Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Secret Revealed: How to use BofA Upgrade Coupons....maybe.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Revealed: How to use BofA Upgrade Coupons....maybe.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by wishIwasflyin
The passes come the 1st year, and then each year after you only get a coupon to the boardroom membership.

Are they still doing BR passes at all? We got a notice about 2+ years ago that that perk was totally D/C'ed. Now we just get the upgrade and companion coupons - and they do look just like junk mail tucked into the bill.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 5:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

When my partner and I upgraded to the Signature card from the Classic Platinum last year we each got a whole new set of the $50 companion, 2 upgrade coupons, AND 2 board room pases each.....I think they still give them out with new cards...just not the renewals.....
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Don't worry too much about this, no more UG certs in 2005

The title says it all. BofA has enhanced the card again because of difficulty using the UG certs. So no more with renewals. What is now left is the $50 companion fare (works out to about $140 to Mexico) and a high international exchange rate.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by opushomes
The title says it all. BofA has enhanced the card again because of difficulty using the UG certs. So no more with renewals. What is now left is the $50 companion fare (works out to about $140 to Mexico) and a high international exchange rate.
$140 if you can travel on one of the super discounted fares. I'm looking at using mine in February, with base fares around $400. So, mine should save me $350, well worth the $75 annual fee.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I think he meant $140 as the total cost including taxes for a Mexico ticket
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Unless something has changed, the super cheap web fares are not usable with a companion certificate because one must buy a ticket at the airport (now that the city ticket offices are closed) and the cheapest ticket at the airport is not normally the same as the web-based one. So do not count your dollars so quickly. Yes, the companion cert is still worth the yearly cost of the card, if you use it, I do not always. But remember, the value of the deal is now devalued because of no Boardroom passes and no elusive 1st Class upgrades. Last travel year, we managed to use them from LAX-PVR. (remember, they were only good for 1250 miles each).
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:33 pm

Yes, $140 with taxes and extras to Mexico, all inclusive

Missy,

Correct me if the previous post is incorrect re: no internet booking.

mb
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:40 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by opushomes
Unless something has changed, the super cheap web fares are not usable with a companion certificate because one must buy a ticket at the airport (now that the city ticket offices are closed) and the cheapest ticket at the airport is not normally the same as the web-based one. So do not count your dollars so quickly. Yes, the companion cert is still worth the yearly cost of the card, if you use it, I do not always. But remember, the value of the deal is now devalued because of no Boardroom passes and no elusive 1st Class upgrades. Last travel year, we managed to use them from LAX-PVR. (remember, they were only good for 1250 miles each).
Any travel agent can handle the transaction.... paying $25 to the TA sure beats going to the airport.........
Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:06 pm

You can reserve and hold a ticket on-line but you cannot select an IO fare type - any other is okay.

You then have 24 hrs. to get to the airport or have your TA issue the ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Related to the previous post:

One can book a (non-IO fare) reservation online, ticket the next day using a paper voucher as partial credit, and still receive the online booking bonus?
Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Related to the previous post:

One can book a (non-IO fare) reservation online, ticket the next day using a paper voucher as partial credit, and still receive the online booking bonus?
Not in my experience. Earlier this year I did this exact same type of transaction and did not receive the booking bonus. But I didn't expect to receive it, so I wasn't disappointed.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I think he meant $140 as the total cost including taxes for a Mexico ticket
Well, that does make sense, doens't it! Since that's the cost I was deducting from the higher prices to get the savings! Oops!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
Any travel agent can handle the transaction.... paying $25 to the TA sure beats going to the airport.........
Which just reinforces my comment that the cheapest fares do not work with the companion certificate. Still, overall, the value of the cert is good.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 4:48 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
I think this has to do with AS withholding F and U inventory on very full flights. The odd thing is, it looks like AS is reserving some inventory internally and not showing it on the limited remaining availability tools. For example, I'm on an OAK-PDX flight tomorrow but didn't get upgraded at the 48 hour mark. I checked the flyaow tool and all flights from OAK-PDX tomorrow showed no availability. However, alaskaair.com showed at least one F seat for sale. I called and was able to upgrade despite U showing as zero. It sounds like AS may be zeroing out flights with likely bumps (and poor alternative possibilities) but internally allowing upgrades or F sales. Or, I suppose, the information on flyaow might be out of date.

In any event, the lesson (as always) is to call and ask rather than relying on automatic upgrades, particularly if you are within the 36-hour window.
Can anyone else confirm that AS does this? I'm on a flight next week that's totally zeroed out but the seatmap shows five first seats available. Would love to be able to call in and get an upgrade (plus, I doubt i'm high enough on the waitlist to get one even if a U seat or two opens up).
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:05 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gba
Can anyone else confirm that AS does this? I'm on a flight next week that's totally zeroed out but the seatmap shows five first seats available. Would love to be able to call in and get an upgrade (plus, I doubt i'm high enough on the waitlist to get one even if a U seat or two opens up).
I've had calling to upgrade work ... once. But at the same time I was told I was going to get the automatic upgrade anyway; it just hadn't processed through the e-mail and auto-phone notification system yet. All other times I've been at the mercy of the computer, whose workings I won't even pretend to understand (sometimes I get an upgrade more than 72 hours out, as Gold, other times 48 hours out, etc.).

Can't hurt to call. But as I'm on the road every week to different locales, adding another phone call to my "to do" list is not likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.