Search

Need award travel help please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA balance: 92K

Alaska balance: 145K

Wont' work. I think I might just try to get AA to book me to London on their metal, then turn around call Alaska, and get them to match. As much as I don't want to take a LCC to BCN, I might have to. Just annoys me that I can use my miles (in theory) to get me all the way to BCN but b/c of the two airline's incompatible ff programs, I can't use it in it's entireity.

a pain, yes, but nothing to be too annoyed with. AS and AA are two seperate airlines that compete with each other who have different frequent flyer programs. as an AS MVPGold, i am quite happy AS has stayed out of the OW alliance -- i think the AS members benefit from the wide range of partners (OW partners, SkyTeam partners, plus others). it is a win-win situation for AS customers!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:00 pm

AA balance: 92K

Alaska balance: 145K

Wont' work. I think I might just try to get AA to book me to London on their metal, then turn around call Alaska, and get them to match. As much as I don't want to take a LCC to BCN, I might have to. Just annoys me that I can use my miles (in theory) to get me all the way to BCN but b/c of the two airline's incompatible ff programs, I can't use it in it's entireity.
That's the point, you have miles in 2 incompatible programs. It makes sense that AA and AS have different rules since AA is OW and AS is not. Both are great for certain things, but of course they have different rules.

Not that anyone asked me, but I would send my wife in F using the AS miles and fly in J myself. You can be apart for 10 hours for flying, especially if it's in F or J (and she'll be able to tell you stories about her F experience).
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
As much as I don't want to take a LCC to BCN, I might have to.
Who said anything about a LCC? BA often matches most fares, and has much better service in Economy than most U.S. carriers.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Who said anything about a LCC? BA often matches most fares, and has much better service in Economy than most U.S. carriers.
I mentioned the LCC's just because I've never seen BA match Ryan Air and Easy Jet's $30-40 or so all-in London to anywhere in Europe fares. BA and the LCC's are probably comparable on short notice but I've never seen BA even come close to the LCC's with four (or more) months' notice.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:02 pm

Try this:

1. AAdvantage PHX-___-LHR-BCN on AA and BA metal

2. Mileage Plan PHX-___-LHR on AA metal

3. Purchase BA ticket in coach to match the second flights of your award itinerary on AAdvantage(yes, I know you can't sit together, although you could request a downgrade on the LHR-BCN-LGW legs if you must) LHR-BCN-LGW - should be under $200.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Oh well. I just should suck it up as two different airlines with two different frequent flyer programs. I called AA to see if we can change my ticket to reflect just phx-dfw-lon and they told me they only have one day, 4/7 open for business and the only return open is on 4/19...oh great!

Looks like this trip wasn't made to happen. I think I might be enjoying two trips myself -- one with AA miles, one with Alaska

Thanks to all for your input at any rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.