Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Be Unpopular About Virgin America?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Can I Be Unpopular About Virgin America?

MVP 100k here. I loved the Virgin America product a lot, but was an SFO-based UA 1k/Platinum for most of its life. I preferred Virgin, but while it "knows all the places I want to be" it did not offer to sell me tickets to many destinations it knew I wanted to go. I love how Virgin helped Alaska improve its game, especially inflight food, and that the combined airline joined OneWorld which means elite status has a global weight. (Even though a lot of OneWorld partner employees think Alaska is a regional airline like American Eagle.) Alaska will go through another acquisition soon, and as former Virgins...can we choose to be positive and appreciate Alaska? I hope Hawaiian becomes more Alaska than vice versa.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Virgin was the shiny new thing that made techies and hipsters feel "cool" and that's something that is a good memory for them so they think fondly of it. Meanwhile, they made a profit once, $1 million dollars, the last quarter of their independant existence.
eponymous_coward and jsguyrus like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Never flew Virgin - but always gnashed my teeth having to book an ex-VA Airbus as I almost never got upgraded.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Of course you can be " unpopular" re: Virgin. I've had a couple of really awful flights up front on that airline, and who knows, probably some of the same atrocious crews providing the minimum of service on AS. On the other hand, I had some wonderful VX flights, a few times even enjoying a couple rounds of full bar PDB. I "appreciate Alaska" but call it out when it fails. It wants to play with the big boys but at times thinks it can get away with the same nonsense it used to by throwing us a few miles or a credit - but we're no longer talking about a West Coast flight - we're talking about the entire CONUS, 49 and 50.

Where VX excelled, and what I wish AS would emulate, is a true premium Y experience. It didn't require anything more than the current Y+ seating, or much in extra catering. It just required the crew to get off of its rear a bit more and provide service. It made even the shortest flights a pleasant experience, and the longer flights something that I would never feel like I got my head stomped on by asking for another beverage. It was a product that myself and others actually paid for.

Miss some things about VX, sure. Think about it very frequently, not at all. Waste my time on FT reading and posting about it? You bet.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:53 am

Yeah I liked the VX seating and IFE but found the crews to be uneven. Some were great and very attentive while others had “attitude” for lack of a better phrase. I remember asking if we could get a beverage on a las-sfo flight and being told “no” without so much as even an apology. The movies on VX weren’t free in regular economy and neither were snacks so in some ways the product was actually a little more LCC. But I really miss the A321neos and wish AS held on to those.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Yeah I liked the VX seating and IFE but found the crews to be uneven. Some were great and very attentive while others had “attitude” for lack of a better phrase. I remember asking if we could get a beverage on a las-sfo flight and being told “no” without so much as even an apology. The movies on VX weren’t free in regular economy and neither were snacks so in some ways the product was actually a little more LCC. But I really miss the A321neos and wish AS held on to those.
Spot on. My experience flying VX was similar to my experience buying a certain cutting-edge tech product circa 2009 whose rabid fanboys kept glowing about, then being baffled by the lousy user experience and constant glitches. I found that their culture was very snooty and pompous about a product that was pretty middling.
diver858 and TEDisgone like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Of course you can be " unpopular" re: Virgin. I've had a couple of really awful flights up front on that airline, and who knows, probably some of the same atrocious crews providing the minimum of service on AS. On the other hand, I had some wonderful VX flights, a few times even enjoying a couple rounds of full bar PDB. I "appreciate Alaska" but call it out when it fails. It wants to play with the big boys but at times thinks it can get away with the same nonsense it used to by throwing us a few miles or a credit - but we're no longer talking about a West Coast flight - we're talking about the entire CONUS, 49 and 50.

Where VX excelled, and what I wish AS would emulate, is a true premium Y experience. It didn't require anything more than the current Y+ seating, or much in extra catering. It just required the crew to get off of its rear a bit more and provide service. It made even the shortest flights a pleasant experience, and the longer flights something that I would never feel like I got my head stomped on by asking for another beverage. It was a product that myself and others actually paid for.

Miss some things about VX, sure. Think about it very frequently, not at all. Waste my time on FT reading and posting about it? You bet.
I once asked for an entire can of POG in premium class, FA told me no since they would probably run out. So I did ask for a full cup, no ice. Come on, that can of Hawaiian sun probably only costs 50c in Costco..
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 985X
I once asked for an entire can of POG in premium class, FA told me no since they would probably run out. So I did ask for a full cup, no ice. Come on, that can of Hawaiian sun probably only costs 50c in Costco..
You could have simply ordered 3 or 4 of the from the screen (no not making excuses for a bad crew)
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by blue bear
Never flew Virgin - but always gnashed my teeth having to book an ex-VA Airbus as I almost never got upgraded.
FlyerTalk (Legend 717) taught me the two-part trick to upgrading on those flights. As an AS MVP Gold at the time, it was possible to call and request a complimentary upgrade into MCS (Main Cabin Select). Then, because MCS and F fares were historically priced WAY too close to one another, you simply pay for the upgrade from MCS to F. I recall paying something in the realm of $250 for an SFO-MCO flight, well worth it for a long flight for the VX F product.
Legend717 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really didn't like the interior colors used on VX planes. Not soothing to me at all.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
VX F was a wonderful experience. I really do miss it.

There are great things about Hawaiian like lie-flat seats on the 330s. I don’t want AS to rip them out and replace them with the current F product!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
The service was solid, but the FF program was weak and the innovations became old very quickly. The dart board route map was its demise. It really had no idea how to develop routes. Many of its short haul routes are now flown by E175s, and wouldn't work if AS had to fly them only with mainline aircraft.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
There are great things about Hawaiian like lie-flat seats on the 330s. I don’t want AS to rip them out and replace them with the current F product!
Pure speculation, but will be a function of how AS ultimately deploys the A330's; lie-flats are tough to justify in 5-6 hour flights from the West Coast to Hawaii, possibly even secondary mainland US cities. May make more sense for longer haul TPAC - assuming AS pursues such destinations.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
FlyerTalk (Legend 717) taught me the two-part trick to upgrading on those flights. As an AS MVP Gold at the time, it was possible to call and request a complimentary upgrade into MCS (Main Cabin Select). Then, because MCS and F fares were historically priced WAY too close to one another, you simply pay for the upgrade from MCS to F. I recall paying something in the realm of $250 for an SFO-MCO flight, well worth it for a long flight for the VX F product.
Theres a very similar trick still possible on AS…
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Theres a very similar trick still possible on AS…
care to share?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.