[Rumor] New Route ANC-YXY (Whitehorse)

Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:22 pm
  #1  
ANC
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Posts: 6,554
[Rumor] New Route ANC-YXY (Whitehorse)

I heard rumors a while back that AS was looking into ANC-YXY with an E175. Is there any new word on this or was it just something they explored but decided there was not enough demand to make it work or maybe it was a rumor 🤔
ANC is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:52 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,928
Originally Posted by ANC
I heard rumors a while back that AS was looking into ANC-YXY with an E175. Is there any new word on this or was it just something they explored but decided there was not enough demand to make it work or maybe it was a rumor 🤔
4N operates quite a few charters to the Yukon from FAI... that's for sure...
beckoa is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,263
Originally Posted by beckoa
4N operates quite a few charters to the Yukon from FAI... that's for sure...
And if timed well, you could connect to DE. For nostalgia, 4N operates 734s & 735s, reasonably priced and interlines baggage to AC. I have flown them YVR-YLW during AS' SEA-YLW seasonal downtime.

James
kalderlake likes this.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 4:52 am
  #4  
ANC
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Posts: 6,554
Originally Posted by beckoa
4N operates quite a few charters to the Yukon from FAI... that's for sure...
seems like if AS did a flight there it would only make sense to do it seasonally during the summer tourist season when they have a way higher volume of traffic coming from the lower 48
ANC is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Under the Big Oak Tree
Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Posts: 461
Whitehorse would be an interesting destination to add to AS' route map but it would be better to have a connection to the main hub at SEA rather than ANC.
notquiteaff, wrp96 and DLASflyer like this.
TravellingChris is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 8:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by beckoa
4N operates quite a few charters to the Yukon from FAI... that's for sure...
Sadly they don't anymore, but 4N flew scheduled FAI-YDA-YXY fligjts for many years in the summer and during the Yukon Quest.
Aliquot is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 4,037
Excellent! Now I wont have to fly via Frankfurt on Condor itll cut the cost but think of the missed miles!

3 segment path:
ANCFRA015(N)360(N)4,677 mi
FRAYXY341(N)338(N)4,538 mi
YXYANC280(W)261(W)503 mi
9,717 mi
(Just joking havent been to either Anchorage or Whitehorse but know that Condor has summer flights to both)
salut0 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:52 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 16,192
Originally Posted by ANC
seems like if AS did a flight there it would only make sense to do it seasonally during the summer tourist season when they have a way higher volume of traffic coming from the lower 48
We went there in the winter to see northern lights. Was a bust, but overall it was a fun trip. AC flies to YXY from YVR. If AS had a flight from SEA, I might be inclined to go back one of these years.
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,981
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Sadly they don't anymore, but 4N flew scheduled FAI-YDA-YXY fligjts for many years in the summer and during the Yukon Quest.
Umm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...600Z/CYDA/PAFA

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...000Z/CYDA/PAFA
Chugach is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,981
Originally Posted by ANC
I heard rumors a while back that AS was looking into ANC-YXY with an E175. Is there any new word on this or was it just something they explored but decided there was not enough demand to make it work or maybe it was a rumor 🤔
With DE pressing pause on YXY due to runway reconstruction now would be the time for AS to take a swing at Whitehorse if there ever was one (I make that comment because they could time it to connect to/from ANCs Condor service).

But honestly, with AS aircraft resources being so stretched right now Id be surprised if this was anything besides a rumor. Id love to see it happen, though.
Chugach is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:39 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Posts: 2,981
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
We went there in the winter to see northern lights. Was a bust, but overall it was a fun trip. AC flies to YXY from YVR. If AS had a flight from SEA, I might be inclined to go back one of these years.
Whitehorse is one of the most underrated towns in the North. Fun place to go spend a few days (at least in summer, havent been there in winter).
Chugach is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 3:08 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: An Island Paradise Near Seattle
Posts: 599
Originally Posted by Chugach
Whitehorse is one of the most underrated towns in the North. Fun place to go spend a few days (at least in summer, havent been there in winter).
I honestly do not get why it isnt constantly overrun with tourists to the limits of the infrastructure. Its spectacular and theyre on the dry side of the mountains so winters are not soggy as a rule.
notquiteaff and bon mot like this.
VibeGuy is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 5:17 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FAI Fairbanks, AK
Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by Aliquot
Sadly they don't anymore, but 4N flew scheduled FAI-YDA-YXY fligjts for many years in the summer and during the Yukon Quest.
4N is still flying out of Fairbanks, a couple of ATR-42 flights left within 20 minutes of each other and a 737-500 before them.
Crazy Dave is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 6:44 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,928
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave
4N is still flying out of Fairbanks, a couple of ATR-42 flights left within 20 minutes of each other and a 737-500 before them.
These are charters afaik
beckoa is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2023, 7:40 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave
4N is still flying out of Fairbanks, a couple of ATR-42 flights left within 20 minutes of each other and a 737-500 before them.
just charters.
Aliquot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.