Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Time for AS to start an east coast hub in ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Never in recent history has there been a more prime, opportune time to start an east coast hub, Alaska.

ATL is ready and waiting.
ryandc99 and fotographer like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
AS has avoided bankruptcy for a billion years, and this would be a one way ticket to liquidation.
jamiel, moondog, mbluecpa and 22 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
AS has avoided bankruptcy for a billion years, and this would be a one way ticket to liquidation.
There is that.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They survived trying to compete with UA in SFO...
EJRofChicago likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Never in recent history has there been a more prime, opportune time to start an east coast hub, Alaska.

ATL is ready and waiting.
because they offer such a superior product to delta????
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by zrs70
because they offer such a superior product to delta????
Over the last 7 days I have done multiple flights on AS (row 17) DL (F and Comfort +) and AA (Main Cabin Extra). In terms of onboard experience, DL is head and shoulders above the competition, it’s not even close. I rank AS slightly above AA, but it could just be the hometown bias.

Routes were: ANC-SEA-SJC (AS); SJC-DFW-BDL (AA), and BDL-MSP-ANC (DL)
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Remember the SLC focus city?

I did like the LAS-SLC QX hop
be_rettSEA and TalkingPoint like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Over the last 7 days I have done multiple flights on AS (row 17) DL (F and Comfort +) and AA (Main Cabin Extra). In terms of onboard experience, DL is head and shoulders above the competition, it’s not even close.
I can believe that exit row on AS is worse than DL F and Comfort+, certainly for an MVP. I haven't flown Delta in ages (and that was in domestic F and Delta One to Europe), what makes Delta Economy so much better than AS, and - for fairer comparison - Delta Comfort + so much better than Alaska PC? Free Wifi? TV screen in seat back?
chrisny2 and jmj9905 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I can believe that exit row on AS is worse than DL F and Comfort+, certainly for an MVP. I haven't flown Delta in ages (and that was in domestic F and Delta One to Europe), what makes Delta Economy so much better than AS, and - for fairer comparison - Delta Comfort + so much better than Alaska PC? Free Wifi? TV screen in seat back?
Free WiFi is definitely one of the primary reasons for my ranking. Seatback entertainment helps, but I find the self-streaming option on AS and AA adequate as well.

The DL Comfort+ flight was the MSP-ANC leg, operated by a brand new A321neo - a fabulous aircraft. The mood lighting melts my stress away. Finally, the service was simply better. The FAs were far more attentive, making multiple official passes for drink orders and snacks, and other more silent passes every half hour or 45 minutes with trays of water, tea, and coffee. If one wanted something, they could simply grab the FAs attention, but since it was getting late the FAs didn't want to disturb those who were sleeping. I just felt that the drink and snack distribution was very well thought out and organized. AS flight attendants seem to be much more reluctant to offer anything beyond what is required in the initial meal and drink service.
notquiteaff and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
AS flight attendants seem to be much more reluctant to offer anything beyond what is required in the initial meal and drink service.
This.

I had a daytime transcon SEA-FLL this summer in premium with just a single cart drink service the entire flight.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by czpdx
This.

I had a daytime transcon SEA-FLL this summer in premium with just a single cart drink service the entire flight.
That seems to be less than what is required for such a long flight (by AS standards), no?
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I definitely have to agree with FA service. DL FAs smoke AS FAs. They actually seem to want to do their job and with pride. AS seem to want to do the bare min and then go have social hour at volumes that all the passengers can hear. And DLs new A321neos are definitely an amazing experience.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
The DL Comfort+ flight was the MSP-ANC leg, operated by a brand new A321neo - a fabulous aircraft. The mood lighting melts my stress away. Finally, the service was simply better. The FAs were far more attentive, making multiple official passes for drink orders and snacks, and other more silent passes every half hour or 45 minutes with trays of water, tea, and coffee. If one wanted something, they could simply grab the FAs attention, but since it was getting late the FAs didn't want to disturb those who were sleeping. I just felt that the drink and snack distribution was very well thought out and organized. AS flight attendants seem to be much more reluctant to offer anything beyond what is required in the initial meal and drink service.
It's funny that you cite the aircraft as the big perk with DL... they are usually known to fly their planes until they're beaten down and dead. Looking at it, their average fleet age is 15 years while AS has an average age of 9-ish years.

That said, I 100% agree with you that DL's in-flight service is significantly better than Alaska's offering post pandemic. It didn't used to be this way.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Respectfully, this might be one of the least plausible suggestions I’ve ever seen this forum make
moondog, uanj, ryandc99 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Come on, no way AS could compete in ATL or any of DL's hub.

The best AS could offer is refurbished RECARO seat and that's not even close to DL A321 neo, not to mention the lie-flat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.