Wiki Posts
Search

“Oversold due to FAA Inspections”

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
“Oversold due to FAA Inspections”

Well, this is a new one on me. I’m sitting at SMF waiting to head up to SEA. The gate agent just came on and said “The FAA has made us pull 20 aircraft out of service for inspections, and because of that, we are oversold by 15 seats. We *will* be denying boarding to many people….” And then made the opening offer at $750.

This is the first time I have heard of blaming the FAA for anything. Does anyone know what that is all about? A quick google sure didn’t turn anything up.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Sure enough; 17 people on the seat assignment waitlist. This is going to be ugly.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Please let us know what the top voucher rate is.....

Id walk up and say 2k in voucher....see what they say
wrp96, Dublin_rfk and mnhusker like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Looks like N302AS, N305AS, N309AS, N315AS, N317AS, and other older 739s have all had flights cancelled or delayed on 12/26 - 12/27.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
2 AS flights were cancelled from SMF....739 and 738....ouch.....
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:40 am

Alaska has 20 cancellations.....i checked the flights on EF and they are mechanical cancellations.....

Still it appears flaming the FAA as if it isnt AS's fault is a little disingenuous....its clearly AS fault for not inspecting or maintaing the aircraft per FAA requirements...no other carrier has the cancelations they do.....so it isnt an industry wide issue......

All people should get vouchers as its AS' fault.....
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Alaska has 20 cancellations.....i checked the flights on EF and they are mechanical cancellations.....

Still it appears flaming the FAA as if it isnt AS's fault is a little disingenuous....its clearly AS fault for not inspecting or maintaing the aircraft per FAA requirements...no other carrier has the cancelations they do.....so it isnt an industry wide issue......

All people should get vouchers as its AS' fault.....
Since we have no idea what is happening that is premature. It may turn out to be true but we have no idea at this point.
JPat and PABE like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Someone posted about this on Reddit earlier: 20 Aircraft Need Inspections : AlaskaAirlines (reddit.com)
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As of this morning there are about 10 737s out of service for "service bulletin", I don't know what the service bulletin says.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Well, this is a new one on me. I’m sitting at SMF waiting to head up to SEA. The gate agent just came on and said “The FAA has made us pull 20 aircraft out of service for inspections, and because of that, we are oversold by 15 seats. We *will* be denying boarding to many people….” And then made the opening offer at $750.

This is the first time I have heard of blaming the FAA for anything. Does anyone know what that is all about? A quick google sure didn’t turn anything up.
Was this mainline or QX/OO?Hope inspections will be complete soon.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Dec 27, 2023 at 11:27 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Well we flew OO. I could have sworn we booked on a AS 73x originally, but I don’t remember and I was still seated with my companion, so who knows.

They got 4 volunteers at the $750 level, it was clear it was going to be a mess, there was a crew deadheading so they got the 4 seats, as I was walking down the jet bridge I could hear the CSA saying “We are full, if you don’t have a seat assignment, you will not be on this flight” so it sounded like they had just moved to involuntary bumps.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
At $750 for a short west coast hop, I would have literally run to the counter to volunteer...
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
A little more info here via KIRO (with a dash of local news flavor):

Alaska Airlines cancels dozens of flights last minute, taking winning chance from local HS team – KIRO 7 News Seattle
RaginPlainsman and jsguyrus like this.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 27, 2023 at 7:48 pm Reason: Fixed link.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
At $750 for a short west coast hop, I would have literally run to the counter to volunteer...
I don't care how long the hop is, I care about how long the wait until a flight I can get on is (unless I'm willing to walk instead, which has happened).
TechMarauder and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- We are from FAA and we are here to help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.