Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unable to purchase seat upgrade on AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

This is my 2nd time flying Alaska (first time being maybe 10 years ago), so I was not aware how terrible AS' IT system is. I booked an AS flight that was sold as a AA codeshare, since I fly AA most of the time. I had intended to buy a seat upgrade for Premium Class. The Alaska Air app shows PC seats available, and lets me pick one and proceed all the way through payment screen. But when I try to make a payment, it fails with some generic error message. I'm also able to pull up the reservation on AS' website, which shows all PC seats as greyed out. I called AS customer service, and they basically told me "as a for-profit business, we would love to take your money, but our IT system sucks. So you can only buy seat upgrades if you booked the flight as an AS flight." I was flabbergasted at how bad AS's IT system is. My question is: is there another way I can purchase a seat upgrade? Can I do it at the airport at AS' counter? Or some ther way? I could cancel, but since it's a non-refundable flight, I would only get AA credits, right?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hand_solo
This is my 2nd time flying Alaska (first time being maybe 10 years ago), so I was not aware how terrible AS' IT system is. I booked an AS flight that was sold as a AA codeshare, since I fly AA most of the time. I had intended to buy a seat upgrade for Premium Class. The Alaska Air app shows PC seats available, and lets me pick one and proceed all the way through payment screen. But when I try to make a payment, it fails with some generic error message. I'm also able to pull up the reservation on AS' website, which shows all PC seats as greyed out. I called AS customer service, and they basically told me "as a for-profit business, we would love to take your money, but our IT system sucks. So you can only buy seat upgrades if you booked the flight as an AS flight." I was flabbergasted at how bad AS's IT system is. My question is: is there another way I can purchase a seat upgrade? Can I do it at the airport at AS' counter? Or some ther way? I could cancel, but since it's a non-refundable flight, I would only get AA credits, right?
These sorts of issues are common with codeshares. It's not unique to AS. I would recommend avoiding codeshares wherever possible (on any airline). Even if "standard" issues like this don't show up, you are likely to get bounced back and forth between the marketing and operating carriers if anything goes wrong.

Since you fly AA a lot, you should know that a codeshare on AA metal is not eligible for complimentary elite upgrades due to AA status (you will be able to pick MCE seats if your AA status allows for it but you will not be on the upgrade list). You should also know that if you book JL flights as AA codeshares (in any cabin) you can't do any seat selection at all, regardless of status.

Oh, and if you book a B6 codeshare with B6, you can't manage your reservation online. If the flight is not B6 metal you have to call in or chat (and likely wait hours). I ran into this once (as well as the upgrade issue I mentioned above) before the feds killed the AA-B6 partnership.

I'm sure that there are many, many more examples of issues like this across several airlines. I view codeshares in a similar way to discount OTAs. If you are not getting an extremely good deal, it's not worth the hassle.

Assuming that the price hasn't gone up too much, my advice is to cancel your flight for AA credit and rebook it as an AS marketed flight.
hand_solo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K
The opposite is also true when booking AA codeshare through AS.
hand_solo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Last month I booked AS SFO-BOS as an AA codeshare to use some remaining AA credits I had, but I didn't have any issues selecting PC seats on account of my AS status.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Last month I booked AS SFO-BOS as an AA codeshare to use some remaining AA credits I had, but I didn't have any issues selecting PC seats on account of my AS status.
Interesting, I don't have status (I mostly travel for leisure). Seems like only paid upgrades doesn't work via codeshare then.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hand_solo
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
These sorts of issues are common with codeshares. It's not unique to AS. I would recommend avoiding codeshares wherever possible (on any airline). Even if "standard" issues like this don't show up, you are likely to get bounced back and forth between the marketing and operating carriers if anything goes wrong.
Couldn't bid for an upgrade on a VS flight on an AF miles ticket. Works beautifully on VS miles or cash tickets though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Couldn't bid for an upgrade on a VS flight on an AF miles ticket. Works beautifully on VS miles or cash tickets though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would expect that anything that requires modification or reissue of the ticket won't work. Complementary seat selection should usually be fine (but, again, doesn't work on JL, so not always). But if they have to collect a fee, that fee is going to get attached to the ticket (I'm not sure if it goes in the fees section of the existing ticket or if they create another document with the fees collected and somehow link them) but it doesn't surprise me that many airlines can't handle this if it's not a ticket marketed by them on their own ticket stock.

I'm sure it works on some airlines but it doesn't work on a lot of them. In general it's just asking for problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.