Search

In-flight Coffee Survey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In-flight Coffee Survey

I received an interesting and very specific survey from AS today about my views of their on-board coffee. One of the questions tested me to see if I knew what coffee they served in the past and what it was replaced by--I think I got an "A" on that one...lol. Anyway, my basic feedback was that I do appreciate that they still have the Decaf packet option, but I wish they would go back to Starbucks based on the fact that I find their coffee bolder than just about any other coffee brand.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I want mine served as a pdb with Irish Cream. Then I'm happy.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I received an interesting and very specific survey from AS today about my views of their on-board coffee. One of the questions tested me to see if I knew what coffee they served in the past and what it was replaced by--I think I got an "A" on that one...lol. Anyway, my basic feedback was that I do appreciate that they still have the Decaf packet option, but I wish they would go back to Starbucks based on the fact that I find their coffee bolder than just about any other coffee brand.
Bland on the plate, bold in the cup! (Your Food and Beverage mantra!) I've not yet had the current iteration of AS inflight brew - Is it third-wavey, or just a slightly lighter roast than the Starbucks?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Bland on the plate, bold in the cup! (Your Food and Beverage mantra!) I've not yet had the current iteration of AS inflight brew - Is it third-wavey, or just a slightly lighter roast than the Starbucks?
Uh oh...you may have figured me out...lol. Stumptown isn't like drinking the Starbucks blonde roast but it is a distinctly lighter roast. With Starbucks and Alaska based on the same city, I am honestly surprised they dropped them for their coffee supplier.
Seattle123 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
🛫☕️ AS never adorned their jets with “Proudly All Seattle” ☕️🛫
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Uh oh...you may have figured me out...lol. Stumptown isn't like drinking the Starbucks blonde roast but it is a distinctly lighter roast. With Starbucks and Alaska based on the same city, I am honestly surprised they dropped them for their coffee supplier.
Starbucks in the last year or so partnered with delta where you earn sky miles with every purchase and earn stars when flying delta.
formeraa likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I had two cups of Stumptown yesterday on AS, and I don’t know if it was just an off day, but my goodness, it is way too light for my tastes. Furthermore, when poured out of the carafe, it is not hot enough. The first few sips of coffee should be piping hot.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
On a recent mileage run I was in Premium on 5 of 6 flights and was appreciated with a chocolate on 4, all cappuccino. While I enjoy coffee from a socially acceptable distance, I never drink the stuff, so my wife got them all. She likes Stumptown too.

beckoa likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Did it ask about other coffee options? I don't understand why Alaska doesn't stock cold brew as a premium drink.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I had two cups of Stumptown yesterday on AS, and I don’t know if it was just an off day, but my goodness, it is way too light for my tastes. Furthermore, when poured out of the carafe, it is not hot enough. The first few sips of coffee should be piping hot.
I had mine along with the fruit torte?! The coffee was light roasty for me. Would prefer darker.

Jiburi
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Just enjoyed 2 cups on the flight back from GDL and I'm solidly on team Stumptown. It doesn't destroy my palate the way Starbucks does, so it pairs well with the food options. I've always found Starbucks, in flight or on the ground, to taste completely over roasted and burned whether blond, dark, or anything else.

That said, AS Stumptown can be hit or miss for me, which I think might come down to the coffee:water ratio. I wouldn't critique either brand based on the temperature as that seems very flight and equipment dependent.
zdfld, willoL and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K
My drink of choice is a double espresso. So while Starbucks drip in the air was never great coffee, it was tolerable as at least it was reliably bold. Stumptown is reminiscent of poor ratio hotel room coffee.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
My drink of choice is also espresso (black); that said, I prefer lighter roasts even prepared as espresso, and have a very strong bias in favor or Stumptown over Starbucks. It's all about subtle flavor profiles for me, though, and lighter roasts tend of offer more nuance.

That said, in flight coffee is always so bad, I don't really care which they serve on the plane. Unless something has gone terribly wrong with my arrival at an airport, or I'm en route overseas and will be sleeping in my seat, I'm caffeinated to my preferred level before I board.

I am enjoying drinks in the Lounge more with the Stumptown beans, but I don't find the quality as consistent as you would get with either roaster IN THEIR OWN CAFES. (My primary experience of Stumptown on their own premises is the location on Division in SE Portland, but my family hasn't lived in the neighborhood for well over a decade. https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/page...-division-cafe )

I love the Lounge staff, and I regularly drink my morning espresso at PDX for the convenience on days I fly, but I have yet to encounter airport espresso that rivals my favorite third wave coffee bars. Not actually surprised by that, for obvious reasons.
zdfld and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
I think the Stumptown coffee is perfectly fine. I can't say it seems noticeably better than Starbucks, but it's been a while. I typically avoid Starbucks because I also find it tastes burnt.

Another vote for offering a cold brew. I think that would be a massive improvement if Alaska can offer a decent one....or at least offer it in the lounges
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:04 pm

Tried it yesterday MCO-SEA as PDB – sadly did not think to ask for an Irish Cream, but still pretty good with the dairy creamer.

Last edited by asmallteapot; Feb 19, 2024 at 3:06 pm Reason: Fixed travel direction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.