Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Volunteered, gave up seat, CMH-SEA 5-15-23

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

I had an interesting experience with this. Wondering if folks had any answers to some of my questions below. First, there's what happened (I'm not MVP this year):
- I got the invite to get on bump list just a few hours before the flight (6:40pm departure).
- Upon arrival at gate, went up to agent to confirm my availability to fly the next day. I had assumed they went in order of people replying to email, but agent had a list on paper that I was added to.
- They ended up needing 3 bumpees, and I was first. What was interesting to me was that they didn't tell me any flight options before confirming that I was willing to be bumped.
- After flight left, the agents worked on the certificate ($850) and next-day flights. They had quite a bit of difficulty getting those flights because Alaska's system would show seats available on United or Delta, but those airlines wouldn't accept the booking. They finally found CMH-DEN on United, and DEN-SEA on Alaska. I was able to confirm it on the United app - I didn't want to leave until I'd done that (and selected my seats - main, but at least window, and aisle). The delay on all this was more than 90 minutes after the plane departed, with the agents on calls to support.
- The agent then offered me 20k miles for my delay and confusion, asking for my milagle plan # and saying it would be there in 48 hours (haven't seen it there yet - a little disconcerting that I have no physical evidence that this was granted.
- They also gave me a hotel room (Fairfield a short walk from terminal) and $48 worth of meal credits (which I used in Denver and Seattle on the way home).
- The new flights were on time, uneventful.

My questions:
- Anybody else seen trouble with AS's "reaccommodation" system? Seemed really wonky.
- Is that 48-prediction on the granting of the miles accurate? If not there by then, should I contact Alaska support?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Costco Club
When trying to book on Other Airlines, especially ones that are not alliance or codeshare partners, sometimes it comes back as unconfirmed and will not confirm, this happens mainly with Delta. CMH being a contractor for AS may also be an issue as they may not be as familiar with AS's systems.
Rasbobbo likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS gold
It also depends on the experience of the agent handling your rebooking, and whether they are an Alaska employee or a contractor.
In New Orleans a year ago, a contractor took an hour, could not complete the process, and we had to seek compensation, hotel and meals on arrival in Seattle where it
took another hour of explaining and negotiations with an Alaska Airline supervisor. Last month, in Ft Lauderdale, the whole process took only 15 minutes, when
handled by an agent who had worked for Alaska for 25 years.

Regarding the promise of 20K for the delay, don't wait for it to post. Send a note to customer care now, with the name of the agent that made the promise, screen shots, or copies of other documentation, including the $850 paper voucher.

You will immediately get back an automated response from them, stating that you will hear from them shortly, with a specific customer care reference number. Then, if you do not see the miles in your account within a week, call customer care on the phone and give the agent the reference number. They will be able to immediately digest your request and evidence, and will likely take care of the matter on the spot.
StrandedinLA likes this.

Last edited by macfadsj; May 17, 2023 at 4:28 pm
Old May 17, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by macfadsj
It also depends on the experience of the agent handling your rebooking, and whether they are an Alaska employee or a contractor.
In New Orleans a year ago, a contractor took an hour, could not complete the process, and we had to seek compensation, hotel and meals on arrival in Seattle where it
took another hour of explaining and negotiations with an Alaska Airline supervisor. Last month, in Ft Lauderdale, the whole process took only 15 minutes, when
handled by an agent who had worked for Alaska for 25 years.

Regarding the promise of 20K for the delay, don't wait for it to post. Send a note to customer care now, with the name of the agent that made the promise, screen shots, or copies of other documentation, including the $850 paper voucher.

You will immediately get back an automated response from them, stating that you will hear from them shortly, with a specific customer care reference number. Then, if you do not see the miles in your account within a week, call customer care on the phone and give the agent the reference number. They will be able to immediately digest your request and evidence, and will likely take care of the matter on the spot.
most airports it’s contractors. Not AS staff. AS needs to be flying enough there to justify their own staff
Old May 17, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
This sounds like good customer service — miles as well as a bump voucher and meals and hotel. Hope you get everything you were promised soon without too much hassle.
Rasbobbo and pinniped like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
20k RDM? Dang, that’s a lot of compensation. We got 1k miles a few months ago when they didn’t load meals. And that did take a few days to show up in the account.

