Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 Schedule Changes, Cancelations and Equipment Swaps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:32 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K

Hi, I noticed my Flt 406, SEA/IAD on Saturday, January 13th is no longer available for sale. Does this mean it is cancelled and I haven't been notified? It still shows in My trips. I have been upgraded to First. I see that Flt 4 SEA/DCA is available for sale. Will Alaska protect me as a 100K and offer to switch me over to the SEA/DCA flight? This is were being a 100K should matter. Also, the SEA/BWI flight is also missing for sale.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: Yes
In normal circumstances, I would venture it is simply sold out as when flights are 100% full they no longer appear in the search results.

Given the recent.. IRROPS, it is possible that it will eventually be cancelled. AS is still suffering from a temporarily reduced fleet size and AS seems to be cancelling flights close-in to departure time. For AS406 on 2024/01/13, it is currently assigned a -900ER on AS’ flight status page and that aircraft is operational. Also, I see AS has cancelled this specific flight three times since the weekend.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 10, 2024 at 8:45 am
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:25 am

Flight still list as scheduled but on a MAX 9.

There is a waiver in place until the 13th so there shouldn't be a fee to switch to DCA.

UA and AA have options. UA might switch to a 737-900ER if they have one to spare.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
My flight for Thursday zero'd out last night. Moved to be safe, watching to see what happens to the original flight (was on a 739). Back in 2021 snow storms the zero then cancel pattern was pretty consistent.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Being 100k didn’t seem to make a difference for me. After seeing two of my flights no longer available, I hit refresh and they were available, Given nobody at Alaska ever contacted me, I called in and changed three flights away from -9s through end of next week as I have no faith things will be back to normal until at least then. You can do that through the 20th per the website if you don’t want to fly on a -9, but I had to explain that to the otherwise very helpful CSA.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:50 am

My personal data point from this week is that zeroing out a flight is an indication it will likely be cancelled, but not a guarantee. I had a flight on a 737-900ER; they zero'd out inventory the day before the flight so I began to worry, but a few hours later they started selling inventory again. Ultimately the flight was not cancelled and departed on schedule.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If it's showing up as a MAX and it's within the waiver time period, I would probably try to rebook it. Otherwise, if you can afford it (and the trip is critical), get a refundable alternate flight as a backup plan. If the original departure doesn't cancel, refund the backup ticket. Anyone with a flight on a MAX 9 through the rest of the month at least should probably be thinking about alternative options.
kevincrumbs and mauve like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
AS 354 SAN-FLL on 1/13 used to be max9 for the past few days, and it is shown as sold out for a few days now. This morning, it was updated to the 739ER, but it still shows sold out. Based on the seat map, I am sure it is not sold out because 1/3 of the plane is empty.

On the return AS 355 FLL-SAN on 1/13, it was updated to 739 as well, just minutes ago, while I was writing the original post.

If I remember correctly, AS at FLL has the C9 gate only, and usually, it is the same aircraft going back to the west coast origin with roughly a little over an hour to spare at FLL.

Beyond 1/13, all FLL flights still show max9, regardless of whether it is from SAN/LAX/PDX/SEA. A waiver won't help me in this case for now.

I noted the aircraft details in the app is not consistent with the flight status page hack (where you manually update the URL of the flight status page).
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
I had a flight on a 737-900ER; they zero'd out inventory the day before the flight so I began to worry, but a few hours later they started selling inventory again. Ultimately the flight was not cancelled….
Ditto for this morning’s FLL-SEA. Shortly after the a/c switched from a Max to non-Max the flight was zeroed out then reopened later. 14 ended up clearing from the waitlist.

Originally Posted by simonsuo
I noted the aircraft details in the app is not consistent with the flight status page hack (where you manually update the URL of the flight status page).
Same here, the app actually didn’t update aircraft type on the above flight until after landing - though I think app refreshing in general is a little wonky.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Resplendent
If it's showing up as a MAX and it's within the waiver time period, I would probably try to rebook it. Otherwise, if you can afford it (and the trip is critical), get a refundable alternate flight as a backup plan. If the original departure doesn't cancel, refund the backup ticket. Anyone with a flight on a MAX 9 through the rest of the month at least should probably be thinking about alternative options.
I would suspect they will be moving aircraft around to cover flights. The fact it is a MAX 9 is probably irrelevant to if it will fly or not. They will prioritize on the options for rebooking on each flight when deciding what flights will be canceled.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Datapoint: My Pdx-Dfw that zeroed out on a 739 had two equipment swaps in last 48 hours and went back to original equipment. Set to depart but now on a MX delay.

As others have noted it seems the schedules are just a mess and they are being conservative on ticketing.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by simonsuo
AS 354 SAN-FLL on 1/13 used to be max9 for the past few days, and it is shown as sold out for a few days now. This morning, it was updated to the 739ER, but it still shows sold out. Based on the seat map, I am sure it is not sold out because 1/3 of the plane is empty.

On the return AS 355 FLL-SAN on 1/13, it was updated to 739 as well, just minutes ago, while I was writing the original post.

If I remember correctly, AS at FLL has the C9 gate only, and usually, it is the same aircraft going back to the west coast origin with roughly a little over an hour to spare at FLL.

Beyond 1/13, all FLL flights still show max9, regardless of whether it is from SAN/LAX/PDX/SEA. A waiver won't help me in this case for now.

They use two gates at FLL and the flights don’t all turn back to the origin. LAXFLL lands after FLLLAX leaves. I was on LAXFLL Saturday which was zeroed out so to be safe I had AS move me to LAXMIA on AA. I way prefer MIA so for me it was a no brainer.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
WE have boi-sea-koa booked for Tuesday, 1/16. SEA-KOA says it's on a 737-9 Max (Etops). Is this the exact model that was taken out of service? If so, suggestions for action. The app says it's still scheduled to fly. It's AS843.
TIA
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
WE have boi-sea-koa booked for Tuesday, 1/16. SEA-KOA says it's on a 737-9 Max (Etops). Is this the exact model that was taken out of service? If so, suggestions for action. The app says it's still scheduled to fly. It's AS843.
TIA
That is the model that is out of service.
The app may not be correct.
It might already be assigned different equipment, or it might get canceled.
Can you swing a backup plan on points or a refundable fare?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by twitch76
That is the model that is out of service.
The app may not be correct.
It might already be assigned different equipment, or it might get canceled.
Can you swing a backup plan on points or a refundable fare?
Flightaware has it (AS843) listed as "B739" and shows scheduled. They list a different flt as "B39M" & "cancelled". Maybe I'll be ok as the the flt scheduled for today shows on time dep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.