Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA -> PSC Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2023, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

SEA -> PSC Service

Has Alaska just given up on service on the short flights?

in the “old old” days (~2012) they would top off your wine with the left over bottle before landing.

In 2022 they at least bothered to get you a pre departure drink in first class.

in 2023… nothing, not even in first class. What a joke.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Famous first post nominee……
minhaoxue and mediator like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zjaquish
Has Alaska just given up on service on the short flights?

in the “old old” days (~2012) they would top off your wine with the left over bottle before landing.

In 2022 they at least bothered to get you a pre departure drink in first class.

in 2023… nothing, not even in first class. What a joke.
Were you on an E175 or AS mainline (737) because I know AS recently stated mainline service between SEA-PSC but the service in F is different on these shorter regional routes. On AS mainline they have eliminated all service in F post-pandemic but beverages are still served on the Horizon or Skywest operated flights....the SEA-PDX Shuttle flights are where I see this difference the most.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I don’t think it’s they’ve given up as much as they’re struggling, like every other airline, with pilot numbers, less pilots at horizon and less planes than before so they’ve had to make cuts
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Welcome to FT, zjaquish.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I don’t think it’s they’ve given up as much as they’re struggling, like every other airline, with pilot numbers, less pilots at horizon and less planes than before so they’ve had to make cuts
True...The odd thing in this case is that the same exact routes have different service standards depending on aircraft type which generally wouldn't happen on other routes where AS and QX overlap such as PDX-LAX. If they were really trying to cut costs there would be no beverage service on any flight in F between places like SEA-PSC or PDX-SEA.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Its a 40 minute flight gate to gate so about 25-30 min in the air. Looking at today I see two mainline and three E jets on that route. I used to fly that a lot and there has never been anything but water service since the Q200's were phased out.. Sadly the days of full beverage service plus beer and wine on every Horizon flights have long since passed.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by zjaquish

Back when they actually had bottles, compared to the cans of 12% ABV grape juice they have now (I still drink it).
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Flew SEA-PSC-SEA this week. SEA-PSC on 737 in First and PSC-SEA on E175 in Premium. On the 737, no service was offered at all - not even water predeparture. The E175 had beverages offered in first during the flight (not pre-departure), but nothing in the rest of the plane. Service level was disappointing on the 737 in F.

Flew DL on the same route earlier this year, which in F offered both pre-departure and in-flight beverage.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Flew SEA-PSC-SEA this week. SEA-PSC on 737 in First and PSC-SEA on E175 in Premium. On the 737, no service was offered at all - not even water predeparture. The E175 had beverages offered in first during the flight (not pre-departure), but nothing in the rest of the plane. Service level was disappointing on the 737 in F.

Flew DL on the same route earlier this year, which in F offered both pre-departure and in-flight beverage.
AS (OO) didn't even serve anything but water in the main cabin SFO/SNA. WN had plenty of time for a full beverage service on the return. I can't imagine that I'd enjoy a job where I voluntarily sat on my poto, gossiping all day long in a jump seat, or otherwise complaining of work rules such that the passengers can hear, all while they're sitting around hoping for a drop of water.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
PSC-SEA is 172 miles. I have flown LH J on a regional jet and received a small cold meal (and drink with refill) on a 109 mile flight. Everyone in coach received a drink. Hawaiian manages to give everyone one a 717 intra island flight a water or POG (not sure if they have F/J and additional options).

If there is no significant turbulence, AS should really offer a drink and snack basket in F. Take orders before departures.
SEA-Flyer and PDXPremier like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
PSC-SEA is 172 miles. I have flown LH J on a regional jet and received a small cold meal (and drink with refill) on a 109 mile flight. Everyone in coach received a drink. Hawaiian manages to give everyone one a 717 intra island flight a water or POG (not sure if they have F/J and additional options).

If there is no significant turbulence, AS should really offer a drink and snack basket in F. Take orders before departures.
"Should" and "manages" aren't part of the current AS business model, which seems to be to lower expectations for everyone, and then when we get the occasional complaint, throw a pittance of miles or travel credit at the complainant. AS used to "manage" to serve a three course hot meal with nonstop beverage refills between SFO/OAK/SJC and PDX/SEA. The distances between the city pairs haven't materially shifted in my lifetime. Last time I was in "premium" OAK/SEA, the FA nearly bit my head off, and had an attitude when asking for a second beverage on the route.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew the 737 flight in F from SEA-EUG last weekend and was shocked that not only did F get full beverage service, but the entire Y cabin was served water or apple juice...almost seems like the "old" days. I wonder if that was a one-off or standard operating procedure now.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Flew the 737 flight in F from SEA-EUG last weekend and was shocked that not only did F get full beverage service, but the entire Y cabin was served water or apple juice...almost seems like the "old" days. I wonder if that was a one-off or standard operating procedure now.
SEA-EUG is 234 miles, so probably barely long enough to qualify for the inflight service. A similar example is ANC-FAI, which is 261 miles but always gets a beverage service in F and water/juice in the back.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach
SEA-EUG is 234 miles, so probably barely long enough to qualify for the inflight service. A similar example is ANC-FAI, which is 261 miles but always gets a beverage service in F and water/juice in the back.
Always... lol. Unless there is turbulence or something akin to turbulence. On this route, I've seen quite a few things. PDB can happen on mainline, not seen on QX.There is typically service in the air, sometimes with refills offered. And the snack basket was showing up on mainline flights, not as much anymore. I wish there was a pdb at least on flights that there will be no service in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.