Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to Find Fiji Airways (FJ) Awards Using AS miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Find Fiji Airways (FJ) Awards Using AS miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The awards I booked are from a Fiji gateway. Your post in the Flame Free thread is a cross post. Where would be best to reply?

James
Does not matter. When I tested different routings on AS website - the only working way was to have an AS segment connected to the Fiji gateway.

If you could make LAX-NAN, NAN-AKL or SYD work the same way as your routing from Fiji gateway, i.e. showing the J availability on the LAX-NAN which are there when searching as One Way, then it is very much welcome to post your screen shot.

I have tried LAX, SFO and YVR - none works. All reverted the one way J seat to coach on the long haul segment. Once I added an AS segment connecting to Fiji gateway, the multicity routing worked, even though both bookend flights were in coach, i.e. AS coach Fiji long haul J, then coach to AKL or SYD - but at least the system would produce results with mixed cabin indication. Without AS connecting segment, the system simply would not pull up the mixed cabin at all, just main cabin availability. This is what puzzles me. You have the spirit of getting to the bottom per our previous exchanges, so may be you can show some proof that Fiji gateway worked also by using the LAX as an example.

What I am trying here is to figure out the quirks on various AS online award booking, such as something that after you added an AS segment, it might cost you LESS than without, on a JL booking or something like that, a blogger reported a few days ago.

Being based on East Coast, my preferred way to go Down Under is to use a RTW routing - US-EU, EU-OZ (QR via DOH is the most desirable), OZ-Asia-US. Did this several times pre Pandemic.

Flying to West Coast to fly the TPAC is simply too long a travel time, not to mention I hardly see AS has any saver seats even in coach from my area, any saver seats would be on AA flights, needless to say it would not work together with a Fiji flight in an award - hence the AS site gave me an error or no result.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 15, 2023 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I, too, ran into a problem trying to book a layover in NAN. See the screenshots below. J award available SFO to NAN (through LAX for the Fiji long haul flight in J), but if I try to use multi-city so I can do a layover in Fiji and then on to AKL a few days later, there is no availability. What is your secret James? Really appreciate your expertise in all pf your knowledgable posts.

EDIT: I tried again and it looks like the problem is that NAN to AKL on award travel is not available.

Last edited by pipeliner; Aug 16, 2023 at 2:45 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Does not matter. When I tested different routings on AS website - the only working way was to have an AS segment connected to the Fiji gateway.
It does matter! Cross Posting is a violation of Flyertalk rules. I was subtly pointing that out so you could rectify it.

If you could make LAX-NAN, NAN-AKL or SYD work the same way as your routing from Fiji gateway, i.e. showing the J availability on the LAX-NAN which are there when searching as One Way, then it is very much welcome to post your screen shot.

You have the spirit of getting to the bottom per our previous exchanges, so may be you can show some proof that Fiji gateway worked also by using the LAX as an example.
I don't have to prove anything! I enjoy helping out others with the intricacies of Mileage Plan earnings, the quirks of award bookings and sharing my experiences of which I have a "few." Usually, that is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, that was not the case in our original exchange and one I have not forgotten. Once bitten, twice shy!

That aside, here is "proof!"

LAX-NAN 2 J available
NAN-AKL 2 J available 5 days later*¹
Booked online with multi-city.

* Late departing FJ flights from NA arrive +2 days. Take that into consideration when building your stopover. Both flights depart on a Tuesday yet your stopover is 5 days.

¹ NAN has an International departure tax of $62.60. On international flights arriving into and departing from NAN within 3 days are exempt. A three day stopover would not incur the tax; anything longer will. Notice the taxes for a 5-day stopover.

James
kalderlake likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 16, 2023 at 1:49 pm
Old Aug 16, 2023, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It does matter! Cross Posting is a violation of Flyertalk rules. I was subtly pointing that out so you could rectify it.

I don't have to prove anything! I enjoy helping out others with the intricacies of Mileage Plan earnings, the quirks of award bookings and sharing my experiences of which I have a "few." Usually, that is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, that was not the case in our original exchange and one I have not forgotten. Once bitten, twice shy!

That aside, here is "proof!"

LAX-NAN 2 J available
NAN-AKL 2 J available 5 days later*¹
Booked online with multi-city.

* Late departing FJ flights from NA arrive +2 days. Take that into consideration when building your stopover. Both flights depart on a Tuesday yet your stopover is 5 days.

¹ NAN has an International departure tax of $62.60. On international flights arriving into and departing from NAN within 3 days are exempt. A three day stopover would not incur the tax; anything longer will. Notice the taxes for a 5-day stopover.

