Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to Find Fiji Airways (FJ) Awards Using AS miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Find Fiji Airways (FJ) Awards Using AS miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by robsaw
Snagged 2 J YVR-NAN for next March on A350. Just have to monitor for a few days before early morning Pacific time (I think they appeared sometime between 5:30 - 7:00) to snag them as soon as they are released. They get snapped-up fast. I can't say that the pattern of how many and when is consistent.
How was the booking process? Were you able to do it all online or did it require a phone agent?
Old May 6, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
FJ HNL-NAN is operated on a 738M, 8 J seats 2-2 2 rows. Not full-flat but infinitely better than what VX ever had. You can't connect to/from HI on the same award so you need to get yourself there & back whether revenue or additional awards. The mid-Pacific route usually has a stop at another island.

I had 2 J SYD-NAN//NAN-HNL last December but cancelled it when the CXI stop was dropped and it became a non-stop. The CXI stop was the intrigue. CXI is 24 hours ahead of HNL, the flight duration ~3 hours so you arrive in HNL 21 hours before you depart.

James
Did the CXI stop go away for good? I always thought that would be an interesting flight to take if I ever had to get to NAN from HNL....
Old May 6, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
FWIW they released a lot of award space for this summer all at once last August.
pinkhighlighter and CeeCee101 like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
How was the booking process? Were you able to do it all online or did it require a phone agent?
Booking was completely on-line & smooth. Was able to check Fiji confirmation code on their site within a few minutes and select seats. Could download and add flights to Fiji app on smartphone.
Old May 8, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
I was able to book LAX-NAN-SYD roundtrip for 2 last August when they dumped a lot of space for Feb-March 2023. The return only had 1 seat available, but I booked one and checked a few days later another was available.

I was able to book everything online.
Old May 10, 2023, 8:13 pm

So about 5 months out? I don’t want paid J to be gone if we have to end up paying. Not sure how long to wait before throwing in the towel and just buying. We can always use the miles of another trip but this just seemed ideal way to burn them. Thanks everyone.
Old May 12, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by CeeCee101
So about 5 months out? I don’t want paid J to be gone if we have to end up paying. Not sure how long to wait before throwing in the towel and just buying. We can always use the miles of another trip but this just seemed ideal way to burn them. Thanks everyone.
That seems highly unlikely. If revenue management is doing their job, there should be a couple of J seats avaipable for purchase until a day or two prior to departure (and certainly a week before departure) for last-minute transpac business travellers. Pricing of course is another story. I think the issue you may want to keep an eye out for for is for adjacent seat assignments as departure nears if that's critical to you. You can also purchase and cancel if award seats become available (often the week before departure) but check the cancellation penalties first of course.
Old May 12, 2023, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by CeeCee101
It's not five months out. It's completely random when they release traunches of award space. Last major one was in August 2022.
PurpleMonkey likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I just did something similar with Fiji Air for a trip to New Zealand next January. Based on my experience, I'd plan on looking as soon as your earliest departure date shows as available on the Alaska website. I even started looking a month early, just to get a feel for what was being released. Check out of LAX, SFO & YVR. LAX is daily while SFO was Tues, Thurs, Fri while I was looking and YVR was Mon/Fri (outbound). On the outbound, we got one business class seat and one coach. I keep checking sporadically to see if another business class seat gets released. On the return, I scored two business class seats on the first date that my return would work. If you're checking more than 330 days in advance, you'll know when the seats are released (coach will always be available and they'll tell you if you're looking too soon). In the winter, it was for me, 3 AM Alaska Standard time, when the next day's seats became available. With daylight savings time, it is now 4 AM in AK when the seats furthest in advance (330 days?) are released. This will be 5 AM PDT. I am frequently awake in the middle of the night, so I would check periodically until the next available date showed up. If you're not an insomniac like me, I'd recommend checking as soon as you wake up in the morning. I know I scored those two return seats right after they were released. As of today (May 17), April 12, 2024, is the earliest you can get a ticket for next year. This morning there were two business awards, SFO to NAN, available for April 11, but they're gone now. There is one on April 9 still available. As already noted, Fiji Air does not release their data to Expert Flyer, but I set up a bunch of alerts for other potential flights on other airlines and so far nothing else has popped up. But I'd recommend playing with the website a year in advance to see what is being released and so you can get a feel for exactly when your earliest departure date will be available on the Alaska website. It appears that Fiji Air is releasing one or two seats at the maximum in advance, but then no more. Do your outbound & return separately and hopefully two seats will be available for you on the earliest date possible. Good Luck.
beckoa likes this.

Last edited by pipeliner; May 17, 2023 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:13 am

Tons of availability out of LAX Jan (most days), Feb (most days), March (basically everyday), April (everyday), May (everyday), June (everyday until 331 out). Seeing 2+ seats. Get it while it lasts!
kalderlake and ft543 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ellipsicon
Tons of availability out of LAX Jan (most days), Feb (most days), March (basically everyday), April (everyday), May (everyday), June (everyday until 331 out). Seeing 2+ seats. Get it while it lasts!
Thank you very much! Just scored two J seats in Jan for our layover on the way to New Zealand.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you book an itinerary with a stopover at NAN then onto AKL?

Whenever I used Multicity the LAX-NAN that had J availability turned to Main Cabin, versus having a Mixed Cabin award. Is the stopover must be a call in to book, cannot be booked online?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
How do you book an itinerary with a stopover at NAN then onto AKL?

Whenever I used Multicity the LAX-NAN that had J availability turned to Main Cabin, versus having a Mixed Cabin award. Is the stopover must be a call in to book, cannot be booked online?
No need to call, I booked two J yesterday with a NAN stopover before NAN-SYD.

James
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No need to call, I booked two J yesterday with a NAN stopover before NAN-SYD.

James
What is your routing?

The LAX-NAN as one way has J seats but LAX-NAN, NAN-AKL or SYD, when combined, removed the J seats on the long haul. I wonder if there is AS segment before the gateway makes a difference because a friend just booked a PDX-SFO-NAN, NAN-AKL online. The difference between his and my playing around is he started from an AS city while mine playing around started from Fiji gateway.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
What is your routing?

The LAX-NAN as one way has J seats but LAX-NAN, NAN-AKL or SYD, when combined, removed the J seats on the long haul. I wonder if there is AS segment before the gateway makes a difference because a friend just booked a PDX-SFO-NAN, NAN-AKL online. The difference between his and my playing around is he started from an AS city while mine playing around started from Fiji gateway.
The awards I booked are from a Fiji gateway. Your post in the Flame Free thread is a cross post. Where would be best to reply?

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.