Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Platinum card and Board Room passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2002, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Today mrscethen received a pre-approved application for an AS Platinum Visa card. On the application, it clearly states that the rewards include: "Two Board Room passes." On the reverse, the fine print reads: "Alaska Airlines Board Room Passes can be used at Alaska Airlines Board Rooms at selected airports: (abbreviated for space) YVR, SEA, LAS, SFO, PDX and ANC. Alaska Airlines reserves the right to revise Board Room hours of operation and limit the number of guests per room based on occupancy restrictions or adverse conditions at individual airport locations. Use of Board Room guest pass does not include guest or conference room privileges. Board Room passes are non-transferable."

Her credit card offer expires October 14, 2002, about 2 1/2 months after I received this message in the "Customer Corner" section of my July Platinum Visa statement: "Important Account Update: Effective August 1, 2002 The Alaska Airlines Platinum card will no longer offer the anniversary benefit of two Board Room passes. Current non-expired Board Room passes are still valid. All other benefits remain the same."

So what gives? It appears AS/BoA is still hyping the Board Room passes as a benefit to new Platinum customers, even after discontinuing the same benefit to us old Platinum customers. This sure seems deceiving, especially if they are just going give her a couple of passes, then turn around and cancel the benefit immediately after she signs up. FWIW, the Bank of America link at http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc..._alaskaair.cfm still shows the Board Room Passes as a benefit as well.

Anyone know what the real deal is?
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:59 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The Boardroom passes will be part of the new sign up package only. The "anniversary" benefits package will have a coupon for $$ off Boardroom membership instead.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I understand now. It just seemed confusing that there's essentially one set of benefits for new customers, and another for returning customers.

Oh yeah, that's called marketing.

Thanks for the quick reply, Missy!
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:03 am

Excerpted from a previous post:

" Today mrscethen received a pre-approved application for an AS Platinum Visa card. On the application, it clearly states that the rewards include: "Two Board Room passes." On the reverse, the fine print reads: "Alaska Airlines Board Room Passes can be used at Alaska Airlines Board Rooms at selected airports: (abbreviated for space) YVR, SEA, LAS, SFO, PDX and ANC."

Just one question...has it really been that long since I was in Vegas (better cash in that change jar, if so), or I am going nuts....when did AS put a board room in LAS? Is this supposed to read LAX?
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

fredmartens, you are correct, sir. That should read LAX. I read it over and over before posting and never caught it.

Stupid lousy Lasik surgery!

Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:40 am

Y'know, I guess in retrospect on all this, I feel like it's kinda worth it to just go ahead and get the Board Room membership every year...even though I only use it in SEA (ok, once in awhile in PDX, ANC and LAX).

If you tally up the cost of having this, it's a paltry $14.58 a month for golds...use it 2 or 3x per month and it's a real steal (even with the demise of cashew, almond and mixed nut packets this past year...). And to think you can't even get MacTarnahan's anywhere else in the SEA airport!

True value hounds, just think of how affordable all the cheese, crackers, peanuts -n- brewskis are when you eat at least 6 cheese -n- crackers, 2 peanut packs and 2 beers while waiting for a flight! That's got to be at least a $7 value per visit! Bring a buddy in with you, and the cost is slashed even further, while the value skyrockets!

Toss in a free apple, muffin or banana, and you can see where this membership is a true value...why, you could even consider this a savings on your grocery bill! OK, enough marketing savvy displayed, I gotta get back to my coffee...
Old Aug 29, 2002, 9:12 am
In Memoriam

Fred: I have to agree with you, and I tell those who rarely fly AS but do fly NW, that this is one of the best deals around. I use my membership much more often at WorldClubs than I do at Boardrooms, and it has been invaluable and a bargain to boot at $175/year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.