to research a trip to Italy for next April/May. Just wondering about how others have done this in the past. Which partner airline did you go with? Looks like going BA means switching from LHR to LGW for service into VCE and hoping to have an open jaw and fly out of FCO (Rome), which looks to have direct service to LHR. What about CO, NWA or AA? Thanks for any input.
If SEA-LHR has no availability consider taking BA from DFW. This flys into Gatwick and you can connect with VCE without changing airports, then on the return go FCO-LHR-SEA. AS will fly you to DFW to connect (might be a nast lay-over)
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lalala
Have you thought of using BA? Their should be a flight that works for the outbound that doesn't require a change of airport to FCO. The ability to do a stopover has been our big reason to use BA as our award airline for Rome.

Can also train it to Venice from Termini or v.v as Missy stated.

AA also has decent service (seasonal) from ORD and JFK to Rome. Would highly suggest ORD routing for Seattle routings.

lala
FCO might be the way to go as BA does have service via LHR. We were thinking of starting in VCE and then heading south through Umbria and then to Rome. I guess taking a train back from VCE to FCO would be okay but I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
If SEA-LHR has no availability consider taking BA from DFW. This flys into Gatwick and you can connect with VCE without changing airports, then on the return go FCO-LHR-SEA. AS will fly you to DFW to connect (might be a nast lay-over)
JONEZY00,

Thanks for that tip.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by toadman
JONEZY00,

Thanks for that tip.
de Nada... have just booked a BA award to Italy so was current on BA's flight schedule.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by lalala
AS only allows the choice of a stopover OR an open jaw but not both even though some of the partners allow both on one reservation. This is quite annoying and makes BA open jaws difficult because why whould you want to fly through LON unless you were given a stopover in either direction. I love flying into Germany and out of Spain or into France or AMS and out of Rome. I have to keep my stopover in LON VERY short in order to meet the rules. I am sure AS wants to make it easy so they do not have to memorize the rules of all the partners.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
AS only allows the choice of a stopover OR an open jaw but not both even though some of the partners allow both on one reservation. This is quite annoying and makes BA open jaws difficult because why whould you want to fly through LON unless you were given a stopover in either direction. I love flying into Germany and out of Spain or into France or AMS and out of Rome. I have to keep my stopover in LON VERY short in order to meet the rules. I am sure AS wants to make it easy so they do not have to memorize the rules of all the partners.

If you work the schedules to where you have a forced stopover you can get both. It'll be just a day in London, but better than nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.