Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Mileage accrual

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
JAL Mileage accrual

Just want to make sure I am reading this right, if I book a JAL ticket through American, is it eligible for miles? Their website specifically states "For flights purchased through Japan Airlines" and"Earning on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or marketed by American Airlines and operated by another oneworld member airline."I am booking a multi-city ticket and all four flights are operated by JAL. Its both Oneworld so I would assume I earn something? I can't figure out the fare class on American's site. I am somewhat going out of my way to earn Alaska miles so I want to make sure I am on the right track.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:34 pm

For JAL operated flights bought under a AA codeshare, it will earn based on AA's accrual chart. The fare class is displayed under details. If you search via the Google Trips portal you bypass that. The fare class is listed in the receipt. If you don't like the fare class you will earn on AA you can refund it within 24 hours.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
For JAL operated flights bought under a AA codeshare, it will earn based on AA's accrual chart. The fare class is displayed under details. If you search via the Google Trips portal you bypass that. The fare class is listed in the receipt. If you don't like the fare class you will earn on AA you can refund it within 24 hours.
There is no need to purchase the itinerary. You can see the fare rules & fare basis before purchase. This also applies to itineraries that have been placed on hold.

When you are at the "Review and Pay" page in the booking process you will see the fare rules. There is a link to the "Detailed fare rules" which will open in a new window. The top of the document shows the fare basis. The first letter is the booking class*

*Be aware that if the fare is a y‐up, the fare basis will be an economy fare basis but the booking class will be business, generally I class on AA. Any business class ticket that AA is marketing on JL metal will earn at least the 50% COS bonus. J booking class would earn a 100% COS bonus.

James
Old Aug 25, 2023, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Appreciate the response, I am using google as that's seemingly the only way to get the lower price. When I search directly from Americans site the JAL option doesn't come up and its materially more expensive on the American metal. Great point on the 24 hour rule.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
There is no need to purchase the itinerary. You can see the fare rules & fare basis before purchase. This also applies to itineraries that have been placed on hold.

When you are at the "Review and Pay" page in the booking process you will see the fare rules. There is a link to the "Detailed fare rules" which will open in a new window. The top of the document shows the fare basis. The first letter is the booking class*

*Be aware that if the fare is a y‐up, the fare basis will be an economy fare basis but the booking class will be business, generally I class on AA. Any business class ticket that AA is marketing on JL metal will earn at least the 50% COS bonus. J booking class would earn a 100% COS bonus.

James
Appreciate the response! I couldn't find the actual fare code. Rather, there is an eight digit "Fare Basis Code" that doesn't seem to tie back to the codes on Alaska's site. Its a business class so it appears I should earn something (and even a bonus) no matter the metal, flight number, or code. I was just making sure I would earn something reasonable and the appears to be the case!
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
Appreciate the response, I am using google as that's seemingly the only way to get the lower price. When I search directly from Americans site the JAL option doesn't come up and its materially more expensive on the American metal. Great point on the 24 hour rule.

Appreciate the response! I couldn't find the actual fare code. Rather, there is an eight digit "Fare Basis Code" that doesn't seem to tie back to the codes on Alaska's site. Its a business class so it appears I should earn something (and even a bonus) no matter the metal, flight number, or code. I was just making sure I would earn something reasonable and the appears to be the case!
The first letter of the fare basis code is the booking class. If the fare basis code is I××××××× then the booking class is I. The fare basis code will start with* I, R, D or J for business class, I being the cheapest and progressing up to J, the most expensive.

In Mileage Plan, refer to the earning charts for American Airlines. Business Class fares in I, R & D all earn 100% base (miles flown) + 50% Class of service bonus. J earn 100% base + 100% Class of service bonus.

It is most likely that the discounted business class fare will book into I. Your EQM earnings will be much better than if the flights were JL marketed. Discounted business class flights with JL flight numbers in booking class X or I only earn 70% base with no Class of service bonus.

LAX-HND 5487 Miles. I booking class. EQM/RDM

JL15 5487×0.7 = 3482 EQM/RDM
AA8453 5487×1.5 = 8231 EQM/RDM.

*There is also a C booking class on AA. I have intentionally left that out for simplicity.

As long as the operating carrier is also a oneworld alliance member, any AA marketed flight will earn in Mileage Plan. Earnings will be according to the American Airlines chart.

AA marketed flights, in many cases, earn better than if the same flight was marketed by the operting carrier. CX & AY earn 125% EQM in business class, AA 150%, so there is often an AAdvantage!

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.