Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 5khours
A few thoughts.
1. Given that cash fares have gone up a lot, the relative cost in miles has not really gone up much.
That is already outdated. The latest inflation report showed that airfares are down 13.2% from October 2022 to October 2023.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
It doesn’t matter what cash prices have done, it’s how Mileage Plan stacks up against other programs. Mileage plan used to have many sweet spots but not almost never is the cheapest option.

For example, I just booked a J award on AF for 100k miles rt to europe. That same redemption is now 170k AS miles. A 70% premium with way higher fees. Add in that AF FB miles are transferable from many cc programs, often with a bonus. And include the same stopover AS offers. Not to mention AF J being a better product than BA J…

LAX-DOH on qr j is now cheaper using b6 miles than as miles. If I told you that would be the state of Alaska a couple years ago you wouldn’t have believed me.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's is my regular usage for AS miles:
  • SFO/LAX - TYO in J: 60k -> 75k (+25%). Available on AA for 60k.
  • SFO/LAX - TYO in F: 70k -> 110k (+57%). Available on AA for 80k.
  • SFO/LAX - BKK w/ TYO stopover in J: 65k -> 85k (+30%). Available on AA as 2 awards for 90k (70k as 1 award w/ no stopover)
  • SFO/LAX - BKK w/ TYO stopover in F: 75k -> 130k (+73%). Available on AA as 2 awards for 110k (also 110k as 1 award w/ no stopover) Would be 160k on AS as 2 awards.

I've also booked KE J; 105k RT to ICN or 120k RT to southeast Asia; those are now going to be 150k (+42%) and and 170k (+41%).

And finally to get to Europe; LAX-HEL-FCO (7003 miles; ouch) 70k -> 85k (+21%). This could be reduced to 75k by changing the origin or destination slightly to get it under 7k miles. Available for 57.5k on AA with no stopover, or 80k as 2 awards.

So basically, for my travel patterns, this devalues AS miles pretty significantly. I'm going to estimate it at about 35% overall.

An AA mile is now clearly far more valuable to me than an AS mile -- it's no longer even close. Even stopovers don't save AS here, because I can just book 2 AA awards for about the same price or less.

I'm probably going to try to burn off the rest of my AS miles (by booking future trips) before this takes effect. I have about 320k left so it should be doable. After that, my switch to AA will be complete.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Damn. Sad to see, but predictable. More aligned with AA now, and AA has way easier ways to get miles...
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
For example, I just booked a J award on AF for 100k miles rt to europe.
That's a nice sweet spot; I'll need to keep an eye out for those. As you say flying blue miles are easily transferable from CCs.

LAX-DOH on qr j is now cheaper using b6 miles than as miles. If I told you that would be the state of Alaska a couple years ago you wouldn’t have believed me.
Pretty much everything is cheaper using AA miles than AS miles now. I really don't see what AS has going for it as an airline any more. Very restricted network and miles that are now, maybe, worth about the same as UA miles.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
  • SFO/LAX - BKK w/ TYO stopover in J: 65k -> 85k (+30%). Available on AA as 2 awards for 90k (70k as 1 award w/ no stopover)
  • SFO/LAX - BKK w/ TYO stopover in F: 75k -> 130k (+73%). Available on AA as 2 awards for 110k (also 110k as 1 award w/ no stopover) Would be 160k on AS as 2 awards.

I've also booked KE J; 105k RT to ICN or 120k RT to southeast Asia; those are now going to be 150k (+42%) and and 170k (+41%).

And finally to get to Europe; LAX-HEL-FCO (7003 miles; ouch) 70k -> 85k (+21%). This could be reduced to 75k by changing the origin or destination slightly to get it under 7k miles. Available for 57.5k on AA with no stopover, or 80k as 2 awards.

So basically, for my travel patterns, this devalues AS miles pretty significantly. I'm going to estimate it at about 35% overall.

An AA mile is now clearly far more valuable to me than an AS mile -- it's no longer even close. Even stopovers don't save AS here, because I can just book 2 AA awards for about the same price or less.

