Wiki Posts
Search

MAX 9 Cancelations - What to Ask for?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold100K
MAX 9 Cancelations - What to Ask for?

Family would have been stuck in NJ until at least Monday if we waited for AS flights. Have booked them on EWR-SEA tomorrow and AS changed existing reservation EWR-SEA-ANC reservation to just SEA-ANC for tomorrow afternoon.

Are we entitled to anything besides some amount of $$ back for EWR-SEA? How do they figure the value of those legs? Even if not entitled to anything is there anything we should ask for? Family is 100K, 2 MVPG, and one nada.

thanks for the help!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Beyond the (generous) systemwide flexible travel policy, it's not clear to me what other compensation you'd be entitled to, any more than any other cancelled flight.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Alaska refused to ticket you on another airline to Seattle given the circumstances?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
HUCA until you get a reroute on an other airline. This morning I was trying to get a BOS-SFO rerouted even though it hadn't been cancelled yet, and a helpful chat agent was very willing to reroute on AA/UA/B6 -- that being said the limited inventory due to JPM healthcare conference and northeast weather meant that alternative options didn't work better for me than the BOS-PDX(overnight)-SJC I had booked as a backup that I'm currently sitting on.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 9:24 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
As far as what you are entitled to, I'd hope it would be the value of flights missed or the cost of flights a close as practical to your original flights.
Plus the moon and stars because of your status.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:20 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I would ask for a free fruit and cheese plate if sitting in Row 26.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by danielflyer
I would ask for a free fruit and cheese plate if sitting in Row 26.
T-Mobile could also supply extra cell phones.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Thanks to the US Congress that’s owned by the airline industry, you are entitled to nothing and you will like it! There is no reason why we can’t have some sort of compensation scheme like EU261 in the US.
jmw, pxm and salut0 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by rjburns
Thanks to the US Congress that’s owned by the airline industry, you are entitled to nothing and you will like it! There is no reason why we can’t have some sort of compensation scheme like EU261 in the US.
Would EU 261 require an airline to pay compensation to passengers when a flight is cancelled due to compliance with a government order?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Just saw that the flexible travel policy has been extended another day for flights on 1/9. Anyone with a booking for this next week should probably keep a close eye on that.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Would Alaska be able to switch my ticket over to AA? I'm scheduled to fly a 900max later this week from FLL and Alaska has pretty slim alternative options from here....but plenty of AA options. Still too early to call.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Would Alaska be able to switch my ticket over to AA? I'm scheduled to fly a 900max later this week from FLL and Alaska has pretty slim alternative options from here....but plenty of AA options. Still too early to call.
There was someone in a different thread who got switched to a different carrier. Has your flight actually been cancelled? If so I’d be surprised if you were denied, provided you provided the proposed changes (give them specific flight numbers, don’t rely on AS coming up with it, this is applicable to every delay/ cancellation). If your flight is still scheduled though I suspect it will be more difficult to get changed.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Would EU 261 require an airline to pay compensation to passengers when a flight is cancelled due to compliance with a government order?
My gut feel is no delay/cancellation compensation (but duty of care remains)… it’s not something under control of the airline. And at least one company actually handling EU261 claims for travelers agrees with that. This is about the original MAX grounding:

https://flightpatrol.com/claiming-co...max-grounding/

Can I claim compensation for a Boeing 737 Max flight delay?

The grounding of an entire fleet of aircraft by a government will usually be deemed as an “extraordinary circumstance” which means you would not be eligible for flight delay compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004.
jmw and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Can add one data point -- unsuccessful attempting to switch to OAL as my flight has yet to cancel.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
So far AS travel waiver is until Jan 9th. Meanwhile UA travel waiver for max 9 has been extended to Jan 10th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.