Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Connecting in LAX from (Tom Bradley) International Terminal B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:34 am
Original Poster

It's been ~9y since going through LAX international (usually transit internationally through UA hubs). Arriving in Terminal B (TBIT) and will be connecting to Gate 68A for AS flight. My question is once clear immigration, can bags get dropped in TBIT or do they need to be schlepped all the way to Term 4? Stated otherwise, does AS have a presence in TBIT?

The sole reason is that I want to hit the lounges in TBIT, and I don't want to have to return there and again walk back to Term 4. I did that earlier this month on a domestic tix, and I had to run just to make my flight. If it matters, flying in C/F on LA.

Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Could look on destination LAX operations threads.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
It's been ~9y since going through LAX international (usually transit internationally through UA hubs). Arriving in Terminal B (TBIT) and will be connecting to Gate 68A for AS flight. My question is once clear immigration, can bags get dropped in TBIT or do they need to be schlepped all the way to Term 4? Stated otherwise, does AS have a presence in TBIT?

The sole reason is that I want to hit the lounges in TBIT, and I don't want to have to return there and again walk back to Term 4. I did that earlier this month on a domestic tix, and I had to run just to make my flight. If it matters, flying in C/F on LA.
What lounges at TBIT would you be accessing? LA is no longer a oneworld carrier so you wouldn't have access to a oneworld lounge. If the LA & AS flights are on the same PNR, your baggage should be checked through to their final destination and it would be dropped off after customs in TBIT.

I do the TBIT to T6 airside in about 12-14 minutes.

James
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
Nothing. I called the MVP line, who connected me to AS baggage. The agent told me that AS does not have a presence in TBIT but that there could be an AS agent waiting. The baggage agent also told me that she has heard stories of pax giving their bags to a porter only for the bags to take days to arrive or never arrive at all. She was not clear if that was an authorized AS porter nor did she identify if such only concerned LAX. It appears that one needs to lug the bags from TBIT to Term 4. That is what I had to do in FLL once, and I purposely avoided that particular flight thereafter even though the OAL had a really good hard and soft product in J.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Just an FYI but you keep referring to T4. That is AA, not AS. Alaska is out of T6 at LAX. It's not too far of a stroll from TBIT to T6. Once you are airside you can use the connecting tunnel to get from T6 back to T4 and from there on to TBIT.
Emeraldcity and watson10 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
After customs there is a drop off desk for bags from international flights that are tagged to another destination. No need to schlepp anything to the domestic terminal. I have done it many times at many different US international gateways and never had a bag disappear or get delayed because of that. Obviously, if you have a really tight connection, the bag needs to get from TB to T6, but given your plan to hang out at a lounge, that doesn’t seem to be a concern.
wrp96 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by djp98374
Nothing. I called the MVP line, who connected me to AS baggage. The agent told me that AS does not have a presence in TBIT but that there could be an AS agent waiting. The baggage agent also told me that she has heard stories of pax giving their bags to a porter only for the bags to take days to arrive or never arrive at all. She was not clear if that was an authorized AS porter nor did she identify if such only concerned LAX. It appears that one needs to lug the bags from TBIT to Term 4. That is what I had to do in FLL once, and I purposely avoided that particular flight thereafter even though the OAL had a really good hard and soft product in J.
The LAX connections and transfers help thread is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...thread-16.html
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
After customs there is a drop off desk for bags from international flights that are tagged to another destination. No need to schlepp anything to the domestic terminal. I have done it many times at many different US international gateways and never had a bag disappear or get delayed because of that. Obviously, if you have a really tight connection, the bag needs to get from TB to T6, but given your plan to hang out at a lounge, that doesn’t seem to be a concern.
That is exactly the information I was seeking. Thank you!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Just an FYI but you keep referring to T4. That is AA, not AS. Alaska is out of T6 at LAX. It's not too far of a stroll from TBIT to T6. Once you are airside you can use the connecting tunnel to get from T6 back to T4 and from there on to TBIT.
My mistake. Indeed, AS = T6. The connecting tunnels that I had to take a few weeks ago were very long, IMHO, esp after zig zagging from the AMEX lounge
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The LAX connections and transfers help thread is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...thread-16.html
Notably, I looked through that thread. the info given above had what I needed and was succinct. I did not see anything close in the LAX connections/transfers thread so I will add something
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I do it 2-3 times a year, usually from MX. it’s a 7-10 minute stroll through an old but fairly clean tunnel. When you go though security again in T6 there is an Alaska Lounge, but it can be busy at rush hour. We’ve had our bags not make it a couple of times, so be sure to use air tags.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
If your bag is tagged through to your final destination, you will be fine. We did this a few weeks ago on Fiji and were able to use the drop-off desk at TBIT. There's a guy there that scans the bag and it just goes back into the secure area of the airport.

The key thing - the bag must be tagged through. In my experience connecting at LAX, I have never seen an AS agent in TBIT that will re-tag your bag for you. One thing about LA - they will not, under any circumstances, tag your bag through if you're flying AS on a separate ticket. The AS segment has to be on the same ticket. What this means for you is that you will be unable to re-check the bag in TBIT if said tag doesn't have your AS flight on it, and you will have to schlep the bag to T6. I've done this and it's a PITA. I wish there was a kiosk or something down there to allow people to re-tag. I believe UA, for instance, has this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sullim4
If your bag is tagged through to your final destination, you will be fine. We did this a few weeks ago on Fiji and were able to use the drop-off desk at TBIT. There's a guy there that scans the bag and it just goes back into the secure area of the airport.

The key thing - the bag must be tagged through. In my experience connecting at LAX, I have never seen an AS agent in TBIT that will re-tag your bag for you. One thing about LA - they will not, under any circumstances, tag your bag through if you're flying AS on a separate ticket. The AS segment has to be on the same ticket. What this means for you is that you will be unable to re-check the bag in TBIT if said tag doesn't have your AS flight on it, and you will have to schlep the bag to T6. I've done this and it's a PITA. I wish there was a kiosk or something down there to allow people to re-tag. I believe UA, for instance, has this.
Thank you. That is very good to know bc I've been looking at purchasing two separate tix for future travel with AS being separate bc the airline (LA) I want to fly into and out of LAX apparently does not code share with AS on paid tix (but does on award). SO, it appears I can interline going outbound but cannot on the return. Can a travel agent somehow merge the flights onto one ticket? I really do not want to have to schlep...
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
usually transit internationally through UA hubs
Somewhat OT, but LAX is a UA hub.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Somewhat OT, but LAX is a UA hub.
good point. I forget LAX is a UA hub bc I almost exclusively use IAH, ORD, and IAD as departure points for int'l travel. Flying to LAX otherwise I almost exclusively use AS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.