Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is SAN in a third-world country?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Is SAN in a third-world country?

My wife, son and I had an AS flight from San Diego to PDX Saturday morning at 0645.

We arrived at 0525 to find the AS ticket counter an absolute mess; the check-in line stretched almost to the TSA line and AS seemed very shorthanded. In the cramped space at SAN, the ITM lines merged with the counter line, causing a lot of confusion. I counted seven ITM machines, with three of them non-operational. Compounding matters, one AS employee was handling baggage for all of the ITM machines, causing a backlog of people waiting to hand over their luggage and further clogging the ticketing area.

Once we got to an ITM machine (a 25 minute wait) and got our boarding passes, it took another 10 minutes waiting at the ITM area to hand our two bags to AS.

We won't even talk about the TSA line

Anyway, I've traveled in third world countries and found better organization and service -- even at airlines that ticketed by hand, without computers.

It just seemed to me that AS was running too many flights for not enough counter space/help. Other airlines at SAN weren't as bad and even had skycap check-in, but not so with AS.

Anyone else experience this at SAN? Is it always like this?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by ejulber
My wife, son and I had an AS flight from San Diego to PDX Saturday morning at 0645.

We arrived at 0525 to find the AS ticket counter an absolute mess; the check-in line stretched almost to the TSA line and AS seemed very shorthanded. In the cramped space at SAN, the ITM lines merged with the counter line, causing a lot of confusion. I counted seven ITM machines, with three of them non-operational. Compounding matters, one AS employee was handling baggage for all of the ITM machines, causing a backlog of people waiting to hand over their luggage and further clogging the ticketing area.

Once we got to an ITM machine (a 25 minute wait) and got our boarding passes, it took another 10 minutes waiting at the ITM area to hand our two bags to AS.

Anyway, I've traveled in third world countries and found better organization and service -- even at airlines that ticketed by hand, without computers.

It just seemed to me that AS was running too many flights for not enough counter space/help. Other airlines at SAN weren't as bad and even had skycap check-in, but not so with AS.

It was a holiday weekend. What do expect??
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:28 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold

Frankly, it is never like this in San Diego. It is Sprint break week for many people plus it is Easter. What do you really expect? Thats why airlines increase their time estimates during this time period.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

I would suggest that you email Alaska through their website. They need to be aware of this situation.

Email Alaska and let them know about this issue. It could have been due to a couple of people being sick or simply just the holiday rush. By the way, when someone calls in sick in the middle of the night, it is difficult to find an immediate replacement. Typically, it takes a couple of hours to find someone else to work.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus

Nope. I hardly ever see a long line at AS in SAN. I have seen very long lines/shorthanded counters at UA and US, however. I saw one US agent trying to check-in all the red-eye passengers a few weeks ago.

A couple months ago, I took the 0630 flight out of SAN. I arrived around 0500 to check-in and there was no line to speak of at check-in or security. It was a 739 and the flight went out pretty full, and I overheard the 0645 PDX flight was full as well.

Anyway, 35 minutes to check bags isn't that bad. That's almost "normal" for SEA or LAX during the AM hours...

Last edited by EIPremier; Mar 29, 2005 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:31 pm

You got hit with the spring time tripple header. The return of the PDX spring break, easter weekend, and regular high weekend traffic.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
That's why I go out of my way to do web check-in whenever possible and only take carry-on. In fact I can't remember the last time I checked a bag.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nobbi
That's why I go out of my way to do web check-in whenever possible and only take carry-on. In fact I can't remember the last time I checked a bag.
Wife and my three year old where with me on this flight. 'Nuff said.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RASMguy
You got hit with the spring time tripple header. The return of the PDX spring break, easter weekend, and regular high weekend traffic.
Hey, we resemble that remark. We were enjoying the sunshine on our spring break.

Sounds like SAN was abnormally busy last weekend. I did email AS about the experience; seems like they could augment the staffing for the heavy weekends.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:42 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Frankly, it is never like this in San Diego. It is Sprint break week for many people plus it is Easter. What do you really expect? Thats why airlines increase their time estimates during this time period.
Your point is well taken, but what I would expect is for AS to anticipate such a volume rush and staff accordingly -- particularly since it is more likely to have less experienced travelers. After all, they know how heavy the volume will be days (if not weeks) in advance. I understand it can be problematic to get staff to work on a holiday, but if they want to be in a customer service business, they have to act like it.

The OP's experience, though atypical, is inexcusable.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Wife and my three year old where with me on this flight. 'Nuff said.

"Wife" can be taught to pack reasonably.

And the kid doesn't need lots of outfits.

On the more serious side: you're totally right about anticipating demand. There's really little excuse for ITMs not working and not having the logistics of lines etc. worked out.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nobbi
"Wife" can be taught to pack reasonably.

And the kid doesn't need lots of outfits.
Sending them your way via FedEx!

Actually, I was the one that packed heavy. Small bag for my clothes, but add to that my computer bag and a backpack packed to the gills with pro camera gear.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by wth
Your point is well taken, but what I would expect is for AS to anticipate such a volume rush and staff accordingly -- particularly since it is more likely to have less experienced travelers. After all, they know how heavy the volume will be days (if not weeks) in advance. I understand it can be problematic to get staff to work on a holiday, but if they want to be in a customer service business, they have to act like it.

The OP's experience, though atypical, is inexcusable.
You get what you pay for I guess. Sometimes even the best guesses on traffic patterns don't always work out, or something else happens like an employee is ill, or otherwise. I have traveled many times at this time of year and you just have to expect that it will be more crowded. More crowded means slower passengers through security, through the check in process, etc. These passengers often don't travel much and may not know the latest in security procedures, suitcase weight limits, or other things. It goes with the territory. This is an isolated incident and I'd leave it at that.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The real third world country would have to be T3 in LAX, particularly for the last bank of flights out.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:18 am

Hey, we resemble that remark. We were enjoying the sunshine on our spring break.

Sounds like SAN was abnormally busy last weekend. I did email AS about the experience; seems like they could augment the staffing for the heavy weekends.
And we thank you for choosing to get to the sunshine on AS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.