Search

Northwest Winter Snow/Ice Storm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Northwest Winter Snow/Ice Storm

I'm scheduled to fly into PDX tomorrow night and it looks like the weather forecasters are predicting up to 8 inches of snow/ice by the end of today with temperatures not likely to rise above freezing until Tuesday. Anyone flying through there today having any issues with AS flights? Any better or worse in SEA?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm scheduled to fly into PDX tomorrow night and it looks like the weather forecasters are predicting up to 8 inches of snow/ice by the end of today with temperatures not likely to rise above freezing until Tuesday. Anyone flying through there today having any issues with AS flights? Any better or worse in SEA?
Same travel here too. Looks like some cancellations are starting:
https://www.flypdx.com/flights#/type...res/day/Today/

Friends sharing freezing rain in inner southeast Portland too now. Seattle looks spared the precipitation but not the cold. I grabbed an Amtrak ticket from Tukwila to PDX if I end up stuck in Seattle.
willoL likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is as ugly of a winter day as I’ve seen in Portland in a long time. It’s 12 degrees at my house in Lake Oswego, and the wind chill is around 0. It was supposed to snow today but it’s been mostly ice pellets, which is at least better than freezing rain.

PDX has held its own most of the day but it looks like cancellations are starting to happen.

About 80,000 people are without power in the metro area. Lots of trees down from the wind.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:27 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Sea to Mke 302 cancelled yesterday. Not sure if weather or max-9 issue.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
PDX is known for freezing rain. Pictures of aircraft frozen to the ground in the past. Any departure is during freezing weather is a crap shoot.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:31 pm

NWS calling for freezing rain Wednesday.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:21 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JayJ
PDX is known for freezing rain. Pictures of aircraft frozen to the ground in the past. Any departure is during freezing weather is a crap shoot.
Yep, flew last year on the big ice storm day. All roads were iced over since the ice storm began the night prior.

Planes at PDX were iced over, and luckily, the DL flight from PDX to SEA was still operational but delayed, and I believe maybe the only few flights not cancelled that day.

The biggest issue for flying out of PDX during an ice storm is the drive to get to PDX.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Reportedly AS ran out of de-icer on Sunday at RDM.

https://centraloregondaily.com/alask...celed-flights/

Central Oregon did see a pretty bad snow storm with a ton of snow this past weekend, but it also was the first meaningful snow of the season, so somewhat hard to believe they already ran out of de-iced fluid… unless they truck it in “just in time” and don’t store supplies at the airport?!
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:18 am

Schools and offices closing in Portland today for ice storm that will start this afternoon and run through 8:00am Wednesday. NWS forecasting .2 to .4 inches of ice in twelve hour period.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yep... the freezing rain has started....it probably isn't looking good for PDX departures tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:54 pm

Windows glazed over here in NE.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:07 am
formerly wchinchen

My AA PDX to PHX took 2 hours to unsuccessfully de-ice….used up 500 gallons apparently. Suppose to be around 5:15 AM departure, and still has not left as of 8am.

Thankfully they allowed passengers to deplane.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
My AA PDX to PHX took 2 hours to unsuccessfully de-ice….used up 500 gallons apparently. Suppose to be around 5:15 AM departure, and still has not left as of 8am.

Thankfully they allowed passengers to deplane.
From ExpertFlyer:

“A ground stop is in place for SNOW OR ICE at PDX. The time to continue is 9:00 am PST.”

(I am tracking a flight I should have been on if it hadn’t been for the MAXmess)
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:09 pm
formerly wchinchen

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
From ExpertFlyer:

“A ground stop is in place for SNOW OR ICE at PDX. The time to continue is 9:00 am PST.”

(I am tracking a flight I should have been on if it hadn’t been for the MAXmess)
Disaster today for sure.

Originally AA PDX-PHL-HNL, after 2 hours of deicing and failed, took the opportunity to deplane as I wouldn't make my connection.

Booked DL PDX-SEA-HNL....PDX-SEA cancelled.

Booked AS PDX-LAS, then HA LAS-HNL. AS cancelled.

One last chance to get to HNL, Southwest PDX-LAS, then LAS-HNL on redeye.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the flight that should have taken me to balmy Mexico from PDX was canceled, after a 4 hr delay. Glad I canceled yesterday and didn't make the trip at the crack of dawn to the airport and then to PDX, only to get stranded there.

Now I am hoping for some "Please come back to fly our MAXes" BOGOs later this winter/spring
HaleiwaFlyer and pcoll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.