Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

American Airlines domestic availability with AS miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

AA flies their three cabin aircraft from BOS to LAX. I am looking at 2 tickets in business or first in January 2024. I can see availability on the AA nonstop using BA website (and of course can see award tickets on AA) but Alaska doesnt show the nonstop flights at all and instead shows one-stop options both on AA and on AS. Is this expected? Should I try calling or will they see the same?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
This is expectedlegally they cant codeshare the direct BOS to LAX flight because of a settlement with the US government in order to approve the Virgin America merger.

edit: nevermind I didnt realize we were talking about using miles not paying cash. Ignore this lol
leroix likes this.

Last edited by ItsAnAdam; Jul 5, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Oh got it! Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
This is expectedlegally they cant codeshare the direct BOS to LAX flight because of a settlement with the US government in order to approve the Virgin America merger.
I might not have had enough coffee this morning, but how does this impact award availability?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
This may be expected, but the reason given here makes no sense. Award availability isn't dependent on codeshares. (This would make AS a usless program for many.)
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
You used to be able to get the domestic AA Flagship J awards (LAX-JFK, BOS-SFO, etc...) for 25K pretty easily. I feel like I haven't seen them in a year or so.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
I have seen this lack of availability frequently on some city pairs - for example - I don't see AA availability using AS miles for PDX-PHX, but I can often find AA availability with AS miles on routes that transit through PHX - (PDX-PHX-TUS for example) - AA has saver level tickets on these dates for PDX-PHX (and saver availability on AS non-stops from PDX-PHX). There does seems to be some AS system limitation for certain city pairs...
Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
You used to be able to get the domestic AA Flagship J awards (LAX-JFK, BOS-SFO, etc...) for 25K pretty easily. I feel like I haven't seen them in a year or so.
Yep, 100% true. I flew flagship j transcon a ton of times last year for 25k per but they disappeared - I believe when AA removed their mileage chart.

havent seen a single one in 6+ months :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.