Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX 9 Resumed Flying on 1/26/2024

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2024, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Looks like it was ferried from OKC today, and left 2 hours later than expected.
They've been sending a lot of the MAX 9s through OKC lately, presumably taking planes to AAR who does a lot of modification and maintenance work for Alaska.

I suspect it's a mix of farming out some of the return-to-service inspections to AAR and Alaska taking the opportunity to get pending upgrade work done. ("These things are grounded from revenue service for a while, may as well get those pending mods dealt with.") The original incident airplane also spent ten days at AAR in December for a wifi install which was enough to have some fingers pointed their way but they claim to have gone nowhere near that door.

If anyone's curious about the comings and goings, here's the flightaware link for all MAX 9s flying at the moment. (It includes operators of the high-density config that never stopped flying, so you'll see lots of Copa and Fly Dubai and a few others.) Alaska has had a bunch of repo flights over the last couple of days, mostly unpressurized (altitude around 10k), but some at normal cruise altitudes like the HNL-PDX flight happening right now as AS9822. United has been absent until recently but right now they've got one slogging back from Cancun to Houston at 10k, flying the coast instead of right across the Caribbean.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
As 621 las-pdx

Seem another Max already in-service, inbound to Portland from Las Vegas. AS621.All seats occupied. Lucky standby passenger CHO/C was assigned 26A.

Jiburi
willoL and williwaw like this.

Last edited by jiburi; Jan 26, 2024 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jiburi
Seem another Max already in-service, inbound to Portland from Las Vegas. AS621.All seats occupied. Lucky standby passenger CHO/C was assigned 26A.

Jiburi
maybe the passenger’s name is Courageous Choice
jiburi, SamirD and willoL like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:29 am

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM
Who will be the lucky first person to sit in seat 26A?!
Seems it was AS COO, Constance von Muehlen.

Smart PR move, especially with news crews in attendance.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VirtuousKangaroo
Seems it was AS COO, Constance von Muehlen.

Smart PR move, especially with news crews in attendance.
Notable (and not surprising to me): most of the passengers CNN interviewed didn’t know it was a -9 flight until told be news crews.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Should have been Ben, but you know he aint willing to risk it....send the COO instead.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
My Sunday morning ANC-PDX Flight 198 leg of an ANC-PDX-ORD trip was just switched from a 739 to a 7M9. I had booked a refundable DL backup flight for this very reason. My AS flight is scheduled to depart 1:06AM. My DL flight is scheduled to depart shortly thereafter. In case my AS flight is cancelled, I assume I have up until the scheduled departure time to cancel my DL flight for a refund (I sure hope).
Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
My Sunday morning ANC-PDX Flight 198 leg of an ANC-PDX-ORD trip was just switched from a 739 to a 7M9. I had booked a refundable DL backup flight for this very reason. My AS flight is scheduled to depart 1:06AM. My DL flight is scheduled to depart shortly thereafter. In case my AS flight is cancelled, I assume I have up until the scheduled departure time to cancel my DL flight for a refund (I sure hope).
Delta refundable fares can currently be cancelled before or after departure for refund for domestic and ex-US fares. Some refundable fares with outside US origin require cancellation before departure for refund.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 3, 2024 at 3:01 am
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Is there any report of AS back to near 100% completion?! I think earlier report indicated it would be near normal by this weekend…

Jiburi
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:06 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Is there any report of AS back to near 100% completion?! I think earlier report indicated it would be near normal by this weekend…

Jiburi
AS Only cancelled 4 flights yesterday, or 3% of the schedule. Huge improvement from the 25%-30% we were seeing when this was peak insanity.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday
jiburi likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
AS Only cancelled 4 flights yesterday, or 3% of the schedule. Huge improvement from the 25%-30% we were seeing when this was peak insanity.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday
The flexible travel policy banner has also been removed from the homepage. I only see one flight canceled so far today on flightaware and it is on a 738.
jiburi likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Did AS (and UA) get all MAX9 inspected? And, I wonder, did they fly their own mechanics to some out stations where aircraft were stranded, or did they send the instructions to some local contract mechanic? I believe UA, for example, had four MAX9 parked at CUN.

Finally, are we ever going to find out what number “many” represented when Ben said they found many aircraft with loose bolts? Is that going to be in some FAA or NTSB report?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Finally, are we ever going to find out what number “many” represented when Ben said they found many aircraft with loose bolts? Is that going to be in some FAA or NTSB report?
No, probably not.

Statistics prove the unrivaled safety of dirigible travel!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did AS (and UA) get all MAX9 inspected? And, I wonder, did they fly their own mechanics to some out stations where aircraft were stranded, or did they send the instructions to some local contract mechanic?

They were allowed to fly the planes unpressurized at 10k feet to maintenance bases for the purposes of inspection. I know someone posted here an example of a Max 9 ferried from DEN-OKC for inspection at AAR. Not sure how widely this occurred.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AlasksAirlines American Airlines
I would think that after inspection seat 26A would be the safest spot on a Max9?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.