James
Thanks for your screen shot example to show that is indeed possible to book the multicity without AS connection flight. I would like to see if that could be duplicated just for playing the website IF there is any availability left to play with. Personally I have no interest to fly this route but I am indeed curious because of one less known trick that having an AS connection flight might lower the total award price in certain routes as reported by a blogger. That was the purpose I mentioned on my first reply about the multicity booking difficulty encountered by me. Obviously there might be something I did not do it right - but I did use 5 calendar days from NAN arrival yet the website only gave me Main Cabin selection, reverted the LAX-NAN J to Main Cabin. I did not say multicity not bookable, I was not able to see LAX-NAN J that was available in One Way, or available when there was an AS connecting flight preceding the Fiji gateway... That was my question. What I wanted to see was a real search screen shot, JUST LIKE THE ONES You Posted on the CX EU Gateways revenue pricing that were in the 4 to 6K euro range to "Prove" I was wrong when I mentioned a friend bought a MUC-HKG CX J R/T with <2K euro...

Now since you mentioned your displeasure in our exchanges, let's go from the beginning of the exchanges as I remember it, once and for all to set things straight. Related threads are pretty much all over the places in AS and even AA forum but basically boil down to the sequence of "discussions" listed below.

Whatever grudge you are holding, and never forgot, starts from discussion on some AA TATL availability that I mentioned after others comments, agreed it was basically none. You jumped out immediately to post the image of your actual booking from YVR or some location on West Coast. I actually said that time, as like "You win. You were very lucky to find that but from East Coast what one could find basically were all BA. I should have said that I meant it was from East Coast."

So that comment somehow bit you or offended you...

Then there were some discussions on the CX availability that Percysmith and I held the same opinions that direct TPAC revenue tickets were so expensive that if one must go to Hong Kong, going via EU would actually be cheaper. I mentioned about a friend bought a revenue ticket MUC-HKG (via LHR) on CX for <2000 euro. You had the burning desire to prove my comment was wrong, that you were willing to spend enough time to search ALL CX EU gateways, posted the screenshots just so you could prove that this <2000 euro CX J fare was not impossible, or my information was a BS... Anyone knows the frequency of price changes on airline tickets especially on desirable routes, whether it is revenue or award. It would be a miracle one could find the same price even within a range, comparing to tickets bought a couple months ago... I did comment on your Multi-Screenshots post... I do understand some people have the needs to prove themselves to be right while others are wrong - but taking so much time to find things that essentially are comparing apples to oranges, is an eyeopener to me...

That <2000 euro CX J fares actually returned a few weeks ago for Jan to Apr travel. I mentioned about this, but this time, you did not post another post with screenshots to prove that fares were not possible - now I kinda feel, you may already search again but do find there are indeed <2000 euro fares for sale so you stay quiet... Else I would see yet another screenshots post... Just guessing, no offense...

As for helping others, I am sure you have helped many readers but so do I and many others. Anyone who posts real DPs / Tips / Tricks / whatever that helps to solve an issue, is helping the readers of this site. Let's stop the "exchange" at that.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've found a LAX-xNAN-MEL seat in business on FJ but I'd like to actually originated in ORD. There are indirect flights between ORD and LAX available (e.g. ORD-xSFO-LAX). Can those two feeder flights be added to the two longer flights as one reservation at a total cost of 55K?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by danger
I've found a LAX-xNAN-MEL seat in business on FJ but I'd like to actually originated in ORD. There are indirect flights between ORD and LAX available (e.g. ORD-xSFO-LAX). Can those two feeder flights be added to the two longer flights as one reservation at a total cost of 55K?
Yes, assuming you can find space in E class on AS metal, it will still be 55K miles. You can only have one other airline in addition to AS on a single mileage itinerary. For example you could book your suggested ORD-SFO-LAX all on AS and connect to LAX-NAN-MEL on FJ for 55K miles on a single itinerary, but you could not do ORD-LAX on AA and connect to FJ on a single AS miles itinerary.

If you can only find E space on for example the ORD-SFO, but not the SFO-LAX, you can intermix T class as well, but that will be in coach. For me, the overwater flights are the most important to have in J, and if it all comes down to one short leg in Y to make the rest of the itinerary work, it may well be worth it.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 11:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Midex
Yes, assuming you can find space in E class on AS metal, it will still be 55K miles. You can only have one other airline in addition to AS on a single mileage itinerary. For example you could book your suggested ORD-SFO-LAX all on AS and connect to LAX-NAN-MEL on FJ for 55K miles on a single itinerary, but you could not do ORD-LAX on AA and connect to FJ on a single AS miles itinerary.

