Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska ”milk run” as a BA Tier Point run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

How do you find the best business class fares on the “milk run” route? Is it possible to book the multi segment route with different flights numbers on each segment without hiking the price hugely? (As far as I understand if the whole run is multiple flights with the same number all the way through it will only credit miles/points as if it were a single flight segment only).
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by salut0
How do you find the best business class fares on the “milk run” route? Is it possible to book the multi segment route with different flights numbers on each segment without hiking the price hugely? (As far as I understand if the whole run is multiple flights with the same number all the way through it will only credit miles/points as if it were a single flight segment only).
AS goes out of its way to not allow people to do what you are talking about. Also, the smaller stations on that route require you to exit security immediately upon deplaning; there is no option to remain in the sterile area except for JNU and sometimes KTN, depending on arrival gate.

Fares on these routes generally are what they are. Occasionally there will be sales that lower prices temporarily but in general these are not competitive routes, and AS can name its price.

If you want to do it, my advice is to book it, get a window seat and enjoy the view. Don’t worry about the segments.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
That makes sense.

However, I’m finding it hard to find any Alaska tickets that include the long 2000mi segments in business class for anything less than about $920 — BOS-SEA r/t, for example — which works out at about $3.29/BA tier point (140+140 points). Adding segments on either end to different western destinations (I’ve tried GEG, BOI, EUG…) or from different eastern origins just seems to hike the price.

Do these long flights ever get sold for cheaper? On Finnair, by contrast, you can fly OSL/ARN/CPH-HEL-AGP in business class sometimes for less than about $600 round trip which works out to much less per tier point.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by salut0
That makes sense.

However, I’m finding it hard to find any Alaska tickets that include the long 2000mi segments in business class for anything less than about $920 — BOS-SEA r/t, for example — which works out at about $3.29/BA tier point (140+140 points). Adding segments on either end to different western destinations (I’ve tried GEG, BOI, EUG…) or from different eastern origins just seems to hike the price.

Do these long flights ever get sold for cheaper? On Finnair, by contrast, you can fly OSL/ARN/CPH-HEL-AGP in business class sometimes for less than about $600 round trip which works out to much less per tier point.
I’d sincerely recommend you fly AY or AA if you want to do tier runs that maximize BA earning. AS simply doesn’t run their network in a way that makes a lot of this kind of stuff easy. They manage capacity and demand pretty well so usually they will NOT offer a lot of discounts on connecting itineraries (I’ve seen some exceptions where SEA-PDX/SFO/BOI-XXX prices better than SEA-XXX, but it’s not consistently so). the classic BA tier run to HNL on BA/AA isn’t really an AS thing I have noticed.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Alaska are also poor with schedule changes where they charge the increase in fare to switch flights.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’d sincerely recommend you fly AY or AA if you want to do tier runs that maximize BA earning. AS simply doesn’t run their network in a way that makes a lot of this kind of stuff easy. They manage capacity and demand pretty well so usually they will NOT offer a lot of discounts on connecting itineraries (I’ve seen some exceptions where SEA-PDX/SFO/BOI-XXX prices better than SEA-XXX, but it’s not consistently so). the classic BA tier run to HNL on BA/AA isn’t really an AS thing I have noticed.
Agree totally. If doing one of the milk run flights is on the OP’s to do list, my recommendation is to do the BA segment run to get to SEA or ANC, then do the milk run on its own.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Markie
Alaska are also poor with schedule changes where they charge the increase in fare to switch flights.
I've been able to switch flights with no problem if schedule change is > 1 hr. Often I can get this done over the website.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Through fares have pretty much dried up and pricing is approximately the summation of the segment fares. Everything through SEA to/from Canada was significantly cheaper than Canada to/from SEA. Recently, for a close in LAX-SEA-YVR, AS was asking $1042 in Main. Domestically there were a lot too. PHX-SEA-ORD was quite often $100. I did, however, book SJO-LAX-SEA-YVR in February for $368, definitely cheaper than the segments.

James
salut0 and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by econ
I've been able to switch flights with no problem if schedule change is > 1 hr. Often I can get this done over the website.
You can do it but if there is no availability in the fare class they upcharge you to what is available. Other airlines will simply make the space needed available or change with no-refare.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
You can do it but if there is no availability in the fare class they upcharge you to what is available. Other airlines will simply make the space needed available or change with no-refare.
On AS-operated flights? Unless they changed something in the last month, I've had them rebook me onto alternative flight(s) with no charge, even my originally booked fare class wasn't available.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
That is not true. Available fare classes are not relevant.

On a schedule change, you can change to a different flight ±1 day with no fare difference. If the schedule change is 60 minutes or more you can request a refund to the original form of payment.

On a flight cancelation, you can change to a flight ±3 days with no fare difference. You can request a credit or refund to the original form of payment.

My flight was changed or canceled.

My flight was changed or canceled. If your flight is affected by a schedule change, we will move you to the next available flight. If your new flight works for you, great! We'll see you onboard.

If your new flight schedule was changed by more than one hour, you have some options:
  • Change your flight online to one that better suits your schedule - up to 1 day earlier or later.
  • Cancel your trip online and receive future travel credit.
  • Contact us to cancel your trip and receive a refund* to your original form of payment.
If your flight was canceled, we will move you to the next available flight. If your new flight works for you, great! We'll see you onboard.

Otherwise, you have some options:
  • Change your flight online to one that better suits your schedule—up to 3 days earlier or later.
  • Cancel your trip online and receive future travel credit.
  • Contact us to cancel your trip and receive a refund* to your original form of payment.
And remember, if your plans change at any time, there are no fees to change or cancel Main and First Class fares. A fare difference may apply.

*Please note: To qualify for a refund to your original form of payment, you must have an active reservation on the impacted flight. If you voluntarily canceled your trip and received a future travel credit before the flight cancellation, you are not eligible for a refund.

James
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 18, 2023 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This does not mirror my experience.

I'm guessing you encountered a rogue agent. You sure it wasn't DL?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by Chugach
AS goes out of its way to not allow people to do what you are talking about. Also, the smaller stations on that route require you to exit security immediately upon deplaning; there is no option to remain in the sterile area except for JNU and sometimes KTN, depending on arrival gate.

Fares on these routes generally are what they are. Occasionally there will be sales that lower prices temporarily but in general these are not competitive routes, and AS can name its price.

If you want to do it, my advice is to book it, get a window seat and enjoy the view. Don’t worry about the segments.
So I assume no possibility to exit the plane and reboard at those small stations, just for the sake of stretching the legs during the turn around...
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I took these Nov 2017 pix from the top of the stairs while on the ground at PSG

and an hour or so later at KTN

stretching legs — yes

deplaning, entering the terminal, and reboarding — no
econ likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Minos
So I assume no possibility to exit the plane and reboard at those small stations, just for the sake of stretching the legs during the turn around...
Not really. Ground time is short…usually less than 45 minutes, just enough time to turn and burn. Honestly, these are short segments, ranging from 20 minutes to about 45 minutes (SEA-KTN and JNU-ANC excluded). It’s easy enough to use the lav on the ground, and if the flight attendant isn’t too persnickety they will usually let you poke your head out the door to take a picture (without leaving the plane).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.