Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Splitting payment between wallet credit and credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:00 am
Original Poster

If the fare is 500 and I have 1000 in my wallet

Is there a way to split payment say 300 from wallet and charge the remaining 200 to a credit card?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It seems to be designed to use as much as possible from the wallet, with no override.

In your case, if you want to use $300 from the wallet, you could first book a $700 ticket with wallet credits then your actual credit with $300 wallet credit (+$200 from your credit card) and then you could cancel the $700 ticket.
flytoeat, wahoyaho, econ and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Oh, that's smart. Thanks. Wish they'd just make it possible instead of having to jump through hoops.
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wahoyaho
Oh, that's smart. Thanks. Wish they'd just make it possible instead of having to jump through hoops.
I can see this for edge cases, but 98% of the time I would think using wallet credit first is the customer-friendly approach. I’m sure AS is more than happy to have you lock more cash away with them by putting new money from a credit card in instead of using up the wallet funds first.

curious: why would you want to use a credit card when you have wallet funds available? To meet a credit card spend minimum?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ashill
curious: why would you want to use a credit card when you have wallet funds available? To meet a credit card spend minimum?
I am not the OP, but perhaps to be able to use credit card travel insurance (e.g., Chase CSR)?
ashill and pcoll like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by wahoyaho
If the fare is 500 and I have 1000 in my wallet

Is there a way to split payment say 300 from wallet and charge the remaining 200 to a credit card?
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
In your case, if you want to use $300 from the wallet, you could first book a $700 ticket with wallet credits then your actual credit with $300 wallet credit (+$200 from your credit card) and then you could cancel the $700 ticket.
The FT version of the 4 gallon using a 3 & 5 gallon jug problem?
notquiteaff and wahoyaho like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I am not the OP, but perhaps to be able to use credit card travel insurance (e.g., Chase CSR)?
Yes, that's exactly it
notquiteaff and Kathy_marie like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:30 pm

My partner, who has an Alaska CC in their name that I am primary owner, was flying after BOA/AS extended free checked bag to not just primary card holder reservations .

Flying on miles but because I used wallet for the small cash amount $11.21 (or whatever) Alaska wouldn't allow free checked bag. Paid for next reward fees and no issue with checking bag.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
My partner, who has an Alaska CC in their name that I am primary owner, was flying after BOA/AS extended free checked bag to not just primary card holder reservations .

Flying on miles but because I used wallet for the small cash amount $11.21 (or whatever) Alaska wouldn't allow free checked bag. Paid for next reward fees and no issue with checking bag.

Interesting. That seems to be a data point for this discussion here that a ticket fully paid with wallet credit (and miles in your case) doesn’t give the card holder the free bag benefit.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35635994-post882.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.