Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Will they do another Fast Track to Elite promo like they did in 2023?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Just curious if anyone in the know has heard anything about Alaska doing another promo like they did in Q1 last year? Flying 20K to maintain my 75K gold from 2022 was a great deal.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How many EQMs did you end up with?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
Just curious if anyone in the know has heard anything about Alaska doing another promo like they did in Q1 last year? Flying 20K to maintain my 75K gold from 2022 was a great deal.
Fingers crossed for a repeat or something similar this year but haven't heard anything yet....
jonnyz1245 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I sure as hell hope not. Things like FastTrack are what are causing devaluations in the programs. "When everyone has status, nobody has status". If you want the status, your butt should be sitting in the seat, and you should be flying as much as is required. No more shortcuts and giveaways.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I am willing to bet that with the large number of Deltoid asylees that came over to Mileage Plan, they don't feel the need to turbo anyone right now.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How many EQMs did you end up with?

A little over 49K for 2023.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
I missed 75k this year due to switching home airports and called to inquire about options. The rep told me I could buy eqm in 10k increments for $1,500. When I balked, she told me they were going to have some sort of program in the new year for members to retain status but that she didn't have any details yet.
frankvb and jonnyz1245 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rune87
I sure as hell hope not. Things like FastTrack are what are causing devaluations in the programs. "When everyone has status, nobody has status". If you want the status, your butt should be sitting in the seat, and you should be flying as much as is required. No more shortcuts and giveaways.

I see what you're saying and you raise valid points but as a MVP Gold or 75K Gold for the last decade plus, I see it as a nice way to say thank you for your loyalty. I still had to fly 20K in 8 weeks or whatever it was and that was on top of the almost 60 in 2022. YMMV. All good! Happy New Year.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I missed 75k this year due to switching home airports and called to inquire about options. The rep told me I could buy eqm in 10k increments for $1,500. When I balked, she told me they were going to have some sort of program in the new year for members to retain status but that she didn't have any details yet.

Thats great news for us! Fingers crossed it's nothing too crazy. 20K BIS miles was doable. Not sure I want to do 40K in a short period. LOL
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: Yes
Perhaps AS could limit repeat usage of fast track offers.

It’s somewhat of a chagrin to organic elites when non-requalifying elites can maintain their status multiple times.

That being said, AS is a publicly traded business so I expect them to decide in the direction of whatever is expected to bring in short term gains.

🤙🏻🍹
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rune87
I sure as hell hope not. Things like FastTrack are what are causing devaluations in the programs.
That was my initial reaction as well, but then I remembered that I took advantage of the Fast Track offer this time last year - I was Gold or 75k for 2022 and dropped to MVP, but then the Fast Track saved me…

Originally Posted by anteater
That being said, AS is a publicly traded business so I expect them to decide in the direction of whatever is expected to bring in short term gains.
… and then, after fast tracking to Gold, I didn’t stop there, but rather continued on to 75K. And even better (for AS, I suppose), in the process I dragged my spouse from no-status up to Gold level (no Fast Track for her). So I think in my case AS got their money’s worth out of the generous fast track.

I would, however, support a restriction to not allow individuals to partake in fast tracks for consecutive years. It should be the occasional “we know life sometimes gets in the way to achieving one’s goals” option, similar to the parental leave offer.
willoL and anteater like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Fast-Track and other promos are fine, but they should top out at 75K.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
So glad to hear this...
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That was my initial reaction as well, but then I remembered that I took advantage of the Fast Track offer this time last year - I was Gold or 75k for 2022 and dropped to MVP, but then the Fast Track saved me…
The statistical impact of "fast track" elites on the entire pool of AS elites is negligible. I've never felt guilty about occasionally using a promo path to status, nor do I worry about them once I'm already elite.

It's such a small fraction of the total pool by any metric...flown seat-miles, upgrades received, whatever. *We* talk about them on Flyertalk, and therefore think they have a bigger statistical impact than they do.

The real culprit: the fundamental economics of all FFPs changed (for the worse, for actual travelers) when the programs pivoted all of their primary focus and incentives to the credit cards. That's what has put billions of award miles into circulation, spreading available award seats far and wide to people who don't actually buy many revenue tickets.
Boraxo, jmw and jonnyz1245 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
If they announce a promo it will likely be after this weekend when New Year's travel has concluded. Agree that offering this 3 years in a row conditions people to expect it. Also agree that it boosts ticket purchases flown in Q1 which is the low season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.