Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] Premium Is Better than First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
In fact, I've started to take myself off the waitlist on flights which don't appear to be full - you're welcome to the next person on the list
Go ahead, fight me on this
Passenger below you thanks you. Sadly, I'm currently above so won't help me. Oh well.
Jiburi
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
What is premium class?
Is that what normal people call business class?
In Europe they block the middle seat, give you a box lunch, then call it Business. In the US they give you an extra 3 inches of legroom, but leave the middle seat occupied, and call it Premium or MCE or whatever.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Economy First

Tho, I don't believe any airline offer this intentionally, if you happen to have the entire row to yourself, I call it "Economy First".

Jiburi
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
For the posters who say that it would be great to have an Premium with an empty seat like in Europe... In Europe that IS their business / first class. I for one do not want US carriers to emulate European domestic "business" and make business class / (US First) the same leg room as economy with an empty seat next to you...
Old Feb 12, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fwfdan
For the posters who say that it would be great to have an Premium with an empty seat like in Europe... In Europe that IS their business / first class. I for one do not want US carriers to emulate European domestic "business" and make business class / (US First) the same leg room as economy with an empty seat next to you...
It would be an interesting experiment, rip out the F recliners and just do 9 rows of Premium, coach seats with 36" pitch, allow up to 16 people to buy or upgrade to "F" and get a blocked middle... PC upgrades get you into those seats but no blocked middle.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing I noticed about European F/B is they can easily adjust the size of F/B by moving the curtain.. But no, I don't want USA carriers to emulate it. 31" of pitch in "F/B" sucks for us tall people.
Boraxo and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It would be an interesting experiment, rip out the F recliners and just do 9 rows of Premium, coach seats with 36" pitch, allow up to 16 people to buy or upgrade to "F" and get a blocked middle... PC upgrades get you into those seats but no blocked middle.
Please keep your interesting experiments to other planets. Mmmkay? Thanks. Years ago, AS was considering removal of the F cabina. Fortunately, someone installed one of these signs somewhere in the building:

I don't mind the Euro-J or LATAM Premium Y (like Euro J) on shorter hops (with a full J service provided), but on many of the AS stage lengths, I'd be choosing another carrier.

And in the unlikely event that anyone reading this has been subjugated to the horror and disgrace of an AS F seat while I'm enjoying the opulent splendor of AS Y+, please, oh please ask me to swap seats with you.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Feb 12, 2024 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
After reading all the responses. I do still feel it would be easy for AS’s IT department to recognize a 75/100 or maybe even gold have booked seats A & C and then not allow anyone to book B, same on the DEF side. Then if the elite gets boosted to first, or the plane hits a certain capacity open that seat up for booking at the 11th hour. I think that way some rows in PE would go out with an empty middle seat and with a very happy elite customer. Of course this is the same IT department that has messed up our upgrades for decades, so there is that.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Please keep your interesting experiments to other planets. Mmmkay? Thanks. Years ago, AS was considering removal of the F cabina.
I remember writing a long letter to AS expressing my disappointment at this proposed change (around 20 years ago, IIRC). I’m guessing I wasn’t the only one.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
After reading all the responses. I do still feel it would be easy for AS’s IT department to recognize a 75/100 or maybe even gold have booked seats A & C and then not allow anyone to book B, same on the DEF side. Then if the elite gets boosted to first, or the plane hits a certain capacity open that seat up for booking at the 11th hour. I think that way some rows in PE would go out with an empty middle seat and with a very happy elite customer. Of course this is the same IT department that has messed up our upgrades for decades, so there is that.
I recall that UA did this, decades ago, and I don't think it ever worked out all that well.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I recall that UA did this, decades ago, and I don't think it ever worked out all that well.
AA also did it, but that was back in the days of sub-80% load factors.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dayone
AA also did it, but that was back in the days of sub-80% load factors.
As well as aggressive upselling of extra legroom + a drink that probably costs $2. If that.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Not on AS

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
What is premium class?
Is that what normal people call business class?
Alaska First
Alaska has nothing compared to a First Class on any measurement.
At best AS First is a bad Rouge Premium without the entertainment, food or beverage service.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:04 am

alaska should eliminate all hot meals. a boxed salad or cheese plate is so much better than any reheated tv dinner., and it can be handed out in 5 minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Azamaraal
Alaska First
Alaska has nothing compared to a First Class on any measurement.
At best AS First is a bad Rouge Premium without the entertainment, food or beverage service.
The current AS F product is right in the ballpark of current offerings amongst the current pack of US-based carriers (of course, save a handful of premium routes).

But this thread is about Y+ better than F on AS. Not even close, and speaking of not even close, that includes the nearest lav you're supposed to use while seated @ Row 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.