Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer from Marriott Bonvoy to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Transfer from Marriott Bonvoy to Alaska

How long is it currently taking to transfer from Marriott Convoy to Alaska? I wouldn't normally consider it, but 120,000 Marriott points for a Business class seat on Condor is appealing!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by auorab
How long is it currently taking to transfer from Marriott Convoy to Alaska? I wouldn't normally consider it, but 120,000 Marriott points for a Business class seat on Condor is appealing!
No idea on the actual question, but make sure the seat is actually available - I have seen a lot of phantom awards with Condor J, especially near the 330 day mark. (but yes, I have also seen and booked a number of real awards in recent months)
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No idea on the actual question, but make sure the seat is actually available - I have seen a lot of phantom awards with Condor J, especially near the 330 day mark. (but yes, I have also seen and booked a number of real awards in recent months)
How would I know if it is a phantom awards?

It is only 3 months out.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:06 am

The transfer to AS should take 2-3 days. There're still plenty of ways to use AS miles, even with the most recent devaluation, if it turns out the award is phantom.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by auorab
How would I know if it is a phantom awards?

It is only 3 months out.
Call AS and ask to book it and see if it shows up for them.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tth6133
There're still plenty of ways to use AS miles, even with the most recent devaluation, if it turns out the award is phantom.
I find AS miles pretty difficult to use for any decent value at all, particularly long-haul premium cabin. Sitting on over 400k.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I find AS miles pretty difficult to use for any decent value at all, particularly long-haul premium cabin. Sitting on over 400k.
To me, AS miles are the new best currency for short-haul flights (under 1,500 miles) all over the world. I used to use BA Avios for those short-haul flights, but BA award charts are a mess these days (with different charts for many different partner airlines). BA also prices awards segment-by-segment for flights with connections while AS is based on the cumulative distance, which generally turns out to be less expensive for short-haul flights. Of course, AS miles are much harder to accumulate than BA Avios, so they should remain more valuable. There're still some long-haul sweet spots in the new award chart, on TATL, and even TPAC, routes.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tth6133
There're still some long-haul sweet spots in the new award chart, on TATL, and even TPAC, routes.
I don't really care about the chart when there's no long-haul premium cabin availability. A very far cry from what MP was just a couple of years ago. What I mainly see is QR and JX for 200k or higher per segment.

Both AA and BA are still cheaper for short-haul IME (though BA pricier than it used to be). For PHX-SFO in F, for example, AS will be 25k while AA is 19.5 and BA 21 (or so).

Bottom line is I would hesitate to transfer, especially with how long it takes for Marriott transfers to process.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I feel more brand loyalty to AS than Marriott (and am Lifetime MVPG and Platinum) but I have a much easier time getting decent redemptions via Convoy than AS.

It's been very nearly impossible to get two J seats to Asia via AS points where and when I'd like to go.

Conversely I've had good luck getting nice properties in HI, Greece and Napa in the recent past via Marriott points.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:58 pm

Taking more than 72 hours

Same question here. I initiated a transfer on Mar 30th late PM and now it's Apr 2nd late PM -- so it can take at least 72 hours. Wondering how long it should take...

Update: Posted Apr 4th mid-day. Received an email from loyaltyprogramrisk team prompting that "contact Customer Service if this is fraud" on Apt 1st. Marriott confirm that my request is sent on Apr 1st as well. So it's hold by Marriott for 2 days, and processed by Alaska for 3 days.

Last edited by diamond_duke; Apr 11, 2024 at 8:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.