Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Changes Award Charts: Distance- and Zone-Based from March 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
<snip>Looks to me like it definitely stays.
There was never any doubt...

Regards
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
…the stop-over is now limited to 14 days. I think this is a new restriction, likely to eliminate people using the stop over to add a leg for another journey months later.
This is a major devaluation in my view and basically kills my desire to earn miles on Alaska. The ability to do a very long stopover was THE sweet spot in the AS program - now gone.
yuel, eltoddo22, anteater and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I took a second, closer look at the TERMS. Here's where they cover YQ, "The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary, and can start at $100 for international itineraries with select partners." Looks to me like it definitely stays.
That “can start at $100” seems weird. Today there are certainly partners where some awards are are much less than $100 in taxes, fees and surcharges for international itineraries.

Where does the $100 come from?
lensovet likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That “can start at $100” seems weird. Today there are certainly partners where some awards are are much less than $100 in taxes, fees and surcharges for international itineraries.

Where does the $100 come from?
Interesting enough, it is worded the exact same way in the TERMS for the current award chart. I think the key term here is "can start", and not "will start".
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
I will forever miss those extended stopovers which allow me to combine two trips for the price of one..
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
This is a major devaluation in my view and basically kills my desire to earn miles on Alaska. The ability to do a very long stopover was THE sweet spot in the AS program - now gone.
I’m actually quite happy about this. Should open more availability for the rest of us!
ACBLtd and FenwayTim like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
US-Europe starting at 110k is definitely a bummer, for anyone who has previously managed to snag in the 65k range... ugh
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
I’m actually quite happy about this. Should open more availability for the rest of us!
That’s not how any of this works
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
US-Europe starting at 110k is definitely a bummer, for anyone who has previously managed to snag in the 65k range... ugh
110k for what?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
110k for what?
business class. Currently, business class starting at 57,500. Almost double miles in the change.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
The 14 day restriction on stopovers is a big devaluation. With the scarcity of award availability sometimes there was no other option but to have a longer stopover. The CX awards to Oceania/TLV/JNB will also be but a sweet memory.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Not really much of a change. Its actually a drop for biz.. SEA-LHR is 4800miles. Currently 65k. Under the new charts its now 55k. FC goes up from 75k to 82.5K. So some devaluation, but minor.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
business class. Currently, business class starting at 57,500. Almost double miles in the change.
57500 on BA is nice but useless for me due to fees. Can get business class deals on Ba for 2-3k on fairly regularly basis.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Oops, I see I didn't read the chart carefully enough. Thanks rune87 ... was forgetting about the *actual* distance involved
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
A few thoughts.
1. Given that cash fares have gone up a lot, the relative cost in miles has not really gone up much.
2. For me the ability to book premium fares easily (no premium for one way, no cancellation fees, constant fare, quick to book) was and is a big advantage of using AS miles. If there is limited availability, this advantage goes away.) I would much rather pay more and get seats, then pay less for something that's not available.
3. Still don't know how these changes fit in with the reduced availability of award space on partner airlines.
4. Don't know about other airlines, but I'd say at least 70% of all pax on JAL F were flying on award tickets. I wonder how they are going to fill the seats now if they don't open up more award space.
ACBLtd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.