I'm probably going to try to burn off the rest of my AS miles (by booking future trips) before this takes effect. I have about 320k left so it should be doable. After that, my switch to AA will be complete.
At least until the AA devalue comes… but yes AA is pretty much better for all routes from the US unless you’re trying to book a stopover it brings it in line. My most common route is LAX-HKG and asia miles, after their recent devaluation, is cheaper than AS in both J and F. Not the mention a lot easier to earn (many cc transfer partners) and way better availability… so it’s going from a sweet spot to worse than either AA or CX.
lensovet and aquanine like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least until the AA devalue comes… but yes AA is pretty much better for all routes from the US unless you’re trying to book a stopover it brings it in line. My most common route is LAX-HKG and asia miles, after their recent devaluation, is cheaper than AS in both J and F. Not the mention a lot easier to earn (many cc transfer partners) and way better availability… so it’s going from a sweet spot to worse than either AA or CX.
It's not only flights to/from the US. Flights between Asia 1 and Asia 2 are 30k AA miles in J. 1500-3000 mile flights (which will get you from East Asia to Southest Asia... say, TYO-BKK) are 50k AS miles. That's crazy (and I think this is a common route for award redemptions; it's not just some crazy corner case)
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It's not only flights to/from the US. Flights between Asia 1 and Asia 2 are 30k AA miles in J. 1500-3000 mile flights (which will get you from East Asia to Southest Asia... say, TYO-BKK) are 50k AS miles. That's crazy (and I think this is a common route for award redemptions; it's not just some crazy corner case)
I cannot find the article now, but I seem to recall that most award redemptions are for domestic US travel in coach. Using miles for international business is literally an edge case.
BearX220 and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:24 pm

Agree that AA mile redemptions are often lower, but its so easy to rack up AS miles with BA premium cabin and 100k bonuses.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I cannot find the article now, but I seem to recall that most award redemptions are for domestic US travel in coach. Using miles for international business is literally an edge case.
Except these "edge cases" are the only reason why people are interested in AS miles...
conde and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I’m actually quite happy about this. Should open more availability for the rest of us!
In Oneworld AS are only part of the demand and part of the availability. With AS being short haul - regional my guess is AS freq flyers mainly want long awards. Business class preferred. Not that many looking for awards on AS.
Originally Posted by 5khours
A few thoughts.
1. Given that cash fares have gone up a lot, the relative cost in miles has not really gone up much.
2. For me the ability to book premium fares easily (no premium for one way, no cancellation fees, constant fare, quick to book) was and is a big advantage of using AS miles. If there is limited availability, this advantage goes away.) I would much rather pay more and get seats, then pay less for something that's not available.
3. Still don't know how these changes fit in with the reduced availability of award space on partner airlines.
4. Don't know about other airlines, but I'd say at least 70% of all pax on JAL F were flying on award tickets. I wonder how they are going to fill the seats now if they don't open up more award space.
As many frequent flyer programs are morphing to frequent spender programs ff miles/points/avios are being printed in enormous quantities. Massive demand for award seats. Reduced award availability:- maybe or maybe not. Increased demand is not matched to supply .With no to little air travel in 2020-2021 (CV19) is still a large pent up demand. I had AU-USA-AU business class award (QF points) in 2020 but yet to do that trip.

<snip>
As for other ffp's ff miles/avios/points are not equal to earn or to burn(plus cash surcharges), even with many credit cards transferring at the same rate. Earn to burn is what matters if award trips are the objective of a ffp
No doubt others of the bloggers will do more comparisons AS old - AS new - others ffp

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 15, 2023 at 12:42 pm
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is already outdated. The latest inflation report showed that airfares are down 13.2% from October 2022 to October 2023.
I don't think we're talking about a year ago. We're talking pre-Covid.
Seattlenerd and dc333 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Agree that AA mile redemptions are often lower, but its so easy to rack up AS miles with BA premium cabin and 100k bonuses.
How many 100k's fly BA paid J/F? This is applicable to a very small minority of AS mile earners, although I'm included in that subset. Based on the prices AS will be charging, they need a CC transfer partner.
bmvaughn and QT31415 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Except these "edge cases" are the only reason why people are interested in AS miles...
Perhaps FTers, but not the average customer
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Also, I think one thing people are overlooking is that AS miles are about the only ones that you can buy in unlimited quantities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.