Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to London on AS Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Best Way to London on AS Miles?

Hi! I’m trying to book a one way flight to London for a family of five. Given BA’s outrageous surcharges, is the only way to get there reasonably either by doing Condor and then buying a connecting to London or IcelandAir’s “business class” seats? Any advice would be very helpful.

Last edited by ffman999; Jun 24, 2023 at 10:06 am
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Economy class, premium economy, or business? Guessing Y since you need 5 tickets? What airport do you want to fly from?

AA is one option. EI (Aer Lingus) is another option, sometimes you can find reasonably priced economy class. Flying from Canada (e.g. YVR) will sometimes lower the BA surcharges.

If you want to get more creative, you could fly to CDG on Air Tahiti Nui and take the Eurostar train to London.

Personally, I have found the Y airfare to LHR cheap enough from an airport like SEA during non-peak travel times that I've always paid cash. I tend to save miles for J.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I usually fly J. Sometimes I do a mix of miles for a few tickets and paid for a few. Based in Seattle but sometimes fly from YVR, SFO, or LAX.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Condor can fly you via FRA (on LH for the second leg), but probably not on AS awards. Their revenue tickets can be bought one-way without penalty. Condor and BA doesn’t work on the same AS award either (only one partner).

Do all five have to be on the same set of flights?

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 24, 2023 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ffman999
Hi! I’m trying to book a one way flight to London for a family of five. Given BA’s outrageous surcharges, is the only way to get there reasonably either by doing Condor and then buying a connecting to London or IcelandAir’s “business class” seats? Any advice would be very helpful.
Iceland Air has surcharges as well. Not as high as BA’s but $150ish on a one way adds up for five tickets.

American would be minimal surcharge (as low as 22.5k in coach one way + slightly under $6) but I doubt you’re going to find 5 J on an award involving AA (lol). To be honest 5J on any AS partner via award is going to be like finding a unicorn. I actually think AS is not an amazing program for this given that you can’t mix and match partners so you are pretty much stuck with fairly limited options. You would be better off with AA or AF/KL.

AA 155/156 out of SEA to LHR has been an award paradise (which is why AA is 86’ing it this fall, offpeak likely gets you your own row in Y).

Originally Posted by sullim4
Personally, I have found the Y airfare to LHR cheap enough from an airport like SEA during non-peak travel times that I've always paid cash. I tend to save miles for J.
I’ve never seen cheap one ways to LHR using cash on anyone other than LCCs, it’s usually a very expensive fare. Key in OP’s post is “one-way”.
notquiteaff and Bradhattan like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 24, 2023 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’ve never seen cheap one ways to LHR using cash on anyone other than LCCs, it’s usually a very expensive fare. Key in OP’s post is “one-way”.
Icelandair used to have fairly reasonable one-way pricing in Y, but indeed for just about every other carrier it would be (much) cheaper to book a return, one-way in J/PE/Y and back in Y.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by frankvb
Icelandair used to have fairly reasonable one-way pricing in Y, but indeed for just about every other carrier it would be (much) cheaper to book a return, one-way in J/PE/Y and back in Y.
Icelandair is pretty close to an LCC…
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
22.5K for AA for saver Y is the best deal out there in my opinion....booked KOA-PDX (over one month stopover)-LAX-LHR for 22.5K this fall/winter...with the free MCE seating as 75K, it was a no-brainer. The idea of flying to Iceland is always interests me, but I'm not going to pay more miles for a low cost carrier.
Waitlisted, QT31415 and progapanda like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and wisdom. I see some Air Lingus J availability at the lower rate but need to connect through Chicago or other cities.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
I've seen decent fares on BA from SFO-LHR, so perhaps you can use AS mile for positioning and return?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I dunno, I have had a lot of luck with this, at least pre-pandemic. In 2019 for Easter, I was able to get $200-ish one way on VS in economy light nonstop and I see Westjet currently has one-way fares in the $375 range in Sept/Oct from SEA and sub-$300 from YVR. VS isn't BA and WS isn't AC, but they are plenty comfortable, they fly newer 787s, and the legroom is comparable to BA.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If you are thinking this summer, you're about six months too late to get much on miles, let alone 5. Also, while BA's fees are high, I find they often are the same or close enough to the same to not be a problem when compared to the cost of a positioning flight or train from somewhere in Europe to London. Try looking at departure points that use the biggest number of J seats aircraft but with business travel reaching pre-pandemic levels, there probably aren't many available, Also, you will do much better if you can split up into 2, 2 and 1. Is that possible? I am usually looking for 1 seat and find that when I am looking for just 2 the availability becomes less and 3 starts to cut it down to nothing. Are you determined to fly in the same class? If you can split into smaller bookings in J, PE etc. you might find luck. Also try Manchester? Again though train fares to London might eat up more than it's worth. It's often easier to find mileage seats to a point in Europe through London and then re-position but, again, back to London is expensive. I wish I could get paid for all the hours over the years that I've spent chasing mileage and decent fare tickets! Of course as you only want one way, you pretty much eliminate BA for a paid fare because their one ways are really expensive compared to a return fare.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually fly J. Sometimes I do a mix of miles for a few tickets and paid for a few. Based in Seattle but sometimes fly from YVR, SFO, or LAX.
Thanks for all the tips and wisdom. I see some Air Lingus J availability at the lower rate but need to connect through Chicago or other cities.
Travel when?
The more self imposed restrictions the harder it will be. Or totally fail.
Getting 5 off business class awards SEA-London is a very tough ask.
Options
  • Some award and same cash
  • Split your party
  • Fly to different destinations
  • Fly on different dates
  • Fly anywhere USA to anywhere EU/UK and with separate local positioning flights
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Simple: Fifth Freedom Flight on SQ #51 from IAH to MAN, and take the high speed train from Manchester to London.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Simple: Fifth Freedom Flight on SQ #51 from IAH to MAN, and take the high speed train from Manchester to London.
Simple? I think not.

A few logistic issues:

1) good luck finding 5 SQ awards, even in Y (OP provides no dates)
2) Assuming #1 successful, OP + travel companion would have to incur more costs on both ends, by positioning to IAH, and getting from Manchester to London
notquiteaff, irishguy28 and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.