If you can only find E space on for example the ORD-SFO, but not the SFO-LAX, you can intermix T class as well, but that will be in coach. For me, the overwater flights are the most important to have in J, and if it all comes down to one short leg in Y to make the rest of the itinerary work, it may well be worth it.
That's very helpful, thank you.

So I can have a domestic AS first seat with the FJ business seats for a 55K total? Using F in the domestic sector(s) doesn't push the price up?

And if I can't book what I want online, can I secure the FJ seats, then phone AS to add the AS feeder without a fee?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Now since you mentioned your displeasure in our exchanges, let's go from the beginning of the exchanges as I remember it, once and for all to set things straight. Related threads are pretty much all over the places in AS and even AA forum but basically boil down to the sequence of "discussions" listed below.
Not even remotely accurate!

With all due respect, it might behoove you to reread the posts you reply to, to fully understand them, so you are relevant to the discussion. Anecdotes, third party experiences & opinions don't make facts. Posting as such, isn't helpful! A little fact finding & links to support you claims would be more helpful than posting inaccuracies. You "fish ball" soup reply didn't even remotely answer the posters question and was, quite frankly, offensive. Nobody is infallible, myself included! When I point out inaccuracies as I do with other posters, it is an opportunity to learn & grow for the good of the community as a whole. Most are receptive to that.

Oh, and there was nothing to win!

James
olouie likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:16 pm

Hi, couple questions:

1. I was going to book an economy flight LAX-NAN-MEL, is there any issue with canceling and re-booking should business availability open up?
2. Is there any way to add a connecting leg on AS or some other carrier from the East coast, or am I stuck booking my own positioning flight?
3. Fiji's flights out of LAX leave at nearly midnight, any recommendations for hotels that will let you book with some kind of day rate or something so you have access to a room closer to departure?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2023, 11:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
1. No, you can change the reservation online or call in
2. You can only add a leg on AS, but you will need saver space in economy to be open
3. I've used dayuse.com before, but not at LAX. I'm partial to the Hyatt Regency because its a quick walk from T6.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by ft543
1. No, you can change the reservation online or call in
2. You can only add a leg on AS, but you will need saver space in economy to be open
3. I've used dayuse.com before, but not at LAX. I'm partial to the Hyatt Regency because its a quick walk from T6.
Thanks! For saver space, that would need to be a 12.5K domestic fare on AS metal? The only 12.5K options I'm seeing are on AA routings (and they're not great). If saver availability did open up, would I be able to just call Alaska and have them tag it on to an existing reservation?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Redeeming on Air Fiji - Weird Things

Anyone has noticed that on both the Alaska Airlines and the American Airlines website, Air Fiji award inventory for regional flights, in particular those flights on ATR72 but also on some of their 737Max can be very weird. Sometimes they display inventory only in business, sometimes they claim that AAA-NAD is only available on business but AAA-NAD-BBB is available on coach all the way with AAA-NAD being on the same flight that was originally quoted to be available only in business. This is really weird.
Any experience on how to deal with these weirdness?

Business on FJ ATR72 has to be a joke by the way, hence why I am not looking to redeem business award but rather coach.
Minos
Old Nov 4, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Minos
Anyone has noticed that on both the Alaska Airlines and the American Airlines website, Air Fiji award inventory for regional flights, in particular those flights on ATR72 but also on some of their 737Max can be very weird. Sometimes they display inventory only in business, sometimes they claim that AAA-NAD is only available on business but AAA-NAD-BBB is available on coach all the way with AAA-NAD being on the same flight that was originally quoted to be available only in business. This is really weird.
Any experience on how to deal with these weirdness?

Business on FJ ATR72 has to be a joke by the way, hence why I am not looking to redeem business award but rather coach.
Minos
The system is quite buggy. I used a mix of AS and AA to find availability in July for LAS-LAX-NAN-SYD for 55k miles each. After I booked it on AS, I was able to get a later flight for LAS to LAX via online change that wasn't shown on my initial search. I would suggest finding a route that works for you, book it, then tinker it after the fact. I was able to change it online with ease.

Last edited by kf2k3; Nov 4, 2023 at 7:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I need to keep an eye on this thread for the next big award seat dump! It’s weird how they do it. Kind of like Qatar. All in batches.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
EOS - Booking Stop Over

If you book EOS, how can one add a stop over in NAN? obviously you arrive +2 so next destination isn't showing up yet. Or am I mistaken?

Can you add a segment a couple days later, or does the whole itin need to be available to be able to add a segment? EX LAX-NAN(X)-AKL

Does inventory usually come back if you cancel? i.e. book LAX-NAN then cancel it when your EOS date to AKL opens up and Book the multicity.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.