I don’t have a lot of hands on experience volunteering for later flights, but I think I would generally want to know what alternative flight they would put me on before handing over the boarding pass.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
20k RDM? Dang, that’s a lot of compensation. We got 1k miles a few months ago when they didn’t load meals. And that did take a few days to show up in the account.
On the flip side of the RDM per inconvenience equation, they'll give you 2,500 miles when your bags come out 22 minutes after the door opens.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
... I don’t have a lot of hands on experience volunteering for later flights, but I think I would generally want to know what alternative flight they would put me on before handing over the boarding pass.
I have a lot of experience with DL (although most of it in the 2012-2019 timeframe *), and my initial interaction with the GA has always been to ask what option/s are available; I won't actually put my name on the list unless both the fallback and the compensation are acceptable

*- a couple weeks ago I was going SEA-RDU-DCA (in paid F) at 915pm; even though SEA-JFK-DCA at 955pm was available, the GA said she was only authorized to offer SEA-ATL-DCA at 1230am in Y ... yes it was a 763, and yes there were a few window seats, but since both F and C+ were full even a $750 gift card wasn't enough for me to switch
notquiteaff and Rasbobbo like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
I have a lot of experience with DL (although most of it in the 2012-2019 timeframe *), and my initial interaction with the GA has always been to ask what option/s are available; I won't actually put my name on the list unless both the fallback and the compensation are acceptable

*- a couple weeks ago I was going SEA-RDU-DCA (in paid F) at 915pm; even though SEA-JFK-DCA at 955pm was available, the GA said she was only authorized to offer SEA-ATL-DCA at 1230am in Y ... yes it was a 763, and yes there were a few window seats, but since both F and C+ were full even a $750 gift card wasn't enough for me to switch
I got an email yesterday offering me $250 if my plans were flexible to take another flight SEA-SJC. Like the OP, it did not list any potential options or any other details about compensation. I don't think you can get any other details before adding your name to the list. I knew my flight was the last of the night to SJC and I really didn't want to fly to SFO.

I also heard the announcement for a flight from SEA-LAX last night while at SEA. They were offering $400 travel voucher to take the SEA-LAX flight later that night.
Rasbobbo likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I heard back about the 20,000 miles the gate agent promised (after first offering the $100 discount code mentioned below), and it was not good. I guess I now know to get everything in writing and with agent full name and employee number. I wrote back and asked for the $100 discount code, but told them I was disappointed.
----

Thank you for contacting Customer Care. It's our goal to make sure every trip you have on Alaska goes smoothly. The best way for us to do that is hearing from you.

I am sorry to hear of the errors that occurred after you volunteered to take a later flight, and that your connection was changed from Chicago to Denver. Upon review of your reservation and this oversold flight, I see that you were sent a $850 travel certificate for volunteering, and then after these issues, were offered an additional $100 discount code as an apology. I do not se anything notated about 20,000 miles, and 20,000 miles is much higher than any compensation we can provide. If you would prefer miles to the discount code, I can add 4,000 miles to your account. If you would like the $100 discount code, please let me know so I can finish processing that.

Robert, it is my hope that your future flights with us will reflect the high level of service you have come to expect when traveling with us. We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you aboard another Alaska flight soon.

Sincerely,
Christina
Customer Care Representative
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
This *almost* happened to me too.

Reminder to always get your agreed compensation in writing, or at least some kind of evidence or employee details to prove it.

About 2 years ago flying SFO-SEA-DEN, AS gate agent @ SFO offered $950/person and needed three volunteers which my partner & I volunteered for.

Agent immediately put us on a UA nonstop SFO-DEN actually getting us into DEN earlier than our AS itinerary, which was great (plus ORC for the AS flights and UA Y-class miles for the flight).

However, I never received anything in writing from the agent, who was in a hurry to close the flight.

After waiting five days without a credit, voucher, or email for the $950, I called customer care, who asked if I had any proof of the gate agent's award... then refused to offer any credit.

When I insisted, they came back and offered $250. I then asked for a supervisor, who was able to go back and check the credits given for SFO bumps that day, and thankfully they did see the other single volunteer for my flight was awarded $950, and promptly issued my partner & I's.

Not sure what would've happened if there wasn't a third volunteer bumped on our flight with properly-documented compensation, but I would have certainly fought for the $950.
anteater and Rasbobbo like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Wonder how in the future AS will offer immediate compensation for making flight changes. Currently they do it for much lower compensation between $25-75 along with the alternative flight choices. I just assumed they are/were trialing.

I’ve had EVERY flight the last 2 weeks heading into Seattle send me an email about the possibility of need for volunteers and a minimum of $350 compensation for being flexible. None of which actually required or needed volunteers. Also several flights offering immediate $25 (LMAO) to switch immediately. I NEVER accept the immediate offer anymore due to the inefficiency of actually getting the $25 into my wallet.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mixmastermark

Reminder to always get your agreed compensation in writing, or at least some kind of evidence or employee details to prove it.
But how does one do that in practice? I doubt AS would sign any “document” the passenger prepares on the back of a napkin. My last bump was years ago with UA, and the agent printed out a voucher right then and there. From what I read here, AS doesn’t offer anything in real time, so how do you end up with proof of what the agreement was? And while I think most will get what was promised, what’s preventing rogue agents under pressure from promising the moon and then leaving the passenger without a way to claim the moon? Or, perhaps more likely (as in your case, it seems) the agent somehow failing to process the compensation correctly.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 27, 2023 at 8:16 am
Old May 27, 2023, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Most agents wear a name tag and I've never had one not offer his/her first name when I asked. I would think a name would be sufficient to support any inquiry.
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.