Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] Premium Is Better than First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jrl767
eminently reasonable rant for now, Bob, but you’ll almost certainly get the UG on one if not both legs of that trip and it’ll be moot
Just trying to look out for the hoi poloi!
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Just had a similar service experience as the OP on a SAN-FLL flight. First drink order, and first interaction with the crew was an hour in to the flight (boarded with F, so had been sitting there for 95 minutes at this point) which was roughly over eastern Arizona. Breakfast service on this flight had the first tray being delivered at the time we were passing over Austin, TX, two full hours after departure. That was it. We heard announcements bout the first and second cart services occurring in the economy section, which made it even more annoying.

I don’t believe that there wasn’t any coincidence that this young FA had the “CONTRACT NOW” lanyard in full display the whole flight. The second young FA who joined him in the F galley midway through the flight sat down next to him and both proceeded to scroll instagram for a while.

By contrast, my return flight on AA had some of the best service I have experienced in quite some time.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:37 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by jrl767
theoretically and emotionally that’s all well and good (turning PC into “Euro Biz”), but from a practical standpoint the economics would be totally unsustainable
don't give them ideas! Euro-Biz seats are the last thing that we need
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'll take F over PE economy any day, but, like others have noted, FA attentiveness in F is sometimes poor, at best. My pet peeve is not getting a drink refill when the meal comes. I like to have a beverage with my meal and the initial drink is invariably gone by the time the meal arrives. Some FAs are very good about this, others not so much. On a recent series of many flight segments in a two week period, I had one FA in F who was absolutely outstanding. Unfortunately I did not notify Alaska Cares as it is good to recognize and reinforce excellent service.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I find it absolutely delightful every time a casual traveler in Premium goes looking for the bathroom in First and tries to open the closet door. The benefit of sitting in Premium is that you get a chance to observe the scenario from the get-go, the wandering eyes, overcoming your fears, the sense of discovery, the buildup of courage, the shift from flicker to focus.
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:51 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I find it absolutely delightful every time a casual traveler in Premium goes looking for the bathroom in First and tries to open the closet door.
I see this on almost every flight.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I find it absolutely delightful every time a casual traveler in Premium goes looking for the bathroom in First and tries to open the closet door. The benefit of sitting in Premium is that you get a chance to observe the scenario from the get-go, the wandering eyes, overcoming your fears, the sense of discovery, the buildup of courage, the shift from flicker to focus.
(1) Shocked that the "nearly opaque" curtain doesn't block the view, and (2) I often see a "casual traveler in First" trying to open the closet door for the loo. Oh, and while I'm at it, (3), because there's a "get," but fortunately not a "go" when they arrive at the closet.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
The wandering stumble of confusion is a source of amusement for me as well. I feel bad for them, but then the real joy is when they discover that the J lav is like half the size of the ones in the back. It seems a lot of people think it's some spacious compartment with an attendant and mints.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
The wandering stumble of confusion is a source of amusement for me as well. I feel bad for them, but then the real joy is when they discover that the J lav is like half the size of the ones in the back. It seems a lot of people think it's some spacious compartment with an attendant and mints.
Nobody's shown you the shower and bidet in the REAL AS F lav? Or the bar they have at the back of the plane? Complete with Krug, Chateau Lafite Rothschild and expensive whiskey?
Klrduks likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Nobody's shown you the shower and bidet in the REAL AS F lav? Or the bar they have at the back of the plane? Complete with Krug, Chateau Lafite Rothschild and expensive whiskey?
Can confirm that the AS F lavs are much better than the EK F showers you get on their A380s!

While EK only offers up to 5 minutes of water time in their showers, there's no limit on Alaska
https://www.tiktok.com/@oldrowoffici...583147?lang=en
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Will have an opportunity to test this out soon as flew F yesterday and will be Premium aka E+ in a week. The legroom is a big deal for me and seat width is #2 so i can't see F>P. If you rely on airline for food and drink then you clearly don't fly enough to be posting on FT. As others have noted, the bathroom access is probably underrated, and a key benefit of F.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, almost hate to bring it up, but since the hate is almost, you know, the way those micro sinks splash, you've almost got a bidet!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by JC5280
Just had a similar service experience as the OP on a SAN-FLL flight. First drink order, and first interaction with the crew was an hour in to the flight (boarded with F, so had been sitting there for 95 minutes at this point) which was roughly over eastern Arizona. Breakfast service on this flight had the first tray being delivered at the time we were passing over Austin, TX, two full hours after departure. That was it. We heard announcements bout the first and second cart services occurring in the economy section, which made it even more annoying.

I don’t believe that there wasn’t any coincidence that this young FA had the “CONTRACT NOW” lanyard in full display the whole flight. The second young FA who joined him in the F galley midway through the flight sat down next to him and both proceeded to scroll instagram for a while.

By contrast, my return flight on AA had some of the best service I have experienced in quite some time.
Please please please write in to Alaska. Those of us that also wear the red lanyard want a good contract to be able to keep up with the cost of living etc. However the majority of us realize that doing a crappy job does nothing to achieve the goal of a great contract.. We need our customers to support us and most of us continue to have pride in our jobs and want to provide an excellent experience onboard. Some of our coworkers just need reminding that they have a job to do.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Ahem.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...s/comfort-seat
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I can only imagine how many man-hours were spent writing, re-writing, woke-testing and running by legal counsel this material to meet today's standard and fear of being canceled, called out, shamed and ridiculed for appearing uncaring and insensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.