OGG Waiver to 1 November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
OGG Waiver to 1 November

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...ries#wildfires

You can now call/text/chat for a refund.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Thank you. Doesn't quite seem enough but when more info is available perhaps they'll offer more. We're supposed to go in mid-November and I wonder if that's too soon.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Thank you. Doesn't quite seem enough but when more info is available perhaps they'll offer more. We're supposed to go in mid-November and I wonder if that's too soon.
My COVID era mantra for several trips was "I'm going, until I'm not." I'd be doing the same here, so long as everything could be refunded, credited, etc. up to a reasonable time prior to scheduled departure.
dw likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
I don’t want to sound ignorant. But Lahaina is one small part of Maui. Areas south of the airport were not affected by the devastating fire that affected Lahaina. Kihei, wailea, Hana were not affected. And I think kaanapali is ok too. But you need to go through Lahaina to get to kaanapali. So will be difficult the next couple of weeks I’m sure to get there. But Maui is a tourist area and areas not affected by the fire need tourist to make the economy churn.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:00 pm

Skip any west Maui resorts for a year or more. They are going to have serious staff and resource issues, and it just seems wrong IMO.

Kihei, Wailea probably less....but I personally would pick another destination entirely within the next two years.

​​​​​​

Last edited by StrandedinLA; Aug 14, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Skip any west Maui resorts for a year or more. They are going to have serious staff issues.

Kihei, Wailea probably less....but I personally would pick another destination entirely within the next two years.
I've been to Maui ~25 times and have NEVER stayed in a "resort". I always stay in a condominium. I'd much rather stay 3 weeks in a condo for the price of 1 week in a resort (when considering all costs including lodging and food). I plan on staying in a condominium in Kahana this November/December, unless the locals advise against it when the time comes. Yes, the restaurant scene will be very different, and it will be very sad to see the destruction, but with a condo you are much less reliant on staffing.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by scklumb
I don’t want to sound ignorant. But Lahaina is one small part of Maui. Areas south of the airport were not affected by the devastating fire that affected Lahaina. Kihei, wailea, Hana were not affected. And I think kaanapali is ok too. But you need to go through Lahaina to get to kaanapali. So will be difficult the next couple of weeks I’m sure to get there. But Maui is a tourist area and areas not affected by the fire need tourist to make the economy churn.
^^This X1000

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Skip any west Maui resorts for a year or more. They are going to have serious staff and resource issues, and it just seems wrong IMO.

​​​​​​
^^NOT THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Maui is a big place and many locals rely on tourism for their survival!!!!!!!!! Staffing will not be a problem as 100s if not thousands of workers just had their jobs (and houses) literally burn up. Many will be relocating to other parts of the island and looking for work.

The governor somewhat backtracked on his initial comments to avoid travel and admitted west Maui is the only place currently closed to tourism.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by mtofell
^^NOT THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Maui is a big place and many locals rely on tourism for their survival!!!!!!!!! Staffing will not be a problem as 100s if not thousands of workers just had their jobs (and houses) literally burn up. Many will be relocating to other parts of the island and looking for work.

The governor somewhat backtracked on his initial comments to avoid travel and admitted west Maui is the only place currently closed to tourism.
I think the question is - what will the labor supply and supply chain look like in the next few months on Maui? Will the feds wave the Jones Act? Will container ship space be in such demand that costs for the basics skyrocket? How are resorts in West Maui going to adequately staff their hotels if there isn't affordable housing for their employees? How many of those employees will move to the mainland or to other islands?

I could easily see it going the way you're describing, but I could also see it being much more challenging to operate a resort in the next year or so on Maui. I don't think we have enough data yet to know for sure how things will turn out. My gut right now is that we'll get some covid levels service from the West Maui resorts as they sort out the impacts and how to recover... and I expect costs to stay in South Maui to skyrocket.
StrandedinLA and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Maui is losing $1 million per day without tourists, County will lose $50 million annually in property taxes until Lahaina is rebuilt. As much as residents complain about visitors, they desperately need the $$ now more than ever.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by diver858
As much as residents complain about visitors, they desperately need the $$ now more than ever.
I saw a TV report showing an AS plane unloading aid stocks. Maui needs food, bottled water, living supplies, temporary housing, pet care and environmental cleanup. It doesn't need visitors and it doesn't need disaster tourism.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 11:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

A few off-topic (OMNI-esque and personal attacks) posts have been deleted.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I've been to Maui ~25 times and have NEVER stayed in a "resort". I always stay in a condominium. I'd much rather stay 3 weeks in a condo for the price of 1 week in a resort (when considering all costs including lodging and food). I plan on staying in a condominium in Kahana this November/December, unless the locals advise against it when the time comes. Yes, the restaurant scene will be very different, and it will be very sad to see the destruction, but with a condo you are much less reliant on staffing.
Many workers in Waimea and Lahaina called Lahaina their home. With that gone, they are displaced and no longer able to service condo, stores, or resort hotels. Many basic services including water, electricity, and phone services are still out. This includes 911 emergency services. Most condos forced its residents out due to lack of basic services. Water in Lahaina area is still undrinkable boiled or not due to contaminant entering the water system. Surface and ground water is used for west Maui areas. Bathing is discouraged with this water.

While many of these issues are being addressed with daily updates, hundreds of emergency utility workers, fire fighters will also need places to stay to service the continuing emergency conditions.

I know many condo owners wants to return sooner than later, but donating condo use might be a better idea for the near term.

Jiburi.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DL up to 16 September. I expect others will follow.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
DL up to 16 September. I expect others will follow.
I believe AS is showing October 1 now
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I believe AS is showing October 1 now
That's for new travel dates, not original travel dates. Still 31 Aug.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.