Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Time extended to buy AS Miles at 70% bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:18 am
Original Poster

"We're giving you more time to get more miles. Now through March 20, 2024 buy miles and get up to a 70% bonus with your purchase.

Ready to unlock your bonus?"

Perhaps one can conclude that mileage plan members are not knocking each other out of the way to provide immediate cash flow to AS.
What does our FT community feel is the current value AS miles?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:19 am

Right now its the most useless program amongst all US airlines. Maybe has some utility for domestic routes. But for international routes this program is as good as dead!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Until partner premium cabin award space starts opening up, I agree it's of limited utility. Would also be nice if I could upfare seats to J using miles. I would get a lot more interested.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I am sitting on just south of a million miles that are not so much useless, but less usable in the past. I'll continue to redeem for MCE for 22.5K on AA to start a trip to europe and look for decently priced PE/J tickets that start in the EU. I'm glad I'm not going further afield at this time. I hope they don't end their partnership with TN, while not the height of elegance, the convenience of the SEA-CDG-SEA non stop can't be beat.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by writetorich
Perhaps one can conclude that mileage plan members are not knocking each other out of the way to provide immediate cash flow to AS.
The dust is still settling from the award chart changes (which are ongoing right now). It definitely gets rid of the "fly to HKG then JNB with a stopover for 70k in CX F" case for extreme value everyone at FT drools over, as well as CX J @ 50k North America-Asia (not that CX has been particularly generous with NA award inventory for the last four years or so). It's clearly a devaluation. That being said everyone save AA has devalued in the last five years or so. Also there are some use cases that are going to be improved (like shorthaul Y/J under 1500 miles). I could see hopping around Asia/South Pacific/Middle East/Europe being quite useful with a stash of AS miles, especially if you can combine it with elite status in oneworld. The ugly part is the 50k for midhaul in Asia (above 1500 miles just gets absolutely nuked for value, which is likely intentional given that AS tends to be targeted in that region by mileage brokers). Probably should see discussion in that thread and draw your own conclusions.

Originally Posted by memanny
Right now its the most useless program amongst all US airlines. Maybe has some utility for domestic routes. But for international routes this program is as good as dead!
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Until partner premium cabin award space starts opening up, I agree it's of limited utility. Would also be nice if I could upfare seats to J using miles. I would get a lot more interested.
If you say so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tth6133 likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 15, 2024 at 12:03 pm
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:40 pm

None of mileage currencies is useful at all times, or in all regions at any point in time. That's why we keep miles in transferrable currencies or in multiple different FF programs, don't we? Even with the latest devaluation, I still consider AS miles to be among the most valuable, slightly less valuable than AA miles, on par with AC miles, but much more valuable than either UA or DL miles. Miles in some other foreign FF programs may have some sweet spots, but they tend to have more restrictions (with respect to expiration, cancellation, carrier surcharges, etc.)

OTOH, I wouldn't buy AS miles, or any airline miles (with the exception of AV miles when there's a great promotion and I can use them almost right away), at the prices being offered.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by tth6133; Mar 15, 2024 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich
"We're giving you more time to get more miles. Now through March 20, 2024 buy miles and get up to a 70% bonus with your purchase.

Ready to unlock your bonus?"

Thanks...I was thinking about buying some miles before the bonus offer time running out tonight, but when I logged into the account it shows only 60% bonus?!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lalala
… TN, while not the height of elegance, the convenience of the SEA-CDG-SEA non stop can't be beat.
60k for J on that flight was indeed a good deal
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jrl767
60k for J on that flight was indeed a good deal
is it gone now? Yup. Its gone for now. I see one sad seat available. Not sure I can swing the trip.

Last edited by lalala; Mar 19, 2024 at 6:31 am
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Deadline extended again... the cash flow must be dismal.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:28 am

I pull tickets to Sao Paulo / Santiago for 25k-35k miles one way all the time. Coach fares are $1000-1400 cash. Still 3-4 cent per mile redemption.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by johndoe123
I pull tickets to Sao Paulo / Santiago for 25k-35k miles one way all the time. Coach fares are $1000-1400 cash. Still 3-4 cent per mile redemption.
Multi-city Mexico to SCL to IPC is a really good deal at 45k w stopover in business class. Even worth buying miles to do that- about $700 each way. Look for MEX and CUN. yeah, there is the (not insignificant) cost of US-MEX-US to add on, but for the lie flats for those two longer segments this is still a really good deal.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:55 pm

How about now ?
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The dust is still settling from the award chart changes (which are ongoing right now). It definitely gets rid of the "fly to HKG then JNB with a stopover for 70k in CX F" case for extreme value everyone at FT drools over, as well as CX J @ 50k North America-Asia (not that CX has been particularly generous with NA award inventory for the last four years or so). It's clearly a devaluation. That being said everyone save AA has devalued in the last five years or so. Also there are some use cases that are going to be improved (like shorthaul Y/J under 1500 miles). I could see hopping around Asia/South Pacific/Middle East/Europe being quite useful with a stash of AS miles, especially if you can combine it with elite status in oneworld. The ugly part is the 50k for midhaul in Asia (above 1500 miles just gets absolutely nuked for value, which is likely intentional given that AS tends to be targeted in that region by mileage brokers). Probably should see discussion in that thread and draw your own conclusions.

If you say so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How about now ?
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How about now ?

Clearly the worst program ever when prices actually went DOWN on some J redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.