Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Has AS officially dropped SFO & LAX hubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP75K

The investor presentation from yesterday's HA acquisition announcement mentioned Alaska's three hubs (SEA, PDX, ANC). Noticeably absent were SFO & LAX. Had this been announced previously or was this a quiet drop of SFO & LAX?

For comparison, the 2022 investor presentation included SFO and LAX as official hubs.

I know they've been dropping flights from both cities but I hadn't heard this announced?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, they both have lounges...
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 2daysin
The investor presentation from yesterday's HA acquisition announcement mentioned Alaska's three hubs (SEA, PDX, ANC). Noticeably absent were SFO & LAX. Had this been announced previously or was this a quiet drop of SFO & LAX?
This presentation?

https://localcareglobalreach.com/wp-...esentation.pdf

Which slide are we talking about?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
This presentation?

Which slide are we talking about?
Yes. it’s the “who is Alaska” slide, which is the first page in the appendix of that slide deck.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by 2daysin
Yes. it’s the “who is Alaska” slide, which is the first page in the appendix of that slide deck.
Interesting omission for sure... and also interesting that PDX is included for all the whining on here about lack of service:

mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I'm not aware of this having been previously publicized? Had there been any announcements?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Here's what their investor slides looked like as of 2022.

Boraxo, skybear, aquanine and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Maybe they want to appear smaller to regulators that need to approve this deal.
dw, sdix, ntamayo and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: Costco Club
Wonder if it's intentional as to not create any hurdles/concession requests re: network overlap to get the acquisition through.
dw and sdix like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Maybe I am wrong but other than having a lounge I really never considered SFO a "hub". They have seemed to shift some of OAK business to SFO. Having said that I am hoping with the HA acquisition that we see more flights from either SFO or OAK into Hawaii. I getting tired of driving down to SJC just to get a direct flight from AS into KOA. What happened with the pre pandemic flights into the islands our of OAK and SFO??!!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Maybe I am wrong but other than having a lounge I really never considered SFO a "hub". They have seemed to shift some of OAK business to SFO. Having said that I am hoping with the HA acquisition that we see more flights from either SFO or OAK into Hawaii. I getting tired of driving down to SJC just to get a direct flight from AS into KOA. What happened with the pre pandemic flights into the islands out of OAK and SFO??!!
AS has steadily degraded sfo since acquiring Virgin. It’s a shame since the frequency and routes used to be great.
Boraxo, sfozrhfco, Gar1P and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Maybe STS will become a hub , like they even have space for it.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nomad420
Maybe I am wrong but other than having a lounge I really never considered SFO a "hub". They have seemed to shift some of OAK business to SFO. Having said that I am hoping with the HA acquisition that we see more flights from either SFO or OAK into Hawaii. I getting tired of driving down to SJC just to get a direct flight from AS into KOA. What happened with the pre pandemic flights into the islands our of OAK and SFO??!!
OAK has hardly any AS service remaining - maybe a total of 5 to 6 flights on any given day, SEA and PDX only. Today, 2 to PDX (E75), 3 to SEA (1 E75, 2 737s). And the HI service ex-SFO has been all over the place, with no schedule consistency - sometimes you arrive at 1030am, sometimes after 3pm.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
OAK has hardly any AS service remaining - maybe a total of 5 to 6 flights on any given day, SEA and PDX only. Today, 2 to PDX (E75), 3 to SEA (1 E75, 2 737s). And the HI service ex-SFO has been all over the place, with no schedule consistency - sometimes you arrive at 1030am, sometimes after 3pm.
The OAK situation is very sad, it was once my go to AS Bay Area airport for a variety of reasons. I have to believe with the HA acquisition this will change at both OAK and SFO. Hey, maybe even Santa Rosa will see some more routes. I guess one can dream.....
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The SFO-HNL route is pretty full and prices show it (more than SJC for sure) but their schedule inconsistency baffles me. Its not like they have connecting traffic there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.