Wiki Posts
Search

Jones Soda Once Offered Inflight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Jones Soda Once Offered Inflight?

I was just watching an episode of Modern Marvels - Soda Pop and they highlighted Jones Soda. For some reason I thought they were a Canadian company, not Seattle based. I seem to remember getting Jones Soda on Alaska- anyone remember why/when they got the boot??

Seems like partnering (again) with Jones would fit in with the "local" West Coast drive as of late.

Alaska offers Kona Brewing and a variety of Juneau based Alaskan Brewing beer- so why not let us have a choice of Root Beer or Strawberry-Lime ?!?

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Oct 11, 2023 at 6:18 am
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I was just watching an episode of Modern Marvels - Soda Pop and they highlighted Jones Soda. For some reason I thought they were a Canadian company, not Seattle based. I seem to remember getting Jones Soda on Alaska- anyone remember why/when they got the boot??

Seems like partnering (again) with Jones would fit in with the "local" West Coast drive as of late.

Alaska offers Kona Brewing and a variety of Juneau based Alaskan Brewing beer- so why not let us have a choice of Root Beer or Strawberry-Lime ?!?
They got the boot early-00s. People wanted coke and Diet Coke not cotton Candy soda
williwaw, Phrozen and VibeGuy like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
What StevenSeagalFan said. I would be more impressed if they carried Talking Rain which is also a local brand.
sltlyamusd and toastygoodness like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I was a teen when Alaska served Jones Soda. It was awful. Thankfully it did not last too long. I remember when AS switched back to Coke products, one FA was particularly offended by the decision and told me “customers just didn’t understand it”. I understood perfectly well that it tasted awful. Now that I’m an adult and don’t drink soda, I wouldn’t be as affected if they tried to bring it back.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:40 am

I thought Jones Cream Soda was pretty good. I remember ordering it in flight back in the day (2007-8 ish).

Alaska also used to serve Talking Rain inflight back in the 90s. I’d like to see it back.
beckoa likes this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Oct 11, 2023 at 2:00 pm Reason: Incorrect product name
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Jones in 2008:
AS 'Cans' Coke, Moves to Jones Soda

Jones out 2010:
Coca-Cola is coming back
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Jones was nice to mix it up a bit.

Its entered the inflight beverage graveyard with the likes of Red Bull and Johnny Love Aloha Vodka.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I miss the Sugar Free Cream Soda ... with Vodka.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Their AS deal was also during the time they bought the pouring rights to the Seahawks stadium. That contract was for five years but Jones pulled out after just three. Jones was burning through CEOs during that time as much as they were burning cash. Their lack of national distribution cost them greatly. I'd see Jones inside a Big Lots sooner than I'd see it in a supermarket back then.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Tho, I am glad I experienced Jones Soda, I know, I'm glad, AS is back to Coke. Jones cola, to me, was too medicine-y. I'm betting, AS is also better off, financially, with Cocacola brands. Not sure how Pepsi would do, but I always prefer coke over pepsi. I believe AA previously had both.

Jiburi
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jiburi
Not sure how Pepsi would do, but I always prefer coke over pepsi. I believe AA previously had both.
AA did cater both Coca-Cola and Pepsi products for a few years. PepsiCo (including Dallas-based FritoLay) was (is?) one of AA's largest US accounts. PepsiCo employees did not like having to choose Coke products when flying AA. My understanding was that as a part of an account renewal negotiation, AA agreed to add Pepsi products. This added to catering costs and led to full flights often running out of Coke. While PepsiCo employees drank Pepsi products, few others did. AA finally faced up to the economic reality and returned to serving Coke products (and Dr Pepper).
Arsene Wenger and beckoa like this.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 19, 2023 at 1:48 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Having diet dr pepper almost makes flying AA tolerable

Although I have had this as a pdb on AA...hahaha!
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
*drool* would be nice to have Dr Pepper on Alaska.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Having diet dr pepper almost makes flying AA tolerable

Although I have had this as a pdb on AA...hahaha!
*drool* would be nice to have Dr Pepper on Alaska.
Both of you have defective taste buds.
sltlyamusd and UAPremierExec like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Ever try the Jones Soda Carbonated Candy? Kinda reminded me of my childhood days with the 1960s Fizzie candy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.