Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
737. Aloha used the same plane, doing the same thing… in Hawaii. For a lot of years.
And a lot of years ago, using the 737-200 with those cigar tubes under the wings. I am not sure that those engines and their suitability for frequent short hops with no cool down period are necessarily comparable to the engines hanging under the wings of modern NG and MAX aircraft. But I am certainly not an expert in this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: Costco Club
I personally know at least 10 people who save their Alaska miles and go to Hawaii once a year. If the flights are “free” then the price of the hotel doesn’t sting so much.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I personally know at least 10 people who save their Alaska miles and go to Hawaii once a year. If the flights are “free” then the price of the hotel doesn’t sting so much.
Or better yet, burn Marriott points to save $500/night in Waikiki or over a grand a night on Maui or the big island.

And it's not like alternative destinations are any cheaper. Mexico has become just as ridiculous.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a lot of off islanders don't realize about the frequency of the HA inter island flights is they are full of locals who commute to other islands for work and locals who fly to other islands to see family and locals who fly to other islands for medical needs. Very different than mainland where you jump in a car if you need to go 80-150 miles to another city for some reason. Here, you jump on a plane. Locals like to support local so they fly HA.
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Baze
What a lot of off islanders don't realize about the frequency of the HA inter island flights is they are full of locals who commute to other islands for work and locals who fly to other islands to see family and locals who fly to other islands for medical needs. Very different than mainland where you jump in a car if you need to go 80-150 miles to another city for some reason. Here, you jump on a plane. Locals like to support local so they fly HA.
My parents lived on Maui, but Dad’s daily commute was to the office on Oahu. Apparently this is pretty normal.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Pre-Covid I visited Hawaii four or so times per year. I return this week, but have not visited in over a year.

Really do not like the anti-visitor sentiment, high upfront costs…and high taxes. Didn’t feel the Aloha last trip.

if things don’t feel different after my flight back to the mainland next week, will be quite a while before I spend money in the islands again.
As a regular Hawaii visitor myself, I have not really personally felt any anti-visitor sentiment. If anything, the aloha spirit is well alive. The hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, and airlines that we patronized last month and this month, for example, all extended a warm welcome.

There are certainly more regulations now around pre-booking state-park entry slots but what can you do when remote places just can't cope with the numbers of visitors who want to go at the same time, and there aren't enough parking spots or roadway space? I would be very interested in what you personally felt in terms of anti-visitor sentiment on your trip.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
As a regular Hawaii visitor myself, I have not really personally felt any anti-visitor sentiment. If anything, the aloha spirit is well alive. The hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, and airlines that we patronized last month and this month, for example, all extended a warm welcome.
Sentiment is far from universal, reasonable to expect residents who interact with tourists, dependent on their business to behave in such a manner. County and State governments are current considering all kinds of visitor tax and fee increases, much of the related public commentary is anything but warm and welcoming.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by diver858
Sentiment is far from universal, reasonable to expect residents who interact with tourists, dependent on their business to behave in such a manner. County and State governments are current considering all kinds of visitor tax and fee increases, much of the related public commentary is anything but warm and welcoming.
im waiting for my diving to be subject to additional marine park fees in addition to DLNR fees.

how dare a visitor try to go diving for free right off the beach?

Last edited by isaacchambers; Mar 11, 2024 at 6:47 pm
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by diver858
Those sentiments are not unique to Hawaii. Where I live many locals people hate anyone with a non-OR license plate and rant on local social media groups and Reddit subs about the damn tourists clogging up the trails and not knowing how traffic circles work etc. etc.

I have not personally experienced any HI locals who weren’t polite and welcoming. But of course almost all my interaction is with people who work in the tourism industry. I have multiple friends, though, who lived in the islands for a few years and moved back because they didn’t feel welcome there. I guess the Aloha spirit is really an invention of the tourism industry.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of a downturn in HI tourism to drive the lodging prices down to more reasonable levels.
flg8rmatt and TalkingPoint like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
im waiting for my diving to be subject to additional marine park fees in addition to DLNR fees.

how dare a visitor try to go diving for free right off the beach?
Not just shore diving: https://www.khon2.com/local-news/boa...pling-business
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I expect them to basically keep doing what HA is doing plus try very hard to figure out how to make MKK and LNY work as a community relations effort.

ETA: In the short term, that is. Intermediate term they have to figure out 717 replacement. HA's schedule strength is an advantage they need to hang onto, but there isn't a good 128-seat replacement on offer, so it's going to be an interesting problem.
Easiest route would probably be E175 with added frequency on some routes. But if Boeing gets its head out of its ... (unlikely), the MAX 7 isn't out of the question.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An important element of the inter-island flights is cargo. The E75 is not a good plane for cargo. My money is on the MAX 7.
isaacchambers likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have not personally experienced any HI locals who weren’t polite and welcoming. But of course almost all my interaction is with people who work in the tourism industry. I have multiple friends, though, who lived in the islands for a few years and moved back because they didn’t feel welcome there. I guess the Aloha spirit is really an invention of the tourism industry.
Strong disagree after 30-some years living here. If you didn’t grow up here, there’s a level of shared experience you don’t have with people who did. That doesn’t make it unwelcoming, it just makes it different from communities that care less about roots. The difference is maybe a little subtle, but “welcoming” is not the same as “no one cares where you’re from,” and some people are looking for the latter.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by selkirks
Easiest route would probably be E175 with added frequency on some routes. But if Boeing gets its head out of its ... (unlikely), the MAX 7 isn't out of the question.
The E175 has a little over half the capacity for passengers so they would have to add a LOT of frequency. And as was said E175 is not good for cargo and there is a lot of cargo being shipped throughout the islands. If not a 737 of some form next possibility I can see would the the A220.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
The E175 has a little over half the capacity for passengers so they would have to add a LOT of frequency. And as was said E175 is not good for cargo and there is a lot of cargo being shipped throughout the islands. If not a 737 of some form next possibility I can see would the the A220.
Gather all the unused 736